Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 06-18-2019, 05:37 PM   #1
Bears5122
All Star Reserve

Player Development Settings (Aging/Development)

I know there have been threads over the years on this topic but I'm wondering what everyone is setting theirs at. Few things I've noticed.

- I know this is a young mans game, but players seem to fall off real fast. Like MVP caliber one season to below replacement player the next. This has happened in real life, but it seems to be the norm in this game.

- Not enough young players making the majors. There are a lot more players making their debut at 21-23 years of age (especially hitters). But in OOTP that is incredibly rare. I feel like the settings for this were accurate 10+ years ago, but not so much now.

- The AI loves signing long term deals to guys 30 or over. This means they end up having a bunch of big money contracts for worthless players.

- Since guys make the majors later in their development, you rarely have a superstar hit the market under 30 years old. I almost never see the Bryce Harper/Jason Heyward types hitting free agency in their prime.

So my thoughts are to slow down aging a bit. This allows players to not drop off as dramatically (I hope). Also make the AI a little more competitive.

Also increase development speed a little bit. Hopefully get a few more guys to hit the majors and be decent at 22-23 years old.

Now my question is what settings do you use? And how dramatic of an impact does changing it have? I was thinking of making it:

Batting Aging: 0.90
Batter Dev Speed: 1.10
Pitcher Aging 0.90
Pitcher Dev Speed 1.05

Pitchers seem closer on the development scale than the hitters so I'm even thinking of just leaving it at 1.00.

Would love to hear others thoughts.

Also does anyone know if changing the development settings in the middle of a league change the outlook for current players? Or are their development paths preset and it would only affect newly created players?
Bears5122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 06:28 PM   #2
atlbrave1
Minors (Triple A)

I looked at this after the game was released, thinking it was a bit wonky, but as I recall (don't have numbers in front of me) the default numbers did a good job of aligning to age over a long period of time. I used PA's and BF's per age and compared to the last 15-20 years of info from Baseball Reference and it was comparable.I didn't look at effectiveness by age, just looked to see that the playing time was similar.

But luckily for us the game allows those to be changed to satisfy each of our needs, so tweak away until you get want you want to see.
atlbrave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 06:44 PM   #3
AirmenSmith
Hall Of Famer

I actually have started to lower the aging a lot. I now put this at .40 for both. I'm sick of players retiring at 36 years old. Give me the old days when they played till at least 40. It's exciting to get that one or two guys that play till 44.

AirmenSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:35 PM   #4
sabrtoothtiger
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirmenSmith View Post
I actually have started to lower the aging a lot. I now put this at .40 for both. I'm sick of players retiring at 36 years old. Give me the old days when they played till at least 40. It's exciting to get that one or two guys that play till 44.
That era of baseball may be over, with 100 aging you typically only see the elite guys stay around that long. Which is how it should be in my opinion.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:21 AM   #5
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
I go with

Batting Aging: 0.75
Batter Dev Speed: 1.25
Pitcher Aging 0.75
Pitcher Dev Speed 1.25
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 11:19 AM   #6
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
I use default. Markus and Matt have done more research and test runs than I could ever do on my own. I've done this since v4 (2002) in a game I imported into every version since. I've had exceptional P's pitch well into their low 40's and batters doing the same with hitting.

The only thing I change is LTMs as stats can fluctuate too much which is understandable in a game with "living" ratings changing all of the time.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 11:35 AM   #7
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Default for me also.

I always thought it was counter productive to speed up development and slow aging. You wind up with good young players in AAA chomping at the bit to get called up but they can't because older guys are hanging around taking up roster spots.

Last edited by Bluenoser; 06-19-2019 at 11:37 AM.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 12:27 PM   #8
andyhdz
All Star Starter

I used to be team lets change the aging/dev modifiers but now I leave on default. They definitely have gotten a lot better than in previous versions. I'm seeing you guys 20 or 21 make the majors (but not too ridiculous) and older guys over 40 still being productive (but not too ridiculous). Just right.
andyhdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 04:22 PM   #9
native son
Minors (Double A)

Mostly on topic - I bought this up in another thread, but unfortunately got no responses. I use feeders and create all players at age 14. By the time they reach the majors, I have almost literally an entire league full of pitchers maxing out velocity at over 100 mph.

I lowered the pitcher development speed to .700 and left the aging alone, which seems to have helped just a tiny bit. I’m hesitant to drop it more. Does anyone have any experience with their young feeder league pitchers getting too many velocity bumps by the time they reach the majors?
Old 06-19-2019, 05:52 PM   #10
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Default is the most realistic....if you want something other than modern day MLB realism....feel free to adjust the modifiers.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:47 PM   #11
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
Even adjusting it doesn't actually do a whole lot unless it is really extreme.

I think the default is just a little to slow with development especially compared to modern day. Plenty up under 23 year olds getting call ups.

And aging it not really about the 40 year old. But about the 30-35 year old. Plenty of them in mlb. On defaults once you sim out some years players sharply decline at that age.

Like if you wanted a dozen 40 year olds in the league you probably would have to say drop aging to something under .50.
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 08:46 AM   #12
Fredrocker
Major Leagues

In both leagues (XFBL and MTBA) we use historical players but use the game development engine (not historical stat based), so players come into the draft with their real life potentials, but after that its a crap shoot...

I use in both leagues...

Batter Aging = .925
Batter Develop = 1.050
Pitcher Aging = .900
Pitcher Develop = 1.075

and another big factor is Talent Change Randomness which I have set at '75' (1-200)

We have players like Bob Gibson and Jim Kaat with 300+ wins and pitching well in their 40s....

List off older players below:
Fredrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 02:05 PM   #13
jcmurr
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Talent change randomness seems to be very (if more) important. I put that at .65 in my saves because I see guys fall off a cliff way too often it seems.

I don’t touch aging but I put development at 1.05/1.1
jcmurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 08:22 PM   #14
Dogzilla
Major Leagues

I use:
Batter Aging = .750
Batter Develop = 1.35
Pitcher Aging = .650
Pitcher Develop = 1.25

Maybe not the most realistic but I like the way it works. It's not drastic; I think I have one 40+ player in the league, and the youngest player is 20.
I thought it might create higher scoring in minor leagues but I haven't noticed that.
Dogzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 04:32 PM   #15
Drstrangelove
Major Leagues

I use .50 for aging and 1.5 for development (both pitchers and batters.) Surprisingly, it hasn't done that much that I can detect.

Lowering the aging metric didn't seem to do much. (I set aging to .50 and I still can't get players to age 40. I even ran a test league out 30 years. The oldest players then (after 30 years) were not "older" than they were at default.) Bumping development has given me a few players under age 23 in the league as regulars (around 15), but almost no one under 22 is playing. Not sure how this compares to MLB, but it seems okay. Great players are coming up by age 23-24, reaching FA and either getting a long term deal as an extension or signing a 4-7 year deal as an FA. Older players with skills are still being signed at ages 33-36, which is one thing I wanted. I still want to see some guys play late (like Stargell, Rose, Seaver, or Aaron), but I can't get that to work.

I grew up in the pre-steroid days when players kept playing (or seemed to be playing) well past 35, but sometimes were done by age 32-33. For every Mays and Musial, there seemed to be a Drysdale or Hunter. Here is the actual list of the oldest player by year (by league ) in MLB.
https://www.baseball-reference.com/l..._leagues.shtml

As one can see there has almost always been someone over 40 in baseball. So far, .50 doesn't seem to do that for me, so if you want aged 40's players, something much lower might be the ticket.

Last edited by Drstrangelove; 06-23-2019 at 04:52 PM.
Drstrangelove is offline   Reply With Quote