Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 01-01-2019, 08:43 PM   #1
brahammydude
Bat Boy

Question Help with my fictional league

So I am starting a fictional league for OOTP Baseball 2019. The problem is, I don't have any ideas. That's where I'm calling you guys. I am creating a 32 team league. Here is the criteria:
32 teams
2 Conferences (East/West, North/South, or NL/AL style) (16 teams each)
8 Divisions (4 per conference, 4 teams each)
If you have any ideas feel free to share them like this:

City Mascot, Conference Division

I can sort them out from that point on.

Thank you!
brahammydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 09:01 PM   #2
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Just my opinion… I have found that I enjoyed smaller leagues over large leagues.

I would go with just two 8-team divisions... 16 teams in all.

You get to know the players better in a small league.

I also prefer 8-team divisions over 4-team divisions... IMO it give you better pennant races.

I have a 64-team Dynasty league with 8 teams in each division... it is really hard to know all of the teams well.

I also have had a 16-team Dynasty... and an 8-team Dynasty league... enjoyed them both much more than the 64-team league... I could really get immersed in the league details with the smaller leagues.

Just my two cents.

Last edited by Eugene Church; 01-01-2019 at 09:03 PM.
Eugene Church is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 10:38 PM   #3
Rosco Peabody
All Star Starter

I think that depends on how involved you get with the other teams as well and if you play out each game. I have 32 teams in mine (8 four team divisions with 16 teams making the playoffs) and I feel like I have a pretty good handle on the players for the most part.

Been playing since OOTP '08

Avatar is a picture of me drawn by one of my students a few years ago

(My real name is not Rosco, nor do I live anywhere near Peabody)
Rosco Peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 12:40 AM   #4
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

I sort of favor a split the difference perspective here.
I would start with a somewhat smaller league (in my case I settled on something mirroring MLB the year I was born- 1965- so two leagues of 10 teams each, no divisions) in order to aid in immersion early on but with league evolution allowing for expansion in the future.
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 11:13 PM   #5
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco Peabody View Post
I think that depends on how involved you get with the other teams as well and if you play out each game. I have 32 teams in mine (8 four team divisions with 16 teams making the playoffs) and I feel like I have a pretty good handle on the players for the most part.
Good point... in my 64-team league (8 divisions with 8 teams each) I sim all regular season games... in the playoffs I sim the first six innings (the AI doesn't make a lot of changes in the first 6 innings)... then I play out the rest of the game... this works well and lets me control the substitutions most of the time.

Playing out all the games with 32 teams is really something... it would really take some time... absolutely, if one did that they would be quite familiar with all the players and teams.

I just have never had the time to do that... the best I have ever done is sim the first 6 innings and then play out the remainder of the game... but that was for a 16-team league with two 8-team divisions... and one 8-team league with just one division.

Those two ways to play really kept me immersed in the league and gave me great knowledge of all players and teams.

My 64-team Islandian Pro Alliance really is hard work and time-consuming to administer... I have been doing it for over 10 years... it's a lot of work, but I dearly love the league and still continue in spite of the huge time demands... I can't stop doing the IPA.

Really wish I had kept it to 12 teams the way I started it... but it's too late now.

Last edited by Eugene Church; 01-02-2019 at 11:23 PM.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:26 PM   #6
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brahammydude View Post
So I am starting a fictional league for OOTP Baseball 2019. The problem is, I don't have any ideas. That's where I'm calling you guys. I am creating a 32 team league. Here is the criteria:
32 teams
2 Conferences (East/West, North/South, or NL/AL style) (16 teams each)
8 Divisions (4 per conference, 4 teams each)
If you have any ideas feel free to share them like this:

City Mascot, Conference Division

I can sort them out from that point on.

Thank you!
Do you want city names with nicknames?

Do you want the league to be in the United States... or a fictional world?

I will make suggestions to help you out.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:37 PM   #7
Dark Horse
Hall Of Famer

Here a few suggestions.
1. Do a search for old baseball teams and nicknames. You can have teams like the Cleveland Spiders, Brooklyn Superbas and Chicago Whales.

2. i used to use city nicknames; Gotham, Alamo City, Steeltown, Motor City, etc... If you like i can dig up my old list. But i don't think it was 32 teams.

3. Unless you really want to do your own logos and unis (or if you don't care about them) i would really suggest you check out the mod forum. Pick out the uniforms/logos you like and put them into your league.

A Justafan Fan

LBA Geo Bahn Rock Hounds

fan of the ISLANDIAN PRO ALLIANCE
Dark Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 04:05 PM   #8
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Horse View Post
Here a few suggestions.
1. Do a search for old baseball teams and nicknames. You can have teams like the Cleveland Spiders, Brooklyn Superbas and Chicago Whales.

2. i used to use city nicknames; Gotham, Alamo City, Steeltown, Motor City, etc... If you like i can dig up my old list. But i don't think it was 32 teams.

3. Unless you really want to do your own logos and unis (or if you don't care about them) i would really suggest you check out the mod forum. Pick out the uniforms/logos you like and put them into your league.
Excellent suggestion... use teams and nicknames that have already home and away uniforms... hopefully logos, too.

Good logos, jerseys and caps really add to the league enjoyment.