Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > OOTP 21- New to the Game?

OOTP 21- New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 03-30-2020, 06:09 PM   #1
jeffself
Bat Boy

New to OOTP

I just purchased OOTP 21 because I became frustrated with DMB's lack of progress over the last 10-15 years.

In DMB, I wanted to create a greatest teams tournament with 64 teams. Each series between two teams would be a 144 game schedule. The team with the better record would advance to the next round. So before each series, I would reset the league and delete the existing teams, then import the two teams that would play. I had a schedule created that would get updated for the two new teams. I would auto-play the series, stopping every couple of weeks to make sure the players were staying close to their actual playing time. If a player exceeded his real playing time, I would deactivate that player.

This worked great until I noticed that all of the teams from the early 1900's were getting crushed. For instance, the 2007 Boston Red Sox beat the 1904 New York Giants 114 times out of 144. This was consistent for every team in the early 1900's. I finally had enough when I had a matchup between the 1984 Detroit Tigers and the 1975 Cincinnati Reds and the Tigers won 110 games out of 144. So while Diamond Mind is great at replaying a season, it doesn't fare well with teams from different eras.

So how would I build something like this in OOTP? I don't want the game to do anything but play a 144 game schedule and use the players like they were used in real life. No trades, no farm teams, no career. I just want to play a 144 game series between two historical teams. If the game can handle their playing time accurately, that would be great. Otherwise, I can do this myself.

I saw an option (Historical Exhibition) for playing a series but it was limited to only a maximum of 9 games. It seems like this would be the perfect solution if they could allow me to choose how many games I want to play.

Last edited by jeffself; 03-30-2020 at 06:10 PM.
jeffself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 06:46 PM   #2
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

What you'd probably want to do, first, is create a fictional league structure. You can choose the number of teams and divisions. Then, instead of filling it will fictional teams, you would choose teams from the historical database. Check out this page of the manual:

http://manuals.ootpdevelopments.com/...storical_teams
pstrickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 09:35 PM   #3
jeffself
Bat Boy

When I get to the final step, it wants me to create a manager profile and asks my role. Plus it wants me to select a team. How do I bypass this? I don't want this. I want to control both teams.
jeffself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 11:12 PM   #4
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

Check the box for Play in Commissioner mode. Disregard the rest.
pstrickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 04:28 PM   #5
ablobj
Minors (Double A)

I just did two sims of a 162 game season between the 2007 Sox and the 1904 Giants, one with the settings set to 2007, the other with the settings set to 1904. Using 2007 settings, the Sox won 128 games, using the 1904 settings, the Sox won 83 games.
ablobj is offline   Reply With Quote