Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 05-09-2019, 06:45 AM   #1
Gutie
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Unhappy "Historical" Simulations (Complaints/Disappointment)

This is my first time doing a historical sim, I've gotten the game each year since 15, and enjoyed the present day sims, but I have to say, I don't see any reason whatsoever to bother with historical sim at all if I'm playing in the past decade or two, when *** players have made a major impact on the game. Can you imagine doing a file in the late 90s/2000 and Ichiro never shows up?

Not having *** as part of the sim defeats the whole point of me doing a historical sim if a source of quality talent is non-existent.

If I'm playing with an isolated sim with a bunch of mediocre independent leagues but not even Japanese pros that is a total flop on my end. I was expecting to be able to make the move to get a few players from Japan for my own club, but I can't even do that.

This isn't me trying to play in the 1970s when rosters would be sketchy at best in determining stats of players. Hell, you could just make it mandatory to flesh out the rosters aside from well known players if you wanted. I'm not picky in that regard. Just give me SOMETHING tangible. It makes plenty of sense in say 1920 to have an isolated MLB/US market, but in 2000s/2010s having *** not around as a factor? Absurd.

Also, why do you guys not have historical owners for MLB teams? Can't be that hard to have the correct owners in the 2000s (How do you not have owners who are still around today at a minimum? Does George Steinbrenner not exist in the sims either??? Unthinkable if so.)

All I can say is Historical sim, although nice, with OOTP is inferior to that of a certian other PC based baseball sim. The current year sim is unmatched on the platform, but man, I'm both confused and frustrated that a supposed major component of OOTP has been this lacking the whole time. I'll go back to doing a 2019 sim. Just sucks I can't even get a real experience of the sim from the 2000s even. I'm not even angry, just incredibly let down that upon getting this year's game to finally jump into a historical sim, and its just such an inferior sim from the current season one (In terms of some things I would expect personally).

Last edited by Gutie; 05-09-2019 at 06:47 AM.
Gutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 07:21 AM   #2
Reed
All Star Starter

I guess it depends on what you think is important. Some want historical stadiums, some want historical managers, some want historical owners, etc.. I play historical to get a better sense of how the different eras played and to get a feel of the actual major league players in seasons and careers and I think OOTP does a very good job of that.
In this other game you alluded to, how much would it cost to get all the seasons from 1901 to present day? Also do the owners (actual owners) from say season 1942 interact with the GM about expectations, etc.?
Reed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 01:39 PM   #3
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

*** is not currently in the historical sim as the color barrier needs to be updated to account for Asian players.

As far as owners go I have Bey and Tay-Tay and others instead of the boring real ones.
Old 05-09-2019, 03:32 PM   #4
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Can I ask a stupid question? If OOTP has real owners, are they real owners in name only or would the OOTP George Steinbrenner know he's George Steinbrenner and for instance deal away Jay Buhner?
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 04:42 AM   #5
Gutie
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritze View Post
*** is not currently in the historical sim as the color barrier needs to be updated to account for Asian players.

As far as owners go I have Bey and Tay-Tay and others instead of the boring real ones.
I only postulate that aspect in the context of more modern times in the 90s and later even. (Nomo/Suzuki/Matsui/etc) As they are impact and leaving out a mechanic such as that seems really empty and disappointing for me. Prior to the 1990s *** had high quality talent and was also a league solid players who couldn't find a market went to (Soriano, albiet that was more recent, comes to mind), but for various reasons wasn't really tapped into much.

Even if it was a simple matter of only being optional for later start dates like 1990 or 1992 (just before Hideo Nomo came over) it'd go a long way to improving the experience and realism we get done well in the Current season's meta and would also avoid the color barrier issue too, also again notworthy players would be there, but autofilled in for the rest of it based on perceived club strength, Tigers decent with Seibu Lions a juggernaut and Giants having good rosters, young talent on Swallows, a young Ichiro on Orix and Matsui on GIants, etc.

One other thing I've noticed that seems very off this year is when you include independent leagues. You can offer minor league deals to players in their 20s and they'll somehow scoop them away only offering 10-20k to them.

The teams also are given market size ratings of 6 across the board (and even one I noticed had a market size rating of 7), which is totally absurd given that's the same market size of numerous MLB clubs. Some are even in the same cities as MLB clubs, with same market ratings. Could anyone explain to me how this works with independent leagues having market sizes the same as MLB clubs?

Last edited by Gutie; 05-11-2019 at 04:46 AM.
Gutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 06:58 AM   #6
Pirates
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Can I ask a stupid question? If OOTP has real owners, are they real owners in name only or would the OOTP George Steinbrenner know he's George Steinbrenner and for instance deal away Jay Buhner?

What the hell did you trade Jay Buhner for?!? He had 30 home runs, and over 100 RBIs last year. He’s got a rocket for an arm. You don’t know what the hell you’re doin’!
Pirates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 03:37 PM   #7
Mr. Marlin
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirates View Post
What the hell did you trade Jay Buhner for?!? He had 30 home runs, and over 100 RBIs last year. He’s got a rocket for an arm. You don’t know what the hell you’re doin’!
"Buhner was a good prospect, no question about it. But my baseball people loved Ken Phelps bat. They said Ken Phelps, Ken Phelps..."

Great scene!
Mr. Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote