Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 19 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 04-21-2018, 05:06 PM   #1
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

The RDL OOTP 19 Style

My currant random debut league. Starts in 1974. Plan as of right now is to use 1974 as my base. 5 year recalc. I'm giving the reserve clause a go to start. If I see too many non retirees, I may go to free agency.

The International League
East
Buffalo Bison
Columbus Clippers
Indianapolis Indians
Syracuse Chiefs
Toledo Mud Hens

West
Birmingham Barons
Louisville Bats
Memphis Redbirds
Nashville Sounds
New Orleans Baby Cakes

Pacific Coast League
East
Albuquerque Isotopes
Colorado Springs Sky Sox
El Paso Chihuahuas
Salt Lake Bees
San Antonio Missions

West
Fresno Grizzlies
Las Vegas 51s
Reno Aces
Sacramento River Cats
Tacoma Rainiers
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 05:01 PM   #2
italyprof
All Star Reserve

Looks great David. Let us know how it goes. If I remember, you don't manage a team, right?
italyprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 04:33 PM   #3
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by italyprof View Post
Looks great David. Let us know how it goes. If I remember, you don't manage a team, right?

Yep. David Watts and I are the co-chairmen of the Random Debut Weirdo Club (TM).
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 05:58 PM   #4
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Thumbs up

And I am a proud weirdo who hopes to become a club member some day. I spend far too much time messing with my Historical Random Debut but enjoy almost every minute
JaBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 07:50 PM   #5
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaBurns View Post
And I am a proud weirdo who hopes to become a club member some day. I spend far too much time messing with my Historical Random Debut but enjoy almost every minute

Oh you are most definitely in the club sir.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:39 PM   #6
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

I am a fan of the club but I don’t actually randomly debut anyone.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:17 AM   #7
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Well as usual, I am going through another start, stop and start over phase. So, as of right now the above league is on hold. I haven't deleted it and my continue to sim a season here or there.

All the while I was playing the above league, I had a gravitational pull yanking me back towards my true love a one subleague format. I love small leagues. So, here is my new RDL, the Midwest League

Beloit Snappers
Bowling Green Hot Rods
Cedar Rapids Kernels
Dayton Dragons
Fort Wayne TinCaps
Great Lakes Loons
Lansing Lugnuts
Lake County Captains
Peoria Chiefs
Quad Cites River Bandits
West Michigain Whitecaps
Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

154 games schedule. Everyone plays each other 14 times. Top three teams make the postseason. Best record earns bye in first round. Wildcard series, is a best of seven as is the league championship series.

League is using 1978 as a base year. If I grow bored with this, I reserve the right to use random years between 1978-1986. But, for the time being, I will stick with 78. I did change use of closers to often, from sometimes.

To start I am using the reserve clause and since I have full rosters due to deleting 14 teams to get down to 12 teams, I am limiting the amateur draft to just 4 rounds. I will eventually go to 5 or 6, but feel a 4 is best for now.
I should finish season one tonight or tomorrow.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:31 AM   #8
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Is there anyway to insure that teams keep there reserve rosters of 15 players full? I have AAA teams not signing FAs.

Last edited by JaBurns; 05-24-2018 at 09:33 AM.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:40 AM   #9
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Is there anyway to insure that teams keep there reserve rosters of 15 players full? I have AAA teams not signing FAs.
I will start to panic if any of the teams in my league get below 25 players on their reserve roster. That will be a sure sign that I need a larger draft. I prefer reserve rosters to be at least 30 deep. I play with injuries set to normal and I despise seeing catchers play shortstop.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:27 AM   #10
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

The first season has been a blast.

The Wisconsin Rattlers have led from day one, sometimes by as many as 15 games. They currently sit 9 1/2 games up on the Bowling Green Hot Rods. Wisconsin is loaded on the mound, featuring a 34 year old Randy Johnson, Rube Waddell, Johnny Cueto and Nathan Eovaldi. Right up to the trade deadline they also featured Bill McGee. McGee ran up a 17-1 record for the Rattlers. On July 28th, the Rattlers pulled off a huge deal sending McGee to the Quad Cities River Bandits along with 2 other players, getting a 29 year old Mickey Mantle in return. Homer Bailey replaced McGee in the Rattlers rotation.

McGee is now 20-2 on the season and his presence on the River Bandits has moved them into the 2nd wildcard slot.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:00 PM   #11
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
The first season has been a blast.

The Wisconsin Rattlers have led from day one, sometimes by as many as 15 games. They currently sit 9 1/2 games up on the Bowling Green Hot Rods. Wisconsin is loaded on the mound, featuring a 34 year old Randy Johnson, Rube Waddell, Johnny Cueto and Nathan Eovaldi. Right up to the trade deadline they also featured Bill McGee. McGee ran up a 17-1 record for the Rattlers. On July 28th, the Rattlers pulled off a huge deal sending McGee to the Quad Cities River Bandits along with 2 other players, getting a 29 year old Mickey Mantle in return. Homer Bailey replaced McGee in the Rattlers rotation.

McGee is now 20-2 on the season and his presence on the River Bandits has moved them into the 2nd wildcard slot.

That is the mother of all trades. I'm familiar with McGee as he's been tearing it up in my league as well. 44-32 with a 3.00 ERA through the first three seasons with a 131 ERA+, and 16.8 WAR. Mickey Mantle speaks for himself. This might be the greatest, most significant trade I've ever heard of, and speaks rather highly of the AI, as the Rattlers definitely traded from a position of strength to get one of the best players to ever lace 'em up. Not sure about the River Bandits because I don't know if their outfield was strong before this trade, but definitely a plus move for the Rattlers.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:16 PM   #12
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
That is the mother of all trades. I'm familiar with McGee as he's been tearing it up in my league as well. 44-32 with a 3.00 ERA through the first three seasons with a 131 ERA+, and 16.8 WAR. Mickey Mantle speaks for himself. This might be the greatest, most significant trade I've ever heard of, and speaks rather highly of the AI, as the Rattlers definitely traded from a position of strength to get one of the best players to ever lace 'em up. Not sure about the River Bandits because I don't know if their outfield was strong before this trade, but definitely a plus move for the Rattlers.
What might be really fun is if the two teams end up facing each other in the league championship series. The River Bandits have to get there first and at this time, it looks like they will be facing a tough Bowling Green team. Bowling Green has a 23 year old phenom named Albert Pujols anchoring their lineup.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:06 PM   #13
italyprof
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Don't know McGee. Gotta get me some.
Old 05-24-2018, 04:04 PM   #14
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by italyprof View Post
Don't know McGee. Gotta get me some.
Doesn't look all that menacing, but doesn't need to be with Nolan Ryan and Denny Driscoll (they both have been All-Stars in each of the first three seasons, while McGee has made the team twice) in front of him in the rotation. Here he be (Profile page and Pitching Stats page):
Attached Images
Image Image 

Last edited by actionjackson; 05-24-2018 at 04:06 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 04:05 PM   #15
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Apologies for taking up space in your thread David Watts. It just seemed like the best place to post the images because this is where the discussion happened. Carry on...
Old 05-24-2018, 04:12 PM   #16
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Apologies for taking up space in your thread David Watts. It just seemed like the best place to post the images because this is where the discussion happened. Carry on...
Man no apologies required. I'm so glad we have so many folks interested in random debut this year.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:58 PM   #17
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
I will start to panic if any of the teams in my league get below 25 players on their reserve roster. That will be a sure sign that I need a larger draft. I prefer reserve rosters to be at least 30 deep. I play with injuries set to normal and I despise seeing catchers play shortstop.
Understood, but I have 200+ players in the free agent pool. I don’t understand why teams are not filling there reserve rosters with players from the pool. I don’t want to increase the draft pool just to make a larger number of free agents.

Glad you are enjoying your new RDL. Hopefully the hook sinks deep and you have an exceptionally long league history.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:07 PM   #18
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Understood, but I have 200+ players in the free agent pool. I don’t understand why teams are not filling there reserve rosters with players from the pool. I don’t want to increase the draft pool just to make a larger number of free agents.

Glad you are enjoying your new RDL. Hopefully the hook sinks deep and you have an exceptionally long league history.
Could it be due to the league being a AAA league? Do minor leagues have a league reputation? If so, what is your AAA set at? Just trying to come up with a reason why you would have so many guys unemployed., How many players are your big league carrying on average?
Old 05-25-2018, 06:47 AM   #19
italyprof
All Star Reserve

Quote:

Why not just run an annual free agent draft, deciding how many rounds are appropriate for what you want in the league? doesn't answer the puzzle, but it does soak up those FAs.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:11 AM   #20
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Well it ended up being Quad Cities vs Bowling Green in the Wildcard round. Quad Cities would jump out to a 2 game lead, only to see Bowling Green win the next 3. Quad Cities would then find their groove again and take games 6 and 7 to earn their right to face the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers in the LCS. So we had the two teams that swung one of the biggest trades I've ever seen facing off for the title. Perfect right? Wrong. Quad Cities played like they were just happy to be there. The Wisconsin pitching staff was simply too strong and the Rattlers swept the River Bandits in 4 less than memorable games.. Bill McGee took the loss in the first game. Meanwhile, the Timber Rattlers success in the series was in no way due to the play of Mickey Mantle. The Mick had a dreadful series, hitting somewhere in the neighborhood of .077.