Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Online Leagues > Earlier versions of OOTP: Commissioner's Corner

Earlier versions of OOTP: Commissioner's Corner Want to run an online league? Want to learn about the 'ins' and 'outs' of being a commish? This is the place!

Old 03-18-2009, 03:15 PM   #1
molarmite
Hall Of Famer

Too much trading?

I realize the point of an online league is to control the team how you see fit which includes trades, but is there such thing as trading too much?

I'm looking at one of my owners and the first thing he said when he came in was that he loves to trade and he wasn't kidding. He has done 8 trades including the last 6 out of the last 7 trades done including several blockbusters. His cash is now down to 30 million in debt, is there something I should tell him or should I let all this trading continue?

"Now all you need is a signature. A quote or initial, perhaps."

[
molarmite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:55 PM   #2
fhomess
Hall Of Famer

I hate the idea that you can have someone trade too much. At a general level, I think more trading is always better than less trading. The primary reason for this is that a trade involves more than one GM, and active GMing is contagious. The more active a few GM's are, the more interesting the league will be to the rest of the GM's. They'll start getting roped in, too, and the league will benefit as a whole. GM's who do a lot of trading also end up spending a lot of time learning about players around the league, so if you can channel some of that energy into forum posts about players on other teams, it'll make the league more interesting, too.

On the other hand, there are some cases where I think too much trading can be a negative:
1. Making a number of trades in a single sim, especially where players are going between multiple teams can be really difficult for a commish to process. Generally, this isn't too much of a problem. If it is, I think it's fair for the commish to suggest some ground rules for trading the same player again too quickly.
2. Depending on how "realistic" you want your league to be, you may have to institute some restrictions. In historical leagues, I think it makes some sense to consider limiting trading if the league feels that it's getting to the point of being unrealistic. I absolutely think you have to run this by the league first and make a point of saying that you don't intend to single out the GM that's causing you to feel this way. You don't want to lose a guy who's getting people more invested in their teams.
3. You are worried that the GM is going to run the team into the ground and then quit. I think this is a legitimate concern with some, and you kind of have to evaluate it in the context of what you know about their past online league experiences and from people who've interacted with him. Unless you have legitimate reason to think they're going to do this, I don't think you should do anything about it. Suggesting to someone that they're going to run the team into the ground and then quit is a pretty good way to convince them to do just that even if they weren't planning to.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:04 PM   #3
Corsairs
Hall Of Famer

I'm with fhomess. Whatever I can do to encourage trading, I'll do it. Show me a league with an active trade market and I'll show you a league with involved owners, and that's of course what we all want.

We recently brought on a new owner who was playing in another online league. While he's still with that league, he expressed feeling alienated when the commissioner of that league placed restrictions on trading. For him, trading is a big part of the fun. I don't want to rob him (or any of my owners) of the opportunity to have fun.

My only concern regarding trading is blatantly lopsided trades, and we've almost never encountered that problem. When I see a trade that sets my alarm bells off, I'll talk it over with my League Presidents. Almost every single time they'll end up convincing me that the trade is reasonable (and again, it happens so rarely that it's pretty much a non-issue).
Corsairs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 06:48 PM   #4
molarmite
Hall Of Famer

Alright those posts really helped. I'm not so much concerned with him running his team into the ground on purpose, I just think he might be doing it without knowing by taking on all the contracts he is taking on. Also he likes to trade people that he JUST got in another trade. He's also done 3 trades in one sim before which I thought was a little outrageous but all of his trades have been fair so I'm not complaining there.

[
Old 03-18-2009, 11:06 PM   #5
molarmite
Hall Of Famer

He's up to 5 trades this sim before the deadline and while I don't see a problem with trading to benefit your team, sometimes I think he's trading just to trade.

[
Old 03-19-2009, 03:55 PM   #6
satchel
Hall Of Famer

If you're right at the deadline, maybe that's motivating him, too. Instead of being able to take his time, he's trying to get everything done all at once.
FL New Orleans Black Sox ’56 ’57 ’58 ’59
satchel is offline   Reply With Quote