Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 04-21-2014, 05:22 AM   #21
Avindian
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejdog1 View Post
Draft and follow was abolished in... 2007, right? IRL?

What I'd like to see is actual meaningful players dropping into the 7th/8th rounds, like... 65+ potentials, like happens IRL now, who are extremely hard to sign, but it is possible, if you pay up.
Oh wow, really? I guess I haven't been following the Majors as closely as I thought. By a strange coincidence, I met my wife in 2007. Hmm...

Agreed on the idea of letting excellent players pop up in the later rounds, although in my latest draft I saw a couple of 60s left in the 6th round, so we might not be too far off.
Avindian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:46 AM   #22
tejdog1
All Star Starter

It was the CBA prior to the 2012 one.
How I turn my head and lose it all

And it's unnerving
How just one move puts me by myself
There you go just trusting someone else
Now I know I put us both through hell

~Matchbox 20, "Leave"

Everyone knows it's spelled "TRAID", not trade
tejdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:05 PM   #23
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

Draftee Negotiations are finally realistic!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejdog1 View Post
Draft and follow was abolished in... 2007, right? IRL?

What I'd like to see is actual meaningful players dropping into the 7th/8th rounds, like... 65+ potentials, like happens IRL now, who are extremely hard to sign, but it is possible, if you pay up.

Since "potential" is subjective and not really apart of the human DNA (lol) i wouldn't say guys with 65 potential dropped to the later rounds in real life.

I never been a fan of static potential ratings in games and that is a reason I use 200 TCR and surprising that setting replicate what we see in real life with scouts "missing on players"

After all, no one can predict the future.

But I do agree that players should drop farther down (AI skipping them) due to their impossible signing tag. (Not sure if they already do or not)

Last edited by SirMichaelJordan; 04-21-2014 at 02:09 PM.
SirMichaelJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:23 PM   #24
majesty95
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMichaelJordan View Post
Since "potential" is subjective and not really apart of the human DNA (lol) i wouldn't say guys with 65 potential dropped to the later rounds in real life.

I never been a fan of static potential ratings in games and that is a reason I use 200 TCR and surprising that setting replicate what we see in real life with scouts "missing on players"

After all, no one can predict the future.

But I do agree that players should drop farther down (AI skipping them) due to their impossible signing tag. (Not sure if they already do or not)
What is 200 TCR?
majesty95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:24 PM   #25
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by majesty95 View Post
What is 200 TCR?

Talent Change Randomness. I have mine set at 200. The default is 100.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:40 PM   #26
stevens84
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Talent Change Randomness. I have mine set at 200. The default is 100.
How exactly does this work? And how often does it "Change" a players talent?
stevens84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:49 PM   #27
majesty95
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevens84 View Post
How exactly does this work? And how often does it "Change" a players talent?
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...s-ratings.html
majesty95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 03:09 PM   #28
Walsh06
All Star Reserve

Well Im not sure if the update fixed the draft issue but all my players now appeared in the negotiation screen. Could have just been luck too, Im not sure.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:17 PM   #29
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

I liked how they did it in OOTP14 with the negotiation of drafted players however all they had to do was invert the listing for the first rounders who ask for the most to generally get the most. In OOTP14 it was always the first round would ask for 250K while my 9th rounder asked for 2.5 million. happens every season. Figured if it got inverted problem solved. However it seems for this current version they got more creative with handling of this which appears to be good as well... some players do like to stay out of draft and be FAs or wait till following season much like NFL where as a player get drafted by a team and the player has no desire to play for that franchise
r0nster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:48 PM   #30
BPS
All Star Reserve

Two things that might be improved about drafting. First, while current high schoolers might be inclined to go to college, this was not always the case back a couple of decades.

(Question: does the probability that a high schooler goes to college increase with the ratio of colleges to high schools? Or, if you have a 50 high schools and one college I guess all high schoolers can't to go college. Any one know this? Does the game auto adjust inclination to go to college based on the ratio of colleges to high schools?)

Second, later round draft choices are demanding far too much money. I have last round draft choices (who are last round quality players) demanding more than the #1 draft choice in the league demands (and accepts).
BPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:35 PM   #31
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPS View Post
Two things that might be improved about drafting. First, while current high schoolers might be inclined to go to college, this was not always the case back a couple of decades.

(Question: does the probability that a high schooler goes to college increase with the ratio of colleges to high schools? Or, if you have a 50 high schools and one college I guess all high schoolers can't to go college. Any one know this? Does the game auto adjust inclination to go to college based on the ratio of colleges to high schools?)

Second, later round draft choices are demanding far too much money. I have last round draft choices (who are last round quality players) demanding more than the #1 draft choice in the league demands (and accepts).

Thing is that last round pick could be a dual sport player who was a decent all state baseball player that probably don't have a future in the Majors but was an HS All American or a top 100 recruit in the US in basketball//or football.

I don't think asking for a couple mil to play for pennies in the minors is too much if the guy could have a future in the NFL or NBA.

Lol its up to the person on the other end to be smart enough to not give him that bonus.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:53 PM   #32
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Thing is that last round pick could be a dual sport player who was a decent all state baseball player that probably don't have a future in the Majors but was an HS All American or a top 100 recruit in the US in basketball//or football.

I don't think asking for a couple mil to play for pennies in the minors is too much if the guy could have a future in the NFL or NBA.

Lol its up to the person on the other end to be smart enough to not give him that bonus.
Correct. This was changed because it's very realistic for guys who are drafted low or go drafted to ask for way too much money. Last year Kyle Serrano and Connor Jones were considered second to third round picks. Both priced themselves out of the high rounds and out of signing at all by demanding $4-5 mil which is pretty much 2nd overall pick type money. There are usually anywhere from 50-100 guys per draft like this, though usually a bit less extreme than those guys.
Lukas Berger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:06 PM   #33
mgom27
Hall Of Famer

Sign all Draft Picks to a contract same with when doing Free-Agent Draft?
Old 04-21-2014, 08:33 PM   #34
BPS
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasberger View Post
Correct. This was changed because it's very realistic for guys who are drafted low or go drafted to ask for way too much money. Last year Kyle Serrano and Connor Jones were considered second to third round picks. Both priced themselves out of the high rounds and out of signing at all by demanding $4-5 mil which is pretty much 2nd overall pick type money. There are usually anywhere from 50-100 guys per draft like this, though usually a bit less extreme than those guys.
In the draft I'm talking about, I signed my top (actually the AI's as this is a test league) pick for about a $40k bonus I think. This is 1970 when $40k could buy you something! That was about the slot value.

But almost all the picks above #5 demanded over $80k (twice or more of the #1 slot value) ..and were also "impossibles"...along with having almost zero potential. So I made bonus offers to a couple of players and the rest were sent their way without a single conversation. I guess I'll just hire a bunch of free agents to fill my lower minors.

So, yes, some draftees would demand lots of money beyond what anyone would pay. But MOST doing this? And the demand they make exceeds that made by #1 picks by multiples although they had no potential?

I guess one can tell some story (the draft was filled with Bo Jacksons and Einsteins and Bill Gateses who had options outside baseball) to explain this but that seems a bit implausible.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:44 PM   #35
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
In the draft I'm talking about, I signed my top (actually the AI's as this is a test league) pick for about a $40k bonus I think. This is 1970 when $40k could buy you something! That was about the slot value.

But almost all the picks above #5 demanded over $80k (twice or more of the #1 slot value) ..and were also "impossibles"...along with having almost zero potential. So I made bonus offers to a couple of players and the rest were sent their way without a single conversation. I guess I'll just hire a bunch of free agents to fill my lower minors.

So, yes, some draftees would demand lots of money beyond what anyone would pay. But MOST doing this? And the demand they make exceeds that made by #1 picks by multiples although they had no potential?

I guess one can tell some story (the draft was filled with Bo Jacksons and Einsteins and Bill Gateses who had options outside baseball) to explain this but that seems a bit implausible.
Well most guys shouldn't be doing it, you're right on that. I haven't seen that happen. It should only be the impossible guys that do this and there shouldn't be a ton of them each draft.

Did you just take the most talented guys without checking their signability,?

Is this something other folks are seeing as well?

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 04-21-2014 at 08:49 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:58 PM   #36
BPS
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Well most guys shouldn't be doing it, you're right on that. I haven't seen that happen. It should only be the impossible guys that do this and there shouldn't be a ton of them each draft.

Did you just take the most talented guys without checking their signability,?

Is this something other folks are seeing as well?
I had AI draft as it's a test league where I'm trying to learn about the financials.

I loaded up the game for the first time with the new patch, and my list of draftees asking for money has expanded and/or some are asking for less now. Those college guys didn't appear before as asking for money.

But look at those unsigned people at the bottom. My first round choice got, I see now, about $60K (it being 1970 or so). But guys who are characterized as having the potential of being "minor league filler" are asking for far more than that.
Attached Images
Old 04-21-2014, 10:27 PM   #37
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
I had AI draft as it's a test league where I'm trying to learn about the financials.

I loaded up the game for the first time with the new patch, and my list of draftees asking for money has expanded and/or some are asking for less now. Those college guys didn't appear before as asking for money.

But look at those unsigned people at the bottom. My first round choice got, I see now, about $60K (it being 1970 or so). But guys who are characterized as having the potential of being "minor league filler" are asking for far more than that.
I can't say I see an issue there. That's actually really realistic and pretty much what we were shooting for with the impossible signs.

Irl most teams spend the majority of their picks from 25-40 on hs guys they know are demanding too much to be signable at that point. Most teams only sign anywhere from 25-35 of their 40 picks. So that's quite accurate.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:33 PM   #38
mgom27
Hall Of Famer

Some Draft Picks go right to Minors and no chance to sign them.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:20 PM   #39
BPS
All Star Reserve

Quote:
I can't say I see an issue there. That's actually really realistic and pretty much what we were shooting for with the impossible signs.

Irl most teams spend the majority of their picks from 25-40 on hs guys they know are demanding too much to be signable at that point. Most teams only sign anywhere from 25-35 of their 40 picks. So that's quite accurate.
Well if it's working as designed, so it goes!

But my concern is that when IRL draft picks are not signed it is because they are asking for more than they are worth. It isn't typically because they all are asking for even more than first round draft choices get. The game seems to get to the result some people might want (many unsigned players) but it get to it in an unrealistic way.

But more to the point: this failure to sign because players make completely unrealistic demands is more a modern phenomena. In the, say, 1970s it was much less common. Ideally, the game player should have some control over the likelihood players don't sign because they want to go to college. Perhaps this can be controlled by reducing the number of colleges?
Old 04-21-2014, 11:29 PM   #40
le receveur
All Star Starter

Quote:

the one problem I see here is AI drafting these guys, if the goal was to have easy signees. HSchoolers with Impossible should probably not be drafted at this point If anything seeing this shows a place where I have the advantage over AI
le receveur is offline   Reply With Quote