Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game? A place for all new Out of the Park Baseball fans to ask questions about the game.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:11 AM   #1
dawg_gone
Minors (Double A)

Curious about Overall Roster Strategy

I'm curious to know what other folks use in the "Overall Roster Strategy" on the Team Strategy page. Every time I make a slider change, I hesitate, and return it to default because I'm not exactly sure what I may be about to inflict upon my beleaguered team. I've studied the manual page but would like to hear from some veterans if anyone cares to share.

Anybody care to pipe in about settings and reasons?
dawg_gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:50 AM   #2
jb28
Minors (Rookie Ball)

These settings affect the roster management of the AI. If you're handling all roster moves yourself then it doesn't matter how they're set.
jb28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:30 PM   #3
RchW
Hall Of Famer

This^^

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:59 PM   #4
dawg_gone
Minors (Double A)

You guys all control rosters? I've been GM'ing and letting my managers do the roster moves.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:40 PM   #5
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

I do it all! Bwah-ha-ha-ha!
rpriske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:33 PM   #6
Piccamo
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawg_gone View Post
You guys all control rosters? I've been GM'ing and letting my managers do the roster moves.
I control roster moves, handle trades, personnel, and extensions. I don't bother setting lineups or the pitching staff. The overall strategy is great for this as I can tell the staff what I care about more. If there's a player who I think the AI should be playing, but they aren't, I will set strategy manually. I just wish there were more options for Set Strategy.
Piccamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:13 PM   #7
Izz
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piccamo View Post
I just wish there were more options for Set Strategy.
+1.

I'd quite like an option to force start a player at a certain position in the lineup.

Also, if i force start a positional player, i'd really like for the AI manager to not have a backup playing every other day and another every 5 days. That pretty much defeats what i'm trying to do.

Though, sometimes i do want to force start two players in 1 position, game on, game off.

A way to partially set up lineups would be good. As in, i can just focus on particular guys and the AI can fill the lineup around them.

Right now, it's almost easier to manually do everything. Do we have a thread in the v14 suggestions room for stuff like this yet?

A brief history of the Australia-New Zealand Baseball League (AUNZBL 2019-2119)--A Dynasty Report
The National Penterham Four-Bases Association--A Dynasty Report

Last edited by Izz; 12-05-2012 at 05:15 PM.
Izz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:28 PM   #8
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izz View Post
+1.

I'd quite like an option to force start a player at a certain position in the lineup.

Also, if i force start a positional player, i'd really like for the AI manager to not have a backup playing every other day and another every 5 days. That pretty much defeats what i'm trying to do.

Though, sometimes i do want to force start two players in 1 position, game on, game off.

A way to partially set up lineups would be good. As in, i can just focus on particular guys and the AI can fill the lineup around them.

Right now, it's almost easier to manually do everything. Do we have a thread in the v14 suggestions room for stuff like this yet?
Force start is in the game, go to team strategy, then player strategy. Along the bottom there is an option to force start. Make sure you check override team strategy settings if you don't want the AI changing it during games.

Edit - my bad, reread your post and see you're talking about where they hit in line-up.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:39 PM   #9
Izz
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
Edit - my bad, reread your post and see you're talking about where they hit in line-up.
Yep, that's what i mean. Poorly worded on my part Like if i want someone to audition as cleanup hitter for a couple weeks.

A brief history of the Australia-New Zealand Baseball League (AUNZBL 2019-2119)--A Dynasty Report
The National Penterham Four-Bases Association--A Dynasty Report
Izz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:04 PM   #10
buffalo_pete
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawg_gone View Post
I just finished my first full season. For the first year, I let the AI handle all the minor league rosters and only manually handled the big club. It must have worked out well for me, seeing as I took the 2012 Twins to the world championship Now that I've got the hang of the game a bit more, I'm going to take over the minor league roster moves too - I didn't like it very much when I'd trade for a minor leaguer only to find out some time later that the AI released him. Maybe once I'm into year three I'll be ready to handle the minor league lineups and pitching too.
buffalo_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:04 AM   #11
dawg_gone
Minors (Double A)

I can't imagine the time it must take to control minor league bumping and lineups. Someday, maybe. Maybe over the holidays...