Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Online Leagues > Earlier versions of OOTP: Commissioner's Corner
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: Commissioner's Corner Want to run an online league? Want to learn about the 'ins' and 'outs' of being a commish? This is the place!

Old 02-23-2009, 10:45 PM   #1
satchel
Hall Of Famer

My league will upgrade to OOTPX. Will yours?

The unofficial policy of the Jamaica League is to always use the most up-to-date version of Out of the Park Baseball.

We will convert as soon as two criteria have been reached: when owners have had sufficient time to purchase the game; and when the game is stable and significant progress has been made toward quashing its major bugs.

Some owners may not be able to afford the game; we will deal with this problem when it arises.

Certain owners might not want to convert. That's too bad, but that does not affect the league's plan.

The league's commitment to always using the most recent version of the game implies that owners must spend about $40 per year to continue membership. This is no small requirement, and I've never been explicit about it in the past. As I said, this policy is unofficial; that is, it's not in our Rules. Maybe I should put it in there.

Does your league have a policy? What's your league going to do after OOTPX comes out?
FL New Orleans Black Sox ’56 ’57 ’58 ’59
satchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:14 PM   #2
mikev
Hall Of Famer

Nope. Not until at least one major patch is out, if not a couple of them.

The MBBA jumped ship asap from 6.5 when 2006 came out, and it basically killed the league because 2006 was so bad.

My leagues won't beta test anymore.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:38 PM   #3
kq76
Global Moderator

Good question. I really have no idea if the CBL will upgrade or not. IIRC, we upgraded pretty consistently from OOTP4 through to OOTP6.5, but it took forever for it to go to OOTP9. I think probably the main stumbling block was that OOTP2006 just wasn't ready for the bigs and while OOTP2007 may have been there was still quite a bit of hesitation. Once it came to OOTP9's arrival I think what turned the tide was it was getting difficult to find replacement members so it was either upgrade or probably die within a year or so. That threat isn't going to be there with OOTP10, but it wasn't there with OOTP5 or 6 either so who knows.

Whatever we do I'm sure we won't do it right away, that we'll at least wait to see what all the solo players say and what some of the early adopting online leagues say.
kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:19 AM   #4
Corsairs
Hall Of Famer

The PEBA's criteria for migration is that I've had time to test out the new platform and feel comfortable that it's relatively stable. Once that's been determined, we will migrate over during our next offseason. I would guess the transition would happen 2-3 months after the release of OOTP X.
Corsairs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:00 AM   #5
satchel
Hall Of Famer

My guess, mostly based on v9, is that the patching will be 90% done about two months after the game's release.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:08 AM   #6
Alan T
All Star Starter

Our league was one of the first onto OOTP9 (pretty much right after release). In brief recent discussions, there seems to be a pretty high percentage of members in our league that don't want to buy ootp10 due to reported bugs from ootp9 that affected the league very often and never got fixed. So I doubt the league will upgrade at least in the short term future.

The informal straw poll seemed to show roughly 60-70% of the league didn't even want to buy ootp 10 due to the various issues.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:10 AM   #7
canadiancreed
Hall Of Famer

More then likely although it's mainly because it's being delayed until OOTPX is released.
canadiancreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:11 AM   #8
canadiancreed
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Our league was one of the first onto OOTP9 (pretty much right after release). In brief recent discussions, there seems to be a pretty high percentage of members in our league that don't want to buy ootp10 due to reported bugs from ootp9 that affected the league very often and never got fixed. So I doubt the league will upgrade at least in the short term future.

The informal straw poll seemed to show roughly 60-70% of the league didn't even want to buy ootp 10 due to the various issues.
Sounds like they should get their proverbial weight on those issues. Now's the time to do it.
canadiancreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 01:00 PM   #9
satchel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Our league was one of the first onto OOTP9 (pretty much right after release).
What league?
Old 02-24-2009, 01:15 PM   #10
Alan T
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchel View Post
What league?
The one I'm speaking of is FOOL (Front office offseason league).

It is a bit faster paces than most OOTP leagues (has owners that get bored with slower pace of many traditional online leagues) so it progresses one season every week.

Due to that, we encounter many of the known OOTP bugs fairly often to the point where they annoyed the league owners repeatedly.

For instance, every Monday we usually get to hear the complaints of owners who are trying to set their draft lists and constantly have to re-do them due to the reported bug where the game randomly deletes players from draft lists.

Every Saturday/Sunday various owners post a list of whichever players they have that got hit by the known roll-over bug where suddenly their stats vs RH go from near 100 to 20.

So we probably inflict upon ourselves more pain than most leagues due to our pace, but it also helps makes glaring bugs that much more annoying when they never got fixed.

My hopes are that ootp10 ends up being great, and focused far more on fixing issues and being bug free moreso than features.. and eventually the other members in the league will be won over and decide to upgrade. I was in a league that never upgraded from ootp6 for years and that just ended up being no fun.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:27 PM   #11
satchel
Hall Of Famer

Thanks for the details, AT. An informative perspective.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:11 PM   #12
Stu
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikev View Post
Nope. Not until at least one major patch is out, if not a couple of them.

The MBBA jumped ship asap from 6.5 when 2006 came out, and it basically killed the league because 2006 was so bad.

My leagues won't beta test anymore.
Same here. We were on the bleeding edge for every version since 2006. My owners and I are pretty happy with how things have been running in v9 and none of the new features are jaw dropping must haves to me. We'll probably wait until at least the first major patch.
Old 02-28-2009, 04:18 PM   #13
Solonor
Hall Of Famer

We never switch mid-season unless there is a compelling reason. Since we're getting ready to start 2019 spring training, I doubt we'll switch to OOTP X until 2020.

"Beings will come, Frodo. The one constant through all the years has been baseball. Middle Earth has rolled by like an army of Mumakil. It has been erased like a slate, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Frodo. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... beings will come Frodo. Beings will most definitely come." - Gladden Field of Dreams
Solonor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:46 PM   #14
rem
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solonor View Post
We never switch mid-season unless there is a compelling reason. Since we're getting ready to start 2019 spring training, I doubt we'll switch to OOTP X until 2020.
I am pretty sure that you're not supposed to switch leagues midseason and might not even be possible.

2005 Winner of LL's Pick the Loser Contest! - 15-0
rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:17 PM   #15
Solonor
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by remangiii View Post
I am pretty sure that you're not supposed to switch leagues midseason and might not even be possible.
It's possible, and we have done it at least once. It's just not a very good idea.

"Beings will come, Frodo. The one constant through all the years has been baseball. Middle Earth has rolled by like an army of Mumakil. It has been erased like a slate, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Frodo. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... beings will come Frodo. Beings will most definitely come." - Gladden Field of Dreams
Solonor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:44 AM   #16
bulldog55
Hall Of Famer

My general rule of thumb is to wait one season before switching, so that major bugs can be identified and owners can have a chance to get the game. I'm always wary of waiting too long; I've had leagues in the past where for most of the owners, my league was the only reason they still had the old version installed, and I think it really hurt participation and that the league suffered in the long run by falling behind in people's interest level.

TCBA gets through one year per month so I figure that one month will be a good amount of time to wait without dragging out v9 too long.

Being smart, don't always make you popular.
bulldog55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:34 PM   #17
john1974
Major Leagues

Over The Fence will remain with OOTP2009 until OOTP2011 comes out. We just decided as a league its getting old buying a new game every year when we can get another year out of 2009.
john1974 is offline   Reply With Quote