Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game? A place for all new Out of the Park Baseball fans to ask questions about the game.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:15 AM   #1
flannigan
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Knowledge of Baseball?

Hello there,

I'm currently waiting for Franchise Hockey Manager to come out, sick and tired of EHM but to fill the void I was looking into purchasing OOTP13. Now, my knowledge of baseball isn't the greatest, how much do I have to know in order to play the game?
flannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:11 AM   #2
Scottiedog
All Star Reserve

It's a fairly deep game to be frank. Although, their is an awesome supporting cast of developers and players in the forums. You can download the trial version of the game and see if it is what ya want for free. I would personally go that route if I was you.

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, but the Marines don't have that problem. "

Giovani della Casa

"I cannot divine how it happens that the man who knows the least is the most argumentative”
Scottiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:41 PM   #3
SteveP

It's a very good way to learn about the professional game. You can have the AI manage all the functions for your team, and you can take over whatever functions you feel comfortable about handling. Although the AI isn't as savvy as a knowledgeable human, you can learn by watching what the AI does.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:42 PM   #4
mike2228
Major Leagues

It is possible to set up a very bare bones league. No minor league teams, no rule 5, no waivers, no 10/5, no finances ect. You could make the game as simple or complex as you want. You learn about baseball quickly by playing the game.
mike2228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:03 PM   #5
flannigan
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thank you all very much for the response, going to purchase this game shortly after Christmas when I set up my Mac.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:11 PM   #6
Bigrod
OOTP Stats Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by flannigan View Post
Thank you all very much for the response, going to purchase this game shortly after Christmas when I set up my Mac.
Do yourself a big favor and purchase the Mac version directly from ootp and not the Apple store unless you absolutely have to.
You'll get our updates when we release them, won't have to wait for Apple's approval and be much happier..
Bigrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:18 AM   #7
flannigan
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Bought it, holy **** am I ever confused. Hopefully with time it'll get better!
Old 12-25-2012, 11:42 AM   #8
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Consider running a league from 10,00 ft. You are the GM/commish but let the AI run everything. Sim 2-3 days or a week or more during slow periods but make sure to stop and look at results and transactions for your team and around the league. This will help you see the logic (sometimes bizarre) used in building rosters managing payroll etc. This will make you familiar with many players which in turn will make you understand player ratings better

During important events, the amateur draft, the rule 5 draft (I assume a MLB set up) and the end of spring training sim one day at a time or for the amateur draft click through the first 2-3 rounds one player at a time. During the season comparing players/teams/results/stats should get your evaluation skills up to speed quickly.

Best Wishes. Stick with it even if frustrated. This is a great game but you are smarter.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:46 AM   #9
flannigan
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanks Rich,

I'm so behind on this I can't even figure out how to get the MLB teams to become real names, been downloading stuff and nothing has been working ;/
Old 12-25-2012, 11:53 AM   #10
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thanks Rich,

I'm so behind on this I can't even figure out how to get the MLB teams to become real names, been downloading stuff and nothing has been working ;/
Use the MLB quick start. I believe it is in the game as installed.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:56 AM   #11
flannigan
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Nope, can't find it. Any way to get a refund on this, **** I must be stupid. I have all the players, all the team names then it's like "Detroit Rioters" or something stupid.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:42 PM   #12
Bigrod
OOTP Stats Master

Quote:
Thanks Rich,

Check your pms and real names problem will be solved.
Bigrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:01 PM   #13
Edster007
All Star Starter

I am new as well. I have gotten through creating my own fictional league using 1978 players. Two 5 team divisions. No problem so far. What I want to is be the GM/manager of each team. Its what i did when I was a kid. I would like to mange the home team in each game. I am on the "get a job" day and dont want to advance to the draft until I know what I am doing. I saw plenty of options to have the AI take over everything. Is it simply a matter of just staying in commish mode?
Edster007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:22 PM   #14
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

In order to be gm of every team do this:

Name:  qqqqq.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  242.0 KB

All PBA games broadcast live on Steam.

Last edited by Honorable_Pawn; 12-27-2012 at 08:23 PM.
Honorable_Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:25 PM   #15
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

In order to be manager of every game do this:

Name:  JJJJJJ.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  183.1 KB

Old 12-27-2012, 08:37 PM   #16
Garethw87

Quote:
Hello there,

I'm currently waiting for Franchise Hockey Manager to come out, sick and tired of EHM but to fill the void I was looking into purchasing OOTP13. Now, my knowledge of baseball isn't the greatest, how much do I have to know in order to play the game?
Just take it slow, read the forums and post anything you dont understand. You'll usually get a response in a few hours. If you've never watched baseball before then download or Youtube a game? So you'll understand poisitons and whatnot abit easier. I was the same as you. I start in 08 I think it was, didn't have a clue. Still kept buying the games each year as it's a good company and the game, once you start to understand is amazing! Im on OOTP13 now and still horrible at it like you im waiting for FHM as hockey is my game!
Old 12-27-2012, 09:15 PM   #17
Edster007
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honorable_Pawn View Post
In order to be manager of every game do this:

Attachment 273329
Thanks for the info. I don't know how I missed that when I was in the league setup screen.
Edster007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:40 PM   #18
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

anytime