Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 20 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 05-02-2019, 03:07 AM   #1
spartaneers
Bat Boy

Could someone post a random debut historical league setup they enjoy?

I've never done one but have wanted to the last couple years. For statistical purposes, what starting year/era do you find a good balance at? How are minor leagues handled? What tips do you have for someone looking to start and maintain their first random debut historical league?

Thanks!
spartaneers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 09:38 AM   #2
royalblue5
All Star Reserve

Ive never done a random debut league, therefore, i cannot off up any suggestions.

This is a great game with a great group of followers, sorry that I offered no help

I just didn't want the lack of a response to discourage you from finding your niche in this game
royalblue5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 11:03 AM   #3
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartaneers View Post
I've never done one but have wanted to the last couple years. For statistical purposes, what starting year/era do you find a good balance at? How are minor leagues handled? What tips do you have for someone looking to start and maintain their first random debut historical league?

Thanks!
I think when you start probably depends on what type of baseball you enjoy. I often find it fun to start in or around 1947 and simply let the game follow history. The 50's, 60's, 70 and 80's are a blast and you get to watch the game evolve. Remember, you can always change strategies to whatever you like as well, so playing in the 50's with teams trotting out closers is not impossible.

I also enjoy picking a season to use as my base. I've used 74,78, 82 and 84 plenty of times.

I recommend using 1901 as a minimum year. This is just my opinion, but I don't like the way the pre 1901 guys behave in a random debut league. Especially the pitchers.

If you use recalc, I recommend leaving development on as well. The combo of the two works great. This will ensure that when a guy plays past his final real year he still evolves. For example, Sandy Koufax's final real season was a monster super hero like performance. Without development you stand the chance of Koufax recreating that same year over and over into his 40's.

Use the historical wizard to set up your league. I know folks love to try random using custom league, but it's full of pitfalls. Use the historical wizard. If your desire is to edit the real life structure of a league you can always do so after the league is created Simply uncheck the box for historical expansion and edit to your hearts desire.

As for minors, I don't use them. I simply use reserve rosters. Players in random leagues debut the year they made their actual MLB debuts, therefore you don't have to run them through 3 levels of minors to get them ready. When you create a league, there will be enough players for each team to have 44 players. So if you use 25 man rosters you will only have 19 players at the minor league level to start. I also prefer small draft size when playing random. I use 4-6 rounds each year. I will increase the rounds if I know I want to expand my league.

If you use recalc, choose 3 or 5 year. I used to love 1 year, but things started getting a little crazy a few versions back. Markus said 3 or 5 year were the better options when it comes to random. Recalc is optional. If you desire, you can simply turn recalc off and go 100% with the OOTP development engine.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 12:54 PM   #4
Reed
All Star Starter

If you want players to somewhat mimic their real life career use recalc (even with recalc, their stats can vary quite a bit from real life). If you do not want them to follow their real life career, then use the development engine alone.
Reed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 06:35 PM   #5
Maximum Jay
Bat Boy

I'll piggyback off of this, since I'm having some trouble wrapping my head around some of the same questions.

I've been trying to start a fantasy type league using historical players. Start around 1920 or so, using the real MLB teams at the time. First year player draft to fill the rosters and then let the league evolve and expand naturally after that.

Two questions...

When I'm drafting the initial rosters, player ages are all randomized. I could have a 19 year-old Mike Trout, or a 38 year-old Ichiro. This is fine for the first draft, but in upcoming player drafts, is there a way to ensure that players enter at their rookie age?

More importantly...stats. I'm choosing the ootp development engine, and I've tried setting up a league like this a few times now, but the numbers are always weird after I sim the initial season. No player with an average over .200, virtually every starting pitcher has 500 K's. I'm not quite sure what I'm doing wrong here.
Maximum Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 12:49 AM   #6
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Go nuts in this thread. I'm not around much right now, but feel free to post any questions you have about it in here.

OOTP post re-FG IDs here: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...postcount=3198

My DB which restores Fed Leaguers here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZoN...B2GCcULxt/view

Instructions for the DB: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...07&postcount=9

actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 03:54 PM   #7
plannine
All Star Reserve

After the initial draft, most players come in at the age they were during their first MLB season. (The only exception, which i have not experienced, might be players who had a inconsistent mlb career, with large gaps in their playing time due to injury, full seasons in the minors or military service)

In my playing with random, I try to have a limit on growth, so I have used the late 1890's as my starting date, with players from any 10 year time period for the initial season.
I will usually take any HOF'ers who show up in the initial draft, late in their career out of the draft (delete), import a new rookie version of them

The first season, I usually select 1948 as my base, and I play around with the modifiers (after every 2 weeks or so) until the league leader stats look close to what I want the league to look like.I usually make small adjustments over time, but try to keep things under control (1950's numbers). Each season my draft pool settings are 5 & 15 (NO MINORS) After the first year, I expand the player pool 10 years in both directions, and do so each year until all players a included. Since my focus is to have reasonable league leaders, the league totals can (and will) be a bit off. Long as I don't have people hitting 200 home runs, stealing 200 bases or striking out 200 batters in 100 innings pitched, I am happy.

Another thing you could do, is to run the initial draft, release all players, delete all free agents, then import whatever players that you want in your first season.

Last edited by plannine; 05-12-2019 at 09:47 PM.
plannine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 02:18 PM   #8
USF
All Star Starter

Thumbs up

Appreciate the responses, this helped me setup a league.

USF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 05:14 PM   #9
USF
All Star Starter

Is there a chance to have in such a league more than 1 of the same player at the same timeie., Could Steve Carlton be drafted at 37 yrs old then reappear as a rookie in a draft upcoming?? Also if a player retires is there a possibility that this same player reappears again at a different or same age?

Last edited by USF; 07-12-2019 at 05:59 PM.
USF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 11:56 AM   #10
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by USF View Post
Is there a chance to have in such a league more than 1 of the same player at the same timeie., Could Steve Carlton be drafted at 37 yrs old then reappear as a rookie in a draft upcoming?? Also if a player retires is there a possibility that this same player reappears again at a different or same age?
That would be a bug.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote