Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game? A place for all new Out of the Park Baseball fans to ask questions about the game.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:03 PM   #1
tschirber
Minors (Single A)

Post-Game Activities

I'm relatively new to the game and currently playing OOTP13 in year 1 acting as the GM only for the Chicago Cubs. I've just completed the June Amateur Draft and am currently negotiating with my picks. I'm all over the place when it comes to post-game activities after the daily game sims.

I'm curious about what post-game activities, i.e., things that you do on a regular or somewhat regular basis prior to the next game or series of games that are played to stay on top of your organization and strategize for the future as a successful GM. Sometimes I think I'm missing out by not keying in on certain activities or stats that might be important or maybe not checking often enough. I know some "checks" will be regular and others triggered by certain events. In any event, it would be helpful for me and maybe others if some of the veterans could chime in on this one.

If the question has already been answered elsewhere, my apologies, and maybe you could point me in that direction of the forum. Regardless, thanks, in advance for your help with this question.
tschirber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:45 PM   #2
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschirber View Post
I'm relatively new to the game and currently playing OOTP13 in year 1 acting as the GM only for the Chicago Cubs. I've just completed the June Amateur Draft and am currently negotiating with my picks. I'm all over the place when it comes to post-game activities after the daily game sims.

I'm curious about what post-game activities, i.e., things that you do on a regular or somewhat regular basis prior to the next game or series of games that are played to stay on top of your organization and strategize for the future as a successful GM. Sometimes I think I'm missing out by not keying in on certain activities or stats that might be important or maybe not checking often enough. I know some "checks" will be regular and others triggered by certain events. In any event, it would be helpful for me and maybe others if some of the veterans could chime in on this one.

If the question has already been answered elsewhere, my apologies, and maybe you could point me in that direction of the forum. Regardless, thanks, in advance for your help with this question.
Well, when you are playing as GM only, the day-to-day management of your lineups and pitching staff, as well as on-the-field strategy, is taken out of your hands, presumably. So, you stay on a higher level and keep your eyes on such things as:
  • League news. At least your own league, if not minors and independents. Read the newspaper periodically.
  • Scouting reports. If you are playing with scouting, turn on the option to receive scouting reports on upcoming opponents and take notes on interesting players.
  • Check the Waiver Wire and Trading Block often. Depending on your game settings, and luck, you may find a useful player for a bargain.
  • Take a look at Free Agents even when free agency season is over. You might find a gem there, too. It doesn't happen often, but sometimes you pick up a prospect for the price of a minor league contract.
  • If you have the coaching option on, check the list of Available Personnel once in a while.
  • You want to analyze the amateur Draft Pools when they become available. Looking at the Draft Order will allow you to plan a bit on the first round of the draft at least.
  • Consult your Team reports regularly: Player Stats and Positional Strength Reports are key to seeing who is making the grade and who is not. Two extremely useful and important reports are the Player Development Report and Minor League Report. As GM, you need these to judge who is ready to bring up to the big league or may be useful in a trade.
  • Of course, there are many League reports to monitor throughout the season: Top Players and Prospects, Top Minor League Systems, Financial Report.
  • And surely you will want to keep an eye on Standings, Stats & Leaders, and Milestone Watch throughout the season.
Seems like a lot, but unless you are playing out your games, it's not bad. If you ever do take over field management as well as GM, watch out for the tendency to ignore some of the above as you proceed from game to game. I have that problem myself! Enjoy.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote