Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-23-2019, 03:53 PM   #1
skywalkr2
Major Leagues

International free agents - yea or nay?

I like to play with all the leagues of the world included and just have players organically move between leagues when it makes sense. In that case... I think it doesn't make sense to have international free agents on. Does anyone else agree?

I also think the game should default to have these turned off if the major leagues (Japan, Korea, etc) are included.
skywalkr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 04:39 PM   #2
slugga27
All Star Starter

+1
slugga27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 04:46 PM   #3
low
Hall Of Famer

Since I always play with all leagues enabled I always turn them off.
low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 05:41 PM   #4
skywalkr2
Major Leagues

In my current save I forgot to turn them off and the first offseason a free agent from Korea appeared. Plays 2b/ss/3b very well... and is over 70 in all offensive attributes.

I wouldn't mind this feature if the above didn't happen.
skywalkr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 06:18 AM   #5
dwin
Bat Boy

How do you do this? (Turn off international free agents)
dwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 07:18 AM   #6
slugga27
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwin View Post
How do you do this? (Turn off international free agents)

League settings > Player

Near the bottom on the left-hand side. Switch the setting from “Default” to “None”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
slugga27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 10:39 AM   #7
DMan77
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Had a couple 80/80s pop up one year... I turned this down to 5 per year and I just edit them if they're too strong...

But I like the idea of the occasional IFA coming along with a ton of talent because hey, it happens in the MLB.
DMan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 10:43 AM   #8
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
If your playing with a full universe no need for randomly generated experienced international free agents.

I do think you need to modify Cuba's financials make sure they have free agency and no foreign players allowed.

But that way you will have a real free agents with stats. I never see anyone posting that much like one player every 5 years maybe.

But as soon as they become free agents in their league they are free agents every where.
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 01:55 PM   #9
Dr. P.R. Park III
All Star Reserve

The distinction should be made clearly between "Amateur" and "Established" free agents.

Amateurs emulate the very real and important migration of namely Latin American teenagers that major league teams sign and these eventually constitute a real majority of MLB rosters.

Established free agents are random nobodies with no stats and these require no development...you want the latter disabled and the former enabled to ensure your primary major league maintains a competitive balance and players with good ratings are generated and make an impact in your universe.
Dr. P.R. Park III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 02:27 PM   #10
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. P.R. Park III View Post
The distinction should be made clearly between "Amateur" and "Established" free agents.

Amateurs emulate the very real and important migration of namely Latin American teenagers that major league teams sign and these eventually constitute a real majority of MLB rosters.

Established free agents are random nobodies with no stats and these require no development...you want the latter disabled and the former enabled to ensure your primary major league maintains a competitive balance and players with good ratings are generated and make an impact in your universe.
I think a big part of the problem for people is how to handle Cuban players.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 12:26 PM   #11
Wingedlion14
Minors (Double A)

I set it up so that it’s the fewest amount and they’re all from Cuba. That’s how I simulate the Cuban defectors, since I cant include too many leagues on my computer or it doesn’t run well.
Wingedlion14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 01:15 PM   #12
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingedlion14 View Post
I set it up so that it’s the fewest amount and they’re all from Cuba. That’s how I simulate the Cuban defectors, since I cant include too many leagues on my computer or it doesn’t run well.
Cuban players no longer defect.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 01:49 PM   #13
Wingedlion14
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
Oh yea, forgot about that
Wingedlion14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 01:53 PM   #14
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

i always turn it off. I don't like how players feel like they just appear out of nowhere with no history.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:29 PM   #15
diesel230
All Star Reserve

I turn them off because they ruin my "world". Having some stud show up out of nowhere ruined things for me.

International amateurs that show up in early July, the 16 year old kids like Dr. Park mentioned is realistic and happens often in real life as we know.
diesel230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 01:53 AM   #16
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
Cuba you just gave to turn reserve era clause off. Cuba MLB in December have agreement after 6 years and 25 or older free agents to MLB. Certain % to Cuba league.

If under 25 Cuba can post for certain % to Cuba league in $$$

The % all.chsnged depending on how much contract and signing bonus are I believe. But I think all current posted players work that way no more straight amount of money it's all % based these days
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 10:03 AM   #17
jeffw3000
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1927p View Post
i always turn it off. I don't like how players feel like they just appear out of nowhere with no history.
In the Dominican Republic that is what happens in real life. If they are not a potential future superstar, the players appear out of nowhere with no history, and next to impossible to find any information on them. Tough just finding out when the player was born, or from which side he throws/bats.
jeffw3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 10:55 AM   #18
PocketsAintFull
All Star Starter

Ah, this thread is useful, thanks. I think I turned off Amateurs and allowed Established, d'oh. (I have all the 'Americas' leagues plus Korea and Japan).