Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 01-25-2014, 10:40 AM   #1
STL

Catcher Ratings

Any chance we can get some 'coaching' stats for catches?

Such as...
Call Game Rating
Handling Veterans
Handling Rookies

There have been a lot of catchers in baseball history that have had long careers but have been horrendous hitters. Yet when I play my retro leagues they are washed out and never even reach the majors because the game only cares about offense. I'd like to see the Charlie O'Brien's and Mike Matheny's of the world (to name one of many) be more valuable in OOTP. As it stands, guys like them are never even make the majors for me. There are things more important for catchers than just offense. I'd like to see OOTP take that into account.

That is the one feature on my bucket list for OOTP.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:08 AM   #2
Scott Vibert
Hall Of Famer

I think these are all abstracted into the catching ability rating, currently.
Scott Vibert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:13 AM   #3
STL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Vibert View Post
Can we get confirmation of this?

And if so, why does the game AI not care more about this rating? Playing historical leagues is maddening because catchers that had 15-20 year careers can't even get out of Double-A in my leagues because they can't hit worth a crap but have sterling defensive ratings.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:15 PM   #4
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL View Post

And if so, why does the game AI not care more about this rating? Playing historical leagues is maddening because catchers that had 15-20 year careers can't even get out of Double-A in my leagues because they can't hit worth a crap but have sterling defensive ratings.
A lot of us have been complaining about how the game handles batters who play skill positions. Right now the game looks for offense at C, SS, 2B, and CF over everything else to the point of irrationality, especially on depth charts.

Hopefully this will be modified for realism.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 03:17 PM   #5
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

"Catcher Ability

Catcher Ability is a measure of a catcher's overall catching skill. Catcher Ability isn't truly a distinct rating. It is more of a composite number based on a combination of the player's defensive skills (arm, error, range) and his experience at the position.

Catcher Arm

Catcher Arm is a measure of a catcher's arm. Catchers with higher Catcher Arm are more likely to throw out runners stealing a base. Catchers with high Catcher Arm ratings could also cause opposing managers to think twice before attempting a steal."
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:38 PM   #6
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
A lot of us have been complaining about how the game handles batters who play skill positions. Right now the game looks for offense at C, SS, 2B, and CF over everything else to the point of irrationality, especially on depth charts.

Hopefully this will be modified for realism.
Will you people please thank The Wolf for this one so that its importance is immediately recognizable?

All PBA games broadcast live on Steam.
Honorable_Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:03 AM   #7
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Thanks, I think.

Old 01-26-2014, 12:21 AM   #8
Max Boyer
Minors (Double A)

I think something that would do the job, just give them an actual "rating" for "Catcher Value" accross the league, not based on offense, but with stats that really make a catcher.

How about the Sabermetric Fielding OR Advanced Fielding (Catcher) stats to "sort them out"?

Last edited by Max Boyer; 01-26-2014 at 12:22 AM.
Max Boyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:42 AM   #9
STL

Would it be possible to get the option to customize the AI focus at each positon? I mean, we can make them favor youth, neutral or vets. We can also weight the "star" ratings how we wish. Would it be impossible in the league settings to be able to customize the lineup/team AI by position?

For instance:
Catcher: 40 offense/60 defense
First Base: 80 offense/20 defense
Second Base: 45 offense/55 defense
Shortstop: 40 offense/60 defense

And so forth. That way the AI GM's and managers will weigh defense considerably more at some positions than others. It will also be completely customizable so that everyone is happy. Don't like the default? Change it.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:31 PM   #10
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Would it be possible to get the option to customize the AI focus at each positon? I mean, we can make them favor youth, neutral or vets. We can also weight the "star" ratings how we wish. Would it be impossible in the league settings to be able to customize the lineup/team AI by position?

For instance:

And so forth. That way the AI GM's and managers will weigh defense considerably more at some positions than others. It will also be completely customizable so that everyone is happy. Don't like the default? Change it.
That's a really good idea.

Old 01-26-2014, 01:20 PM   #11
bailey
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

For instance:

It's a good idea, but I wouldn't want every AI GM following the same script. Maybe some AI GMs would value as above while others used a different (even irrational) weighting. Is the AI GM currently the same for all teams or is there some variation programmed into it?

bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:57 AM   #12
OBSL Commish
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post
It's a good idea, but I wouldn't want every AI GM following the same script. Maybe some AI GMs would value as above while others used a different (even irrational) weighting. Is the AI GM currently the same for all teams or is there some variation programmed into it?
Those differences could be incorporated into GM profiles when new GMs are hired by the AI teams.
OBSL Commish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:14 AM   #13
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Vibert View Post
Yes, it is. And it is facored into the AI evaluation of a catcher... I have incorporated latest reasearch (look for articles regarding framing, for example on baseballprospectus.com) into the game engine (since OOTP 12, and fine-tuned in OOTP 14), so catchers with a great catching ability rating will save you plenty of runs during the season.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:34 AM   #14
Carlton
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

This is more about Manager tendencies not working correctly

If you have a manager who is all the way left for BA>OBP, Defense>offense, Veterans>rookies

Then old .230 BA .300 OBP defensive catchers should be getting the nod and when they do, not have their backup start every 2 games

It also does not work for platooning as I have Stengel high for PR,PH for position player and high for favor L/R matchups (it's in the pitching field but should apply to hitters as well) and I rarely see his team with two different lineups vs RH and vs LH

By the way the GM tendencies are what he will look for in FA and who to callup, but the MGR is the one who plays, or at least it should be

"I am at that stage of my life where I keep myself out of arguments. I am 100% self sufficient spiritually, emotionally & financially. Even if you say 1+1=5, you are ABSOLUTELY CORRECT. Enjoy!"

Last edited by Carlton; 01-27-2014 at 10:37 AM.
Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote