Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP Mods Logos, roster packs, historical databases, OOTP tools, FaceGen files... it's all here!

Old 07-18-2008, 12:05 PM   #41
Simmo13
All Star Reserve

Neags, I've used the team rater and the results are really intriguing,not least because my team is rated the worst in the entire set-up (2X 8 team leagues) and I'd hoped it was marginally better than that!!
It's just occurred to me that as my league is deadball period that I should be altering the weightings as power is down, starting pitching is much more important, and fielding is fairly porous.I wonder if you have any thoughts on how i might adjust things.
Simmo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 12:29 PM   #42
Neags23
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmo13 View Post
Neags, I've used the team rater and the results are really intriguing,not least because my team is rated the worst in the entire set-up (2X 8 team leagues) and I'd hoped it was marginally better than that!!
It's just occurred to me that as my league is deadball period that I should be altering the weightings as power is down, starting pitching is much more important, and fielding is fairly porous.I wonder if you have any thoughts on how i might adjust things.
Hmmm.... interesting thoughts about a weight for power. It could be argued that power is even more important since there's such a lack of it, and starting pitching should be weighted down since it's so readily available. I'm honestly not sure, though, since I haven't played with any deadball era leagues.

You can really just play with the weights until you get the right balance.

For my leagues (which tend to be 1980s-ish for league totals numbers), I tend to put a premium on starting pitching (at least 40%), put batting at around 30%, put almost nothing for fielding (5%), about 15% for bullpen and about 10% for bench.

That will obviously change based on what each person views as more important.

I think the nice thing is that you can see the actual batting ratings, pitching ratings, etc, while the overall ratings are subjective.

I might go in and make the contact/power/eye/stuff/movement/control ratings customizable for the various eras so you can put less emphasis on power for a deadball era league, for example.

See, this is why I love feedback!

Former GM Washburn Sea Wolves Dog Days Baseball - 1981 & 1986 Kennel Cup Champions
Neags23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 01:38 PM   #43
Simmo13
All Star Reserve

Thanks for your thoughts. My new 2009 league is only in the first season so I'm still finding out about all the teams and their strengths and weaknesses but I'll use the team rater at regular intervals and try different weightings. I shall report back to you!
Old 07-18-2008, 02:59 PM   #44
Greatgrampa
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasnell View Post
Greatgrandpa sets a great example. I haven't used your utility yet, but have followed the thread ever since you first posted and might try it in the future. I also appreciate the work of all the modders like you.
Thank you sir. I appreciate the compliment.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:10 PM   #45
Greatgrampa
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neags23 View Post
Hmmm.... interesting thoughts about a weight for power. It could be argued that power is even more important since there's such a lack of it, and starting pitching should be weighted down since it's so readily available. I'm honestly not sure, though, since I haven't played with any deadball era leagues.

You can really just play with the weights until you get the right balance.

For my leagues (which tend to be 1980s-ish for league totals numbers), I tend to put a premium on starting pitching (at least 40%), put batting at around 30%, put almost nothing for fielding (5%), about 15% for bullpen and about 10% for bench.

That will obviously change based on what each person views as more important.

I think the nice thing is that you can see the actual batting ratings, pitching ratings, etc, while the overall ratings are subjective.

I might go in and make the contact/power/eye/stuff/movement/control ratings customizable for the various eras so you can put less emphasis on power for a deadball era league, for example.

See, this is why I love feedback!
Interesting ratings you have set up. Much different than mine would be for that decade. And that's why your program would be great with all of those other additional settings made available.
I wouldn't rate starting pitching more than 10 percent. In fact, when I get to that era of relievers, I am going to get rid of all of my starters and just use relievers on my team. Well, I know that is different but it has been something I have always thought about since starting pitching suddenly didn't mean as much as it used to. I would also rate defense much higher than you do. If you look at most of the teams who have made it to the big show, most of them were excellent fielding teams. Bullpen, of course, I would have a lot higher and I would probably rate batting maybe five percent higher than bench. That's what makes a great team also, its bench strength. Of course everyone has their own opinions on what ratings they would like to use, which is why having all of those ratings, and more available in your program is a great idea and something I would certainly want to see as a user.

Anyway, again, thanks for the program and keep whittling away at it. I am sure you will.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:53 PM   #46
lighthousekeeper
All Star Reserve

I just downloaded and used the Team Rater. Thanks for this neat little mod!
Old 07-21-2008, 09:26 PM   #47
Neags23
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
I just downloaded and used the Team Rater. Thanks for this neat little mod!
Sure thing.

Keep an eye out over the next few days for a huge update for it....

Former GM Washburn Sea Wolves Dog Days Baseball - 1981 & 1986 Kennel Cup Champions
Old 07-23-2008, 05:31 PM   #48
Neags23
All Star Starter

Talking New TeamRater!

The newest version of TeamRater (v 1.5) is released!

This includes a lot of new features, including almost every suggestion in the thread.

Among the new features:
Now Includes Potential Ratings
Can Get Ratings for Minor League Teams
Adjust Individual Batting and Pitching Weights
A Column Selector -- Only Get the Data You Want
Save Your Column Configuration
In Executable Format -- No more stupid setup.exe that wants to download the .NET framework -- No more installations necessary -- Just run the .exe and you're ready to go.

This is a pretty stable release, but as always, I'm sure there are bugs lingering in there somewhere. Please report them so I can get my can of RAID and exterminate!

And as always, comments, further suggestions (and beautiful women) are welcome.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:57 PM   #49
Solonor
Hall Of Famer

Woo hoo!

"Beings will come, Frodo. The one constant through all the years has been baseball. Middle Earth has rolled by like an army of Mumakil. It has been erased like a slate, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Frodo. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... beings will come Frodo. Beings will most definitely come." - Gladden Field of Dreams
Solonor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:54 PM   #50
Raidergoo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The newest version of TeamRater (v 1.5) is released!
I don't seem to be able to see a link.
Raidergoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 09:28 PM   #51
Neags23
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raidergoo View Post
I don't seem to be able to see a link.
It's in my sig.

Old 07-25-2008, 05:29 AM   #52
Simmo13
All Star Reserve

Neags , have tried to download the new version several times but when I try to run the program I get the "stopped working and needs to close" type windows message.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:45 AM   #53
kq76
Global Moderator

Nice work! I haven't tried it yet, but I've read the thread and it looks good. Now that you've put in the fully configurable weights, I'm sure more people will be interested in it.

Quote:
I've debated this in my head off and one for a good long while now. Not so much power and the deadball era, but more pitchers and low scoring environments, but other situations as well.

While what you say might make sense in other scenarios (scarce = valuable), I don't think it does with respect to the deadball era and power. If something very impactful happens but only very infrequently, is it really that valuable? Keep in mind we are talking the deadball era, not an era where all but one person (read: Babe Ruth) didn't hit for power. No one really did. I'm not an expert on the deadball era as it's never really intrigued me, but what little I know of it tells me that power wasn't that important.

The harder question in my mind is the aforementioned pitchers in low-scoring environments. In that type of environment there's seemingly not that much variance between pitchers so should you go more after hitters where there clearly still is a lot of variance or pitchers where a great one will make it even harder on the opposition when it's already very hard to score? The seeming variance tells me to go more after hitters, but I'm just not sure especially since pitchers pitched so much back then.

With how little pitchers, even the best ones, pitch nowadays, I'd rate pitching less important than hitting now. There is a point to be made with how more effective pitchers are in relief, but still, when your best guys (and it's really more about them due to replacement level player theory) are pitching so little it's a bit like the deadball era and power question. Something impactful used infrequently enough could certainly be less valuable than something that is less impactful but occurs much more frequently.

Contrasting that with low scoring environments of yesteryear, however, leads you to believe that pitchers were much more important than hitters back then despite variance which brings you right back to square one. It's pretty easy to say that pitchers were much more important back then than they are today; it's much, much, harder to say whereabouts the weights should be in a given era. This is just a shot in the dark, but just talking pitching and hitting I'd say it's gone from 60/40 to 40/60, respectively.
kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 11:13 AM   #54
Neags23
All Star Starter

Quote:
Neags , have tried to download the new version several times but when I try to run the program I get the "stopped working and needs to close" type windows message.
Just running the .exe right?

You have .NET 2.0 installed?

Old 07-25-2008, 11:42 AM   #55
Neags23
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kq76 View Post
Nice work! I haven't tried it yet, but I've read the thread and it looks good. Now that you've put in the fully configurable weights, I'm sure more people will be interested in it.

I've debated this in my head off and one for a good long while now. Not so much power and the deadball era, but more pitchers and low scoring environments, but other situations as well.

While what you say might make sense in other scenarios (scarce = valuable), I don't think it does with respect to the deadball era and power. If something very impactful happens but only very infrequently, is it really that valuable? Keep in mind we are talking the deadball era, not an era where all but one person (read: Babe Ruth) didn't hit for power. No one really did. I'm not an expert on the deadball era as it's never really intrigued me, but what little I know of it tells me that power wasn't that important.

The harder question in my mind is the aforementioned pitchers in low-scoring environments. In that type of environment there's seemingly not that much variance between pitchers so should you go more after hitters where there clearly still is a lot of variance or pitchers where a great one will make it even harder on the opposition when it's already very hard to score? The seeming variance tells me to go more after hitters, but I'm just not sure especially since pitchers pitched so much back then.

With how little pitchers, even the best ones, pitch nowadays, I'd rate pitching less important than hitting now. There is a point to be made with how more effective pitchers are in relief, but still, when your best guys (and it's really more about them due to replacement level player theory) are pitching so little it's a bit like the deadball era and power question. Something impactful used infrequently enough could certainly be less valuable than something that is less impactful but occurs much more frequently.

Contrasting that with low scoring environments of yesteryear, however, leads you to believe that pitchers were much more important than hitters back then despite variance which brings you right back to square one. It's pretty easy to say that pitchers were much more important back then than they are today; it's much, much, harder to say whereabouts the weights should be in a given era. This is just a shot in the dark, but just talking pitching and hitting I'd say it's gone from 60/40 to 40/60, respectively.

Interesting thoughts. I can see your argument that since no one hits for power, it's not valuable.

If that's the case, though, putting say 50% of emphasis on power shouldn't be any different than putting 20% on power. No one has any, so it doesn't matter what weight you put on it. However, by putting 50% instead of 20%, if a Babe Ruth type player does come along, it makes that team/player that much more valuable.

It's all a bit of a moot point in regards to the mod, though, since it's fully configurable now and you can test it both ways to see what results feel better.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:55 AM   #56
Raidergoo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It's in my sig.
Heh. I have those turned off.

Got the app now.
Raidergoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 01:49 AM   #57
mcarlisle21
Minors (Double A)

Quote:

I get the same error. I have NET installed. This is what the error log says.

Description:
Stopped working

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01: teamrater.exe
Problem Signature 02: 1.0.0.0
Problem Signature 03: 488a339b
Problem Signature 04: mscorlib
Problem Signature 05: 2.0.0.0
Problem Signature 06: 47577b16
Problem Signature 07: 3404
Problem Signature 08: 15a
Problem Signature 09: System.UnauthorizedAccess
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
mcarlisle21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:10 AM   #58
DreamTeams
Hall Of Famer

This is a powerful little utility. Started using it tonight on my solo league and love it. Can't wait to try it as preview for the beginning of next season. Thanks.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:29 PM   #59
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Finally got my league to Spring Training so I thought I'd try out the program. Can't get it to run. All I get is the error message below every time. Any hints?
Attached Images
Old 08-09-2008, 11:48 AM   #60
Simmo13
All Star Reserve

I'm having no luck getting the new version to work.