Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 04-21-2014, 10:50 PM   #41
tejdog1
All Star Starter

If there's an impossible guy sliding down the draft board (think Trout to 24, Porcello to 29 a few years ago, etc...) and the AI is passing, as would happen IRL, I'm likely going to snap that guy up in the 3rd/4th round and give it a shot.

What I dislike about that is the one shot and done aspect. I doubt that's how it's done IRL. Or if it is, it's a "We won't take a penny under $3million" "OK, I offer $3m, we want you in our system." "Done."

Not "We won't take a penny under $3million" "OK, I offer $3m, we want you in our system." "Nope, still not enough, we lied, Too bad for you." *off to college*
How I turn my head and lose it all

And it's unnerving
How just one move puts me by myself
There you go just trusting someone else
Now I know I put us both through hell

~Matchbox 20, "Leave"

Everyone knows it's spelled "TRAID", not trade
tejdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:36 AM   #42
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejdog1 View Post
If there's an impossible guy sliding down the draft board (think Trout to 24, Porcello to 29 a few years ago, etc...) and the AI is passing, as would happen IRL, I'm likely going to snap that guy up in the 3rd/4th round and give it a shot.

What I dislike about that is the one shot and done aspect. I doubt that's how it's done IRL. Or if it is, it's a "We won't take a penny under $3million" "OK, I offer $3m, we want you in our system." "Done."

Not "We won't take a penny under $3million" "OK, I offer $3m, we want you in our system." "Nope, still not enough, we lied, Too bad for you." *off to college*
I think you're equating impossible with "really good but crazy expensive". In the real draft it's not that simple. It's usually, 'could be really good in a couple years or could not be but wants more than he's worth to us.' Teams just aren't going to pay way more than a guy's worth, even if they think he's a strong talent.

There are a lot of these guys each draft, hundreds in fact. Teams take chances on the best of them later in the draft, but only a small amount actually sign and typically do so for a good amount of money. That's how OOTP has it setup now. As I've said, I think this is working absolutely perfectly in game now.
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:38 AM   #43
le receveur
All Star Starter

Quote:

sounds a bit like Tyler Beede from some of the echo we heard at time
le receveur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:43 AM   #44
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by le receveur View Post
sounds a bit like Tyler Beede from some of the echo we heard at time
Yeah. Or Monda and Wetzler with the Phillies last year which lead to the whole idiotic Phillies reporting them for using agents to the NCAA thing.
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:48 AM   #45
pjh5165
Major Leagues

I love the new draftee negotiation system, very realistic in my opinion.

Someone above mentioned that draftees may be all-star football or basketball players, and I would like to add an example to that. Michael Vick was taken in the NFL draft once, despite not even playing high school baseball. He probably had decent potential just because he was such a great athlete, but signing him was in no way realistic unless a team was going to guarantee the $20M or so that he was going to have guaranteed on an NFL contract, and probably not even then.

That is an extreme example, obviously, but it makes it easy to come up with some more reasons why guys would demand big money or turn down big offers.
pjh5165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:30 AM   #46
injury log
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If there's an impossible guy sliding down the draft board (think Trout to 24, Porcello to 29 a few years ago, etc...)
Trout signed for slot in real life.
injury log is offline   Reply With Quote