Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-29-2017, 10:55 AM   #41
Matt Uk
Major Leagues

Lots to chew on with this Pro/Rel and how best to do it.

Some thoughts...

I think a league wide salary cap may help, perhaps no cap in the top league and then a reducing one as you go down.

I think reserve rosters (with a limit - 25?) has to be the way to go rather than them having minor league teams.

Luxury Tax - best to turn it off, ie No revenue sharing?

No draft (just my opinion)

Allow trades with other major leagues

National Media Contract - I think this has to be shared per team rather than market size to allow those teams getting promoted who might be small market to still get their share of the media money and give them more chance of competing.

Play offs - Off. Unless you want to set something up for the top league to decided a champion other than the team finishing first.

International Free Agents - not sure, I'm leaning towards off.

League Level - I think setting all leagues to Major Leagues and just decrese the reputation as you go down.

I think I'm going to set up a test one like that and see how it plays out.
Matt Uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 11:56 AM   #42
Rain King
Hall Of Famer

I agree with pretty much all of that.
Rain King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 12:16 PM   #43
ripitback
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Uk View Post
Lots to chew on with this Pro/Rel and how best to do it.

Some thoughts...

I think a league wide salary cap may help, perhaps no cap in the top league and then a reducing one as you go down.

I think reserve rosters (with a limit - 25?) has to be the way to go rather than them having minor league teams.

Luxury Tax - best to turn it off, ie No revenue sharing?

No draft (just my opinion)

Allow trades with other major leagues

National Media Contract - I think this has to be shared per team rather than market size to allow those teams getting promoted who might be small market to still get their share of the media money and give them more chance of competing.

Play offs - Off. Unless you want to set something up for the top league to decided a champion other than the team finishing first.

International Free Agents - not sure, I'm leaning towards off.

League Level - I think setting all leagues to Major Leagues and just decrese the reputation as you go down.

I think I'm going to set up a test one like that and see how it plays out.
My only concern would be on the salary cap. If a team with a high payroll was relegated and now they are over the cap in the league they are relegated too.
ripitback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 12:29 PM   #44
Rain King
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripitback View Post
My only concern would be on the salary cap. If a team with a high payroll was relegated and now they are over the cap in the league they are relegated too.
Good point, I guess I missed that one. I do not like the salary cap for pro/reg.
Rain King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 04:52 PM   #45
Tyke
All Star Starter

Would it mean that a relegated team would need to dump salary, forcing them to release more expensive players? If so, that would be realistic. And didn't I read somewhere that there might be a contract clause that would give players the option to file as free agents if the team was relegated?

Last edited by Tyke; 03-29-2017 at 04:56 PM.
Tyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:22 PM   #46
Jakeydude18
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyke View Post
Would it mean that a relegated team would need to dump salary, forcing them to release more expensive players? If so, that would be realistic. And didn't I read somewhere that there might be a contract clause that would give players the option to file as free agents if the team was relegated?
In theory they would have to release players if a team gets relagated. But, in most open league systems (where P/R is a thing) there isn't a salary cap. Usually the decrease in revenue and ticket sales equates to teams having to release players in order to maintain profit.

In baseball, and in the code of game (I think), contracts are guaranteed so releasing players would give teams a huge loss in a very short amount of time. Plus the added bonus of not generating the same revenue as the year prior seems to be a double whammy in my opinion.
Jakeydude18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 11:10 PM   #47
Bahnzo
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeydude18 View Post
In theory they would have to release players if a team gets relagated. But, in most open league systems (where P/R is a thing) there isn't a salary cap. Usually the decrease in revenue and ticket sales equates to teams having to release players in order to maintain profit.

In baseball, and in the code of game (I think), contracts are guaranteed so releasing players would give teams a huge loss in a very short amount of time. Plus the added bonus of not generating the same revenue as the year prior seems to be a double whammy in my opinion.
Yeah, the guaranteed contracts and not being able to sell players kind of handcuffs this a bit. Plus a lot of players have a release clause in their contracts if a club gets demoted so they are gone on a free transfer.
Bahnzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 12:16 PM   #48
Matt Uk
Major Leagues

Maybe that's something that might be handy to add from Pro/rel games then, an option to release a player with no cost involved.
Matt Uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 04:24 PM   #49
Bill Veeck
Minors (Rookie Ball)

This is great stuff guys. Trying to replicate how promotion and relegation works financially in the Premier League and below is tricky and would be tricky if applied to the majors. You sometimes have big teams relegated in England (although it is rare) and they have larger stadia generally - one right now averaging over 50,000 per match despite having been relegated. The big difference is media rights and that would probably be largely the same here. A second division would have a hard time generating media dollars in the US compared to a first division. That's where you have to make your difference.

And this is largely proven because even large relegated clubs over there often have a hard time getting back up even with what are called "parachute payments" designed to give them a soft landing when going from 100m to 10m or less. Once the huge media dollars go...
Bill Veeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 03:23 PM   #50
hoffspur
Minors (Single A)

Setting up a Pro/Rel league and this has been a fantastic resource.

I'm very curious how the 4th sim turned out with the slight inflation, though.
hoffspur is offline   Reply With Quote