Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 19 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 03-30-2018, 12:06 PM   #1
Scoman
All Star Starter

Inaugural draft AI in Historic leagues

Just did a draft in 1901, inaugural draft AI was beyond bad,a lot of studs available in later rounds. Anybody looked at this at all?,this is with or without, use pre-defined Draft value for AI checked....
Scoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 02:55 PM   #2
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoman View Post
Just did a draft in 1901, inaugural draft AI was beyond bad,a lot of studs available in later rounds. Anybody looked at this at all?,this is with or without, use pre-defined Draft value for AI checked....
I usually leave the pre-defined draft value thing checked for ammy drafts, but unchecked for inaugural and expansion drafts. I do that because I don't want teams fooled into drafting a 38-year old 1st ballot HoFer who's really on his last legs, while leaving available a young buck from today's era undrafted because his draft value is nowhere near what it can be in the fullness of time. I do play random debuts though, so...there's that.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 08:18 PM   #3
Reed
All Star Starter

I usually play historical starting in 1901 and Honus Wagner, Nap Lajoie are picked in the top 2 or 3. I just started a new league today, 1901, real stats and the entire 1st round selected by the AI were pitchers. Wagner was selected in the 2nd round and Lajoie selected in the 5th round. This is why a couple years ago I started letting the AI do the inaugural draft for my team to prevent me from taking advantage.
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 08:30 PM   #4
Scoman
All Star Starter

It totally screw's up the integrity of the league in the humans favor... the fact that this is still happening in 19 is really inexcusable imo.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:15 PM   #5
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Is this with the latest patch? The patch notes say the inaugural draft AI was tweaked.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 04:52 AM   #6
Scoman
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
Is this with the latest patch? The patch notes say the inaugural draft AI was tweaked.
yes Orcin,this is with the latest patch....
Old 03-31-2018, 07:45 PM   #7
Scoman
All Star Starter

Last edited by Scoman; 03-31-2018 at 07:48 PM.
Old 03-31-2018, 09:23 PM   #8
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Looks like it still needs work then. I abandoned the inaugural draft long ago after becoming disgusted with teams drafting no infielders and 15 catchers.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:00 PM   #9
Radsmats
Minors (Double A)

Yeah I just ran a draft league (random starts) where 38 y.o. Randy Johnson went first overall and Mickey Mantle age 22? 23? was available for the 13th pick. I had it backed up so ran it again ... with the same results. Almost have to let the AI do all the picks so as to not get an overpowered team.
Radsmats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 07:38 AM   #10
warneke
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radsmats View Post
Yeah I just ran a draft league (random starts) where 38 y.o. Randy Johnson went first overall and Mickey Mantle age 22? 23? was available for the 13th pick. I had it backed up so ran it again ... with the same results. Almost have to let the AI do all the picks so as to not get an overpowered team.
Sometimes in an inaugural draft I'll pick for every team, at least the first 10 or 15 rounds....
warneke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 07:47 AM   #11
Zorro
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
yes Orcin,this is with the latest patch....
That is not good. I thought they fixed that. I always had to have the AI do the whole draft to make the league fair but like Orcin said they would sometimes do weird things like give me 9 cathers in the first 10 rounds. Lol......Z
Zorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 06:37 PM   #12
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This seems to be getting reported elsewhere. Maybe it's a bug that needs reporting. At the very least, the AI could use some tightening up for the Inaugural Draft.
Old 04-13-2018, 03:08 PM   #13
warneke
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radsmats View Post
If you are setting up a Random Debut league than it is much better to uncheck the box that says AI Drafts Players with Preset Value (or whatever it is called...) I think that box is meant for actual Historical Seasons, and it is not meant for Random Debut Initial Drafts. (I had similarly bad results in a Random Debut Inaugural Draft with the box checked; then I released all players and ran a new draft without the box checked and the results were MUCH better.
warneke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 03:12 PM   #14
Scoman
All Star Starter

It seems now the AI drafts better with, use pre-defined Draft value for AI un-checked, for inaugural drafts and the yearly drafts.

Last edited by Scoman; 04-13-2018 at 03:17 PM.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:23 PM   #15
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It seems now the AI drafts better with, use pre-defined Draft value for AI un-checked, for inaugural drafts and the yearly drafts.
Yep. I recommend checking that box for the amateur draft, but unchecking it for inaugural/expansion drafts. One of the problems that's cropped up this year is that position players have had their draft values set waaay lower than previous years, to the extent that a whole bunch of pitchers get taken before any position players. This can give the human an advantage in that you can hold off a bit on position players. Not cool, but that's where we're at. I don't know if this was a directive from the powers that be, or what happened, but something has definitely happened to the draft values for position players.
Old 04-13-2018, 06:23 PM   #16
Reed
All Star Starter

Well, with the build that came out this week, I built new 1901 league today with real stats, 1 yr recalc, Pre defined value OFF, and the inaugural draft looked very good. Wagner, Lajoie, Mathewson were the top 3 picks and the rest of the picks for the first couple years were reasonable. I simulated the season and left the Pre Defined value off for the amateur draft and that SEEMED VERY REASONABLE.

Yesterday, using 3 yr double weighted recalc, neutralized stats, PRE DEFINDED VALUED ON and that seems very off for the inaugural and amateur draft. Pitchers seemed to be very much favored.

Interesting discussion, wish Marcus would chime in since this is kind of critical for historical players.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:38 PM   #17
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed View Post
Well, with the build that came out this week, I built new 1901 league today with real stats, 1 yr recalc, Pre defined value OFF, and the inaugural draft looked very good. Wagner, Lajoie, Mathewson were the top 3 picks and the rest of the picks for the first couple years were reasonable. I simulated the season and left the Pre Defined value off for the amateur draft and that SEEMED VERY REASONABLE.

Yesterday, using 3 yr double weighted recalc, neutralized stats, PRE DEFINDED VALUED ON and that seems very off for the inaugural and amateur draft. Pitchers seemed to be very much favored.

Interesting discussion, wish Marcus would chime in since this is kind of critical for historical players.
I posted about the issue we discussed in the Historical Database Issues thread. The reason for it is that hitters have been severely downgraded in their pre-defined draft values since OOTP18, while pitchers have been moderately upgraded in their pre-defined draft values since OOTP18. It's a double whammy, and it's resulting in almost all pitchers being taken early in the draft, leaving very good position players available to the human GM later in the draft. I provided two examples on the position players side (Johnny Evers, and Joe Tinker), and two examples on the pitchers side (George Mullin and Addie Joss). It definitely needs addressing and I cannot for the life of me understand why the change was made. Maybe the powers that be can fill us mere mortals in on what went down.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:11 PM   #18
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

My 1901 amateur draft with pre-defined values off: Evers taken first, Joss second. Overall, the draft looked good. I will be leaving this off until we get some word.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:26 PM   #19
Reed
All Star Starter

Agreed that leaving it off looks a lot better than having it on.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:46 PM   #20
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Off just for the inaugural draft or also for the yearly rookie draft?
JaBurns is offline   Reply With Quote