Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 12-31-2018, 07:48 PM   #1
daves
Hall Of Famer

Difference between defense ratings and Position ratings?

So if I have a 3b that I move to 2b will range, error, arm and turn DP remain the same as a 2b? What do the position ratings represent? Isn't defense ratings more relevant?
Attached Images

daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 08:11 PM   #2
monkeyman576
Hall Of Famer

From what I understand, defensive ratings could change based on natural development, but not because of a position change. Position ability represets your ability to play each individual position while defensive ratings are your natural defensive abilities regardless of position. If you have 60 30 30 RF LF CF and 50 arm and range, you should probably play RF even though the defensive ratings are the same.

Last edited by monkeyman576; 12-31-2018 at 08:14 PM.
monkeyman576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 10:19 PM   #3
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

position ratings include experience at the specific position

defensive ratings do not
Old 01-01-2019, 12:57 AM   #4
daves
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritze View Post
position ratings include experience at the specific position

defensive ratings do not
So throwing this 3b at 2b for experience means his defense ratings will be the same as 2b?

daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 03:40 AM   #5
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

Until experience is gained he will be a 3 not a 97.

Every game played at 2b will add experience so he will slowly ramp up over the next year or two.
Old 01-01-2019, 10:44 AM   #6
BMW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves View Post
So throwing this 3b at 2b for experience means his defense ratings will be the same as 2b?
No, not quite that simple. Each position has ratings that are important for it. In your example it's less important because they are all fairly high and consistent. Here's a quick cheat sheet. And the best part is that it's fairly logical when you think about it.

P - Never really looked closely at this - it's probably like a 1B. But frankly, I don't think anyone is looking at a batter and saying "I wish I had a guy who could have a 100 Def at P, and I'll just live with the 20-10-20 pitching ratings."

C - Obviously a special position, it has it's own base ratings.

1B - Most players above the minimum IF Error and IF Range (maybe about 30-ish) will make an okay 1B. Once you start getting higher than that, the player might be better off as a 2B or 3B. No real minimums here though.

2B - The key ratings here are IF Range and Turn DP. IF Error obviously has some weight too as if will for all the other IF positions. On a 1-200 scale, you need a minimum of 60 DP, 50 Error, 40 Range and 10 Arm. (Bear in mind if you have a guy just meeting all the minimums, he will have a rating, but he will be terrible). The minimums may be a bit out of date, I compiled it for earlier versions of OOTP, but will at least be in the ballpark.

3B - The key ratings here are IF Arm by far, and IF Error and Range second. On a 1-200 scale, you need min of 80 Arm, 40 Error, 40 Range and 20 DP.

SS - The toughest IF position. You need to have a very high Range, and virtually everything else is important too. On a 1-200 scale, you need min of 80 Range, 60 DP, 50 Arm and 50 Error.

LF - The easiest OF position. Range and Error are the bigger factors, with Arm not as crucial as in RF. No real minimums though.

CF - Range is the overwhelming need here, and it also requires a decent Arm and Error. Has the highest minimum rating of any position. On a 1-200 scale, you need min of 90 Range, 40 Arm and 40 Error.

RF - Here, the Arm is most important, you'll always find that if you have a corner OF and the guy has a strong Arm, his rating will always be higher in RF once he's gotten the experience. No real minimums though.

Last edited by BMW; 01-01-2019 at 10:45 AM.
BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 10:54 AM   #7
Drstrangelove
Major Leagues

Quote:
Two players with identical editor scores (not scout ratings), in range, error, arm and turn DP, with the same amount of XP at the same position will have the same position rating scores once ratings are recalculated.

Scout ratings of course can vary for other reasons, so there's no certainty unless one has 100% accuracy.
Drstrangelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:14 PM   #8
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Someone else addressed the position difficulty question, but in addition to that, if you're playing real players with development turned off, it is my belief you can't teach someone a new position.

OTOH, if you have development turned on a guy who played all over the field and did a good or better job everywhere (thinking of Cesar Tovar since he's in my current game) won't be able to play all those positions.
Brad K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:20 PM   #9
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

You can have both development ON and have recalc ON at the same time and therefore get the best of both or the worst of both depending on your point of view.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:51 PM   #10
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried something with recalc, can't quite remember what.
Old 01-03-2019, 02:52 PM   #11
bobbycockstrong
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
So if I have a 3b that I move to 2b will range, error, arm and turn DP remain the same as a 2b? What do the position ratings represent? Isn't defense ratings more relevant?
If you play this guy at 2b, with those defensive ratings he likely will have a 70+ rating at 2b within a month or two of "experience" at regular play. One good tip for changing positions is to play someone at the desired position during spring training.
bobbycockstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 03:23 PM   #12
stealofhome
Hall Of Famer

Huckleberry posted a position formula based on biggerme's work that still seems to be relevant for 19. You can plug the ratings in there to see what final approximate positional rating a player can get, assuming they fill up all the experience.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...d.php?t=277698
stealofhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 03:29 PM   #13
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealofhome View Post
Huckleberry posted a position formula based on biggerme's work that still seems to be relevant for 19. You can plug the ratings in there to see what final approximate positional rating a player can get, assuming they fill up all the experience.

Amazing stuff
Old 01-03-2019, 04:15 PM   #14
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Yep, basically position ratings = defense ratings + experience. Play a guy at a position, he'll improve there until he hits his "max" experience. You'll suffer as he learns, but it can be worth it in the end. And as mentioned, spring training is the ideal time, since you presumably don't care nearly as much if you lose
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 11:21 AM   #15
yankeefan1024
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealofhome View Post

does anybody still have this?

link appears broken
yankeefan1024 is offline   Reply With Quote