Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 11-13-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

On thing I can't believe OOTP still does not have

The simply ability to save multiple lineups/depth charts/lineups.

This is just something I thought would have been implemented long ago.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:58 PM   #2
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
It was suggested back in the 6.5 days. Markus did not like the idea.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:55 PM   #3
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
Markus didnt like it only because it is a dumb idea......

The whole point of the lineup screens is to set your team up for simiming games. There is only one way to do that.

If you are playing games out, there is no need for the lineup screens at all.....
Questdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:24 PM   #4
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

If not this, then what about locks for every slot....ie...depth, lineup. starting frequency, etc...this way you can ask you manager for his opinion without having to go back and redo everything you like...but he may not.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:50 PM   #5
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
If not this, then what about locks for every slot....ie...depth, lineup. starting frequency, etc...this way you can ask you manager for his opinion without having to go back and redo everything you like...but he may not.
You can force a manager to put someone in the lineup and still have him set the rest of it up......

You can also tell him to use a particular pitcher in the bullpen or rotation....

You cannot currently force him to use a batter in a particular lineup spot and that would be a useful thing.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:28 AM   #6
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questdog View Post
You cannot currently force him to use a batter in a particular lineup spot and that would be a useful thing.
It is something I would like to eventually see. Although on 14 I see less C's hitting lead who bat 6th when the lead is resting, it does still happen. Would be nice to lock in players in the order.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:35 AM   #7
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Markus didnt like it only because it is a dumb idea......

The whole point of the lineup screens is to set your team up for simiming games. There is only one way to do that.

If you are playing games out, there is no need for the lineup screens at all.....
You are totally wrong and clearly have never played Diamond Mind, which has this incredibly useful feature. If you played games out and knew what you were talking about, you'd want it too. You save different lineups vs different types of teams, vs different types of pitchers (FB, GB, etc.), for resting your regulars, etc. Then you just select the one you need. It makes playing out your games easier and more fun.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.

Last edited by The Wolf; 11-14-2013 at 11:58 AM.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:36 AM   #8
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
It is something I would like to eventually see. Although on 14 I see less C's hitting lead who bat 6th when the lead is resting, it does still happen. Would be nice to lock in players in the order.
Don't listen to mister negative. It's a great feature to have.

You don't need locks if you can just call the lineup you want up with one click.

Last edited by The Wolf; 11-14-2013 at 10:37 AM.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:02 PM   #9
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Typically, whoever bats 7th takes over the leadoff role when the leadoff man is rested.....

That is in a non-DH league.....I have never played a DH-League, so I have no idea what happens in that.

In a non-DH league, the 7 hole is traditionally a spot where you want speed. If he gets on base with 2 outs, he can try to steal. If he is caught, then you have the 8th hitter leading off the next inning, instead of the pitcher, so it is thought of as a free from cost steal attempt.

In OOTP, you should put a fella in the 7-hole who will be your backup leadoff man. If you put a catcher there, he will lead off sometimes.....
Old 11-14-2013, 01:16 PM   #10
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
You are totally wrong and clearly have never played Diamond Mind, which has this incredibly useful feature. If you played games out and knew what you were talking about, you'd want it too. You save different lineups vs different types of teams, vs different types of pitchers (FB, GB, etc.), for resting your regulars, etc. Then you just select the one you need. It makes playing out your games easier and more fun.
If I have 8 or 12 or more lineups saved for the purposes you mentioned, it will probably take me close to as many clicks to load the lineups as it would to just put the players in before a game.

And any clicks I DO save, will probably be more than lost, whenever injuries force me to reset 8 or 12 or more different lineups.

And any manager who makes his lineups out weeks in advance, is not much of a manager, if you ask me.......
Old 11-14-2013, 01:40 PM   #11
Rum&Coke
Minors (Rookie Ball)

If I want a managers opinion without erasing my lineups I'll run that option on the DH lineup (or if I'm using DH, the non DH lineup) and just remove / add a DH from there. I never play a mixed DH/Non DH league like the current MLB setup so I never use half the lineups but even if you do you could easily copy and paste one to the other. In theory they don't change too much.

A bit of a clunky workaround, I admit, but it works.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:02 PM   #12
endgame
Hall Of Famer

I still advocate a variant of the lineup selection process geared more toward intent than individual nuances:

Quote:
Originally Posted by endgame View Post
In earlier versions I'd advocated, and still am, for a manager's style or preference selector beyond our present slider system and designed/dedicated specifically to lineups and substitutions, the latter affecting the former. Arbitrarily, let's just say provide a choice of: Offensive, Defensive, Balanced, Positional, Speed/Power, etc... Frankly, I don't what they'd be called, but allow the opportunity to dictate, or at least guide the substitution and lineup creation (that is, GMing it, not manually doing it) so there can be a reasonable expectation of results. Not perfect, mind you, but reasonable. Sub? What's the philosophy/preference? Defense (regardless of inning). Put in the best available defensive player, then. Sub? Positional. Shorstop out, then shortstop in and he'll PLAY shortstop in the lineup. Etc.... Lot of design work, but I do think there's merit for some future version.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:54 PM   #13
rocknfire7
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (4)
Quote:
Typically, whoever bats 7th takes over the leadoff role when the leadoff man is rested.....

That is in a non-DH league.....I have never played a DH-League, so I have no idea what happens in that.

In a non-DH league, the 7 hole is traditionally a spot where you want speed. If he gets on base with 2 outs, he can try to steal. If he is caught, then you have the 8th hitter leading off the next inning, instead of the pitcher, so it is thought of as a free from cost steal attempt.

In OOTP, you should put a fella in the 7-hole who will be your backup leadoff man. If you put a catcher there, he will lead off sometimes.....
Explains why the AI insists on placing a very slow running low OBP catcher at leadoff...I have noticed this before, but I wonder why the AI is so subjective with the #7 spot. Is this by design? That doesn't explain why the AI will bat the same catcher in the leadoff spot during spring training when no lineups are listed.
rocknfire7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:01 PM   #14
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If I have 8 or 12 or more lineups saved for the purposes you mentioned, it will probably take me close to as many clicks to load the lineups as it would to just put the players in before a game.

And any clicks I DO save, will probably be more than lost, whenever injuries force me to reset 8 or 12 or more different lineups.

And any manager who makes his lineups out weeks in advance, is not much of a manager, if you ask me.......
No. You are completely wrong. Ask anyone who has played Diamond Mind how useful they are and how easy they are to use.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:06 PM   #15
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknfire7 View Post
Explains why the AI insists on placing a very slow running low OBP catcher at leadoff...I have noticed this before, but I wonder why the AI is so subjective with the #7 spot. Is this by design? That doesn't explain why the AI will bat the same catcher in the leadoff spot during spring training when no lineups are listed.
Thought it was the #6 spot? I know my C on one of my teams tended to bat 6th and when the lead was rested the C would hit lead. A very lead footed C and his OBP was fairly low .298 career.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:17 PM   #16
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thought it was the #6 spot? I know my C on one of my teams tended to bat 6th and when the lead was rested the C would hit lead. A very lead footed C and his OBP was fairly low .298 career.
This is really bad lineup AI.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:30 PM   #17
rocknfire7
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (4)
#6, #7 #whatever, its still a dumb thing for the AI to do to a lineup.

One fun thing that I did several years ago with the 7 day lineups option and in an old 6.5 league called Time Warp Baseball (TWB), was take a Bert Campanaris type player and start him at a different position for 7 straight games. The player was a defensive backup in all the outfield positions and at 1b and was rarely used as a starter. He had ratings for every position except pitcher ( actually the very lowest) including use as a third string catcher and shortstop. I had the pennant wrapped up so it was neat to be able to do something like that.

I'd love to see the 7 day lineups extended.
rocknfire7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:01 PM   #18
ThePretender
All Star Starter

The only other lineup I'd like to see is a defensive lineup. If you have a guy with multi position eligibility, you can't take advantage of that late game if it sims through.

In one of my leagues I have a brutal defensive 2B and a guy at 3B who can play all over the IF. What I'd like to be able to do is shift the 3B to 2B and have the defensive replacement come in at third, but taking the lineup spot of the guy who was originally at 2B. As is, I can only replace the 3B with another 3B or the 2B with another 2B.

That's a situation where an extra defensive alignments/lineups can come in handy.
ThePretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:10 AM   #19
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

I am not asking for more/other lineups, but merely the ability to save multiple lineups, thus ridding the need for the four pre-set lineups the game currently has. This would allow for far more creativity.