Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > iOOTP Baseball > iOOTP - General Discussions

iOOTP - General Discussions Talk about iOOTP Baseball, the baseball management simulation for iPhone/iPod/iPad

Old 02-06-2013, 08:56 PM   #1
Danbgs
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Wrigley Field

Apparently the program isn't taking the wall height into effect when computing ground rule doubles. There is no way a ball can bounce over the fence at Wrigley, the wall is about 20 feet tall with a basket on top of that. That got me wondering, are there park effects built in, is it easier to hit homers in small parks, easier to get ground balls through on turf, easier to hit foul outs in parks with large foul grounds?
Danbgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:38 PM   #2
TribeFanInNC
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, actually the full game doesn't take that into account either. You'll have to bend reality a bit to account for that. Pretend it got caught in the ivy instead (a legitmate play at Wrigley).
TribeFanInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:59 PM   #3
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbgs View Post
Apparently the program isn't taking the wall height into effect when computing ground rule doubles. There is no way a ball can bounce over the fence at Wrigley, the wall is about 20 feet tall with a basket on top of that. That got me wondering, are there park effects built in, is it easier to hit homers in small parks, easier to get ground balls through on turf, easier to hit foul outs in parks with large foul grounds?
The basket is not on top of the wall at Wrigley, it is under the wall by 2 feet at its base and is slightly under the level of the wall. The wall height at Wrigley is 15 feet in the corners and 11.5 in other parts and balls will occasionally bounce over the wall, although a few times a year.
The park factors are a part of the game. Average for lefties & righties, 2B, 3B, homeruns for Righties and lefties. The rest doesn't matter. It would be nice to incorporate foul ground into the parks like Wrigley where you will not catch a ball in the OF corners in foul ground unless you are sitting in row 1 or in McAfee where you have 10+ feet of foul ground in the OF.
If you use the park factors of say LA Coliseum where righties hit 1.301 HR you could set the wall distance and height at 1 million feet and people will still hit 60+ HR a year in that park. Wind does play a factor in Wrigley since I use that park for my Chicago Fire. Foul ground does not play a factor at all.
The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:32 AM   #4
Danbgs
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanks for the info. I personally can't remember ever seeing a ball bounce into the stands at Wrigley and I've been watching games there for 50 years. Of course I don't watch EVERY game, so maybe it does happen, but I've seen it several times now while playing the games. Foul ground can have a big impact on batting average and Era, maybe newer versions of the game will include it.
Danbgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:09 PM   #5
ihatenames
Hall Of Famer

I remember Jeff Baker hit one a few years ago. That's the only one I can think of off the top of my head.