Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Dynasty Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP Dynasty Reports Tell us about the OOTP dynasties you have built!

Old 01-26-2014, 12:40 PM   #1
abefrohman
Major Leagues

Chicago Cubs: The Renaissance Period

March 30, 2013

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Just kidding. So, where do I begin?

If you look up the word "renaissance" in the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, it is defined as a "rebirth, revival; a situation or period of time when there is a new interest in something that has not been popular in a long time". Artistically, the "Renaissance" period is defined as "having occurred between the 14th and 17th centuries when there was a humanistic revival of classical influence expressed in a flowering of the arts and literature and by the beginnings of modern science".

Today, in Chicago, I hope to be the person that helps lead a new Renaissance period for the Chicago Cubs. I've attempted a few dynasty reports in the past, but stopped them because of a variety of reasons. The main reason was that I am a perfectionist and I'm not just satisfied with doing any kind of simulation. I want it to be as accurate and close to real-life as possible. I know that it'll probably never be a perfect simulation, but I want it as close to perfection as possible. To achieve that goal, I have spent the last couple of months reading and researching a lot of the posts on this forum to create the best settings as possible in order to achieve the most realistic simulation.

I was offered the job of GM as the Chicago Cubs and I accepted it. As far as my background is concerned, I have written more about baseball than I've played it. I played on a softball league a few years ago and our team won the local championship. My background is in journalism although baseball has always been my first love since my grandparents took me to my first game at the age of 6 in 1978. I became a Cubs fan in May 1984 when I was 12 years old and today at 41 I am as passionate about them now as I was then.

It was a no-brainer that I would accept this job. However, I knew that this would lead to multiple interviews from fellow journalists who would frequently ask, "Do you know what you're getting into?" Yes, of course I do. I won't say use the word "dream job" because almost everyone who ever uses that term winds up looking for a new dream job a couple of years later. I will say that this is an enormous opportunity for me and everyone involved with the Cubs organization because we are going to help lead this team back to winning, back to the playoffs, and, yes, back to the World Series. We are going to be a part of the Chicago Cubs Renaissance Period.

Last edited by abefrohman; 01-26-2014 at 12:52 PM.
abefrohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 01:10 PM   #2
abefrohman
Major Leagues

The Staff

Many people are probably wondering what's going to happen with Theo Epstein and Jed Hoyer. Theo and Jed are staying in Chicago although both are getting promotions in the front office. Both of them were telling me this morning about a new film being made about the 2003-2004 Boston Red Sox to be directed by Ben Affleck called Reverse The Curse. The movie will star Jake Gyllenhaal as Theo, Evan Handler as Terry Francona, John Getz as Larry Lucchino, Matt Damon as Jed, Tommy Lee Jones as Grady Little and Dana Carvey (yes, Dana Carvey) as John Henry. They told me it's in the pre-production stages right now, but I told them that it sounds like it's going to be a good movie.

There will be no changes to the manager or coaching staff of the Chicago Cubs. Dale Sveum returns along with Jamie Quirk, James Rowson and Chris Bosio along with Dave McKay and new third base coach David Bell. One of the changes that I had to make in OOTP is to "fire" Rob Deer as hitting coach and replace him with Rowson. In real-life, Deer was the assistant hitting coach of the Cubs. I wonder if OOTP will allow for assistant hitting coaches in future additions since they are becoming more prevalent now.

After being announced as the new Cubs GM and answering questions at the press conference, I took time out of my busy schedule to visit a local children's hospital in Chicago. I can relate to some of the kids because I was sick at the age of 6 with spinal meningitis. I spent a month in the hospital after being in a coma for a week and I'm very lucky and grateful to be alive. Being around these kids helps put things in perspective. Sometimes you get caught up in the details, take things for granted. You really need to take a step back and give back to the fans, especially those who are less fortunate. I have a lot of work ahead of me in Chicago, but it's nothing compared to what these kids go through every day. My job is easy.

That is why I don't buy into this notion that the Chicago Cubs are cursed or that they are a snake bitten organization. To be a part of the Chicago Cubs, let alone any Major League team, is a blessing, not a curse. We have a lot of work to do in changing the perception of the Cubs as well as the mentality of this organization. Personally, I've had enough of the insecure attitude that's permeated much of this organization and fan base for far too long. That is what we hope to change and I realize that it won't happen overnight, but I'm going to do whatever I can to help make it happen.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:39 PM   #3
abefrohman
Major Leagues

Opening Day 2013

Let the simulation begin! Here are my settings:

Lineup selection: Traditional
Ratings weight: 35%
Current year stats weight: 45%
Previous year stats weight: 15%
2 years ago stats weight: 5%

AI Trading Frequency: Average
Trading Difficulty: Hard
Trading Preference: Favor Prospects

"Expansion", "Schedule Length", "Team Relocation" and "Team Nickname" are all unchecked in this simulation.

Now, on to the first game of the season! The Cubs came back from a 5-0 deficit on a rainy day in Pittsburgh to edge the Pirates 7-6 on Opening Day. Player of the Game was Starlin Castro who went 3-5 with 2 RBIs and 2 SBs.
Attached Images
Old 01-26-2014, 03:02 PM   #4
abefrohman
Major Leagues

Game #2-April 3, 2013

New Cubs pitcher Edwin Jackson was cruising through 6 1/3 scoreless innings before having to leave the game due to an injury. The same fate befell their relief pitcher Shawn Camp who is out for a week with a mild hamstring strain. Unfortunately, Chicago's bullpen couldn't hold a 2-0 lead as Pittsburgh edged the Cubs 3-2. The Pirates defense (or lack thereof) also made 4 errors in this game.
Attached Images
Old 01-26-2014, 03:13 PM   #5
abefrohman
Major Leagues

Game #3-April 4, 2013

The Cubs bullpen blew another opportunity as relief pitcher Kyuji Fujikawa gave up a walk-off three-run homer to Pirates third baseman Pedro Alvarez in the bottom of the 11th which sent a crowd of 28,195 at PNC Park into a frenzy.
Attached Images
Old 01-26-2014, 03:22 PM   #6
abefrohman
Major Leagues

Edwin Jackson Out For Season

This is a tough loss and big blow to our starting rotation. However, we will not be deterred as we move forward. We promoted SP Casey Coleman from AAA Iowa to the big-league roster where he will be #2 in the rotation and we've also began to negotiate a major-league contract with free agent SP Jamie Moyer.
Attached Images
Old 01-27-2014, 12:40 AM   #7
abefrohman
Major Leagues

Game #4-April 5, 2013

The Cubs lost their third game in a row to the Atlanta Braves tonight at Turner Field. Braves third baseman Juan Francisco hit two homeruns off new Cubs starter Carlos Villanueva as Mike Minor pitched eight innings, striking out seven and not walking any hitters en route to a 5-2 victory.
Attached Images
Old 01-27-2014, 12:52 AM   #8
abefrohman
Major Leagues

Game #5-April 6, 2013

For the second consecutive start, Jeff "Shark" Samardzija struggled, giving up eight earned runs in 2 2/3 innings. The Braves scored 10 runs in the third inning, highlighted by Juan Francisco's grand slam. Not much else to write about this one. It was that kind of day where a guy like Francisco doesn't get "Player Of The Game". That honor went to Dan Uggla who went 3-5 with a homerun and three RBIs.
Attached Images
Old 01-27-2014, 01:00 AM   #9
abefrohman
Major Leagues

Game #6-April 7, 2013

FINALLY! The Cubs ended their four-game losing streak today with a fine pitching performance from starter Travis Wood who pitched seven innings and closer Carlos Marmol picked up his first save of the season. New outfielder Scott Hairston was the "Player Of The Game" going 3 for 5 with 3 RBIs including a double to raise his average to .438 for the season.
Attached Images
Old 01-27-2014, 01:10 AM   #10
abefrohman
Major Leagues

Game #7-April 8, 2013

Can I just say how much I LOVE Opening Day at home? Especially when we win the game! We got a very good pitching performance from Scott Feldman who pitched 6 2/3 innings, striking out four, walking none and only giving up one earned run in his Wrigley Field debut as a Cubs pitcher. As for new Chicago infielder Brent Lillibridge, he went 3 for 4 with two homeruns and four RBIs.
Attached Images
Old 01-27-2014, 01:21 AM   #11
abefrohman
Major Leagues

Game #8-April 9, 2013

Cubs starter Casey Coleman, just called up from AAA Iowa, pitched a heck of a game tonight, going 7 1/3 innings, striking out 7, walking none and giving up only one earned run. Unfortunately, the Brewers came back to tie it 4-4 in the 8th. That was until the bottom of the 9th when Scott Hairston was the hero again when he hit a solo shot off Brewers closer Mike Gonzalez to give Chicago a 5-4 victory as they go for a series sweep tomorrow.
Attached Images
Old 01-27-2014, 01:28 AM   #12
abefrohman
Major Leagues

Game #9-April 10, 2013

The Cubs couldn't get the sweep of the Brewers as Milwaukee starter Kyle Lohse pitched 8 2/3 innings, giving up two earned runs as he struck out three and walked one.
Attached Images

Last edited by abefrohman; 01-27-2014 at 09:45 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:35 PM   #13
Doc_Brown
All Star Starter

Interesting read. Good luck with the Cubs!

PS Your user name based on a minor,minor character from a 1986 John Hughes movie set in Chicago?

Last edited by Doc_Brown; 01-29-2014 at 11:29 AM.
Doc_Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:16 PM   #14
abefrohman
Major Leagues

Game #10-April 11, 2013

The Cubs got to the .500 mark for the first time all season as they defeated the Giants 10-4. Scott Hairston continued his torrid start for Chicago, going 4 for 5 with two homeruns and four RBIs to raise his batting average to .481
Attached Images
Old 01-27-2014, 09:25 PM   #15
abefrohman
Major Leagues

Game #11-April 12, 2013

Travis Wood got shelled in this one, giving up five earned runs and not making it out of the first inning. Chicago center fielder David DeJesus also suffered a minor injury with an intercostal strain. He is expected to miss a week.
Attached Images

Last edited by abefrohman; 01-27-2014 at 09:28 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:44 PM   #16
abefrohman
Major Leagues

Jamie Moyer returns to Cubs

April 13, 2013

Jamie Moyer last pitched in a Chicago Cubs uniform on October 2, 1988 against the Pittsburgh Pirates at Wrigley Field on the final day of the regular season. Today he returns to the Cubs organization as he signed a 1-year deal worth $1.8 million. To make room for him on the roster, starting pitcher Casey Coleman was sent back down to AAA Iowa.
Attached Images
Old 01-27-2014, 10:18 PM   #17
abefrohman
Major Leagues

Game #12-April 13, 2013

The Giants edged the Cubs 6-5 in a game which featured a 2 for 4 day from Chicago third baseman Luis Valbuena who hit a solo homerun, his first of the year.
Attached Images
Old 01-27-2014, 10:39 PM   #18
abefrohman
Major Leagues

Game 13-April 14, 2013

Maybe 13 isn't such a lucky number after all. The Cubs not only lost their third consecutive game in a row, but starting pitcher Jamie Moyer for three months with a hamstring strain. Chicago called up starting pitcher Casey Coleman from AAA Iowa to fill Moyer's spot in the rotation. They have tomorrow off before facing Texas at home on Tuesday the 16th.
Attached Images
Old 01-28-2014, 09:57 AM   #19
abefrohman
Major Leagues

Game 14-April 16, 2013

Before the game, the Cubs called up 2B Darwin Barney from AAA Iowa who was on a rehab assignment and sent down C Steven Clevenger. The Rangers got off to a quick start, leading 3-0 after 5 innings until Anthony Rizzo continued his hot streak with a 2-run homerun, his fourth of the season, but it wasn't enough as Texas edged Chicago 3-2.

On a side note: former Cubs pitcher Carlos Zambrano, now with the Seattle Mariners, pitched a no-hitter tonight at Safeco Field against the Detroit Tigers. It is his second career no-hitter and first since 2008 which he accomplished as a Cub versus the Houston Astros at Miller Park.
Attached Images
Old 01-28-2014, 10:08 AM   #20
abefrohman
Major Leagues

Game 15-April 17, 2013

New Cubs catcher Dioner Navarro should receive more playing time now with Steven Clevenger going down to AAA Iowa and he made the most of it tonight by going 1 for 3 with a three-run homer off Rangers starter Yu Darvish. But it was pinch-hitter Nate Schierholtz's RBI double in the bottom of the seventh inning off Darvish which gave Chicago the lead and the win to split the series with Texas.
Attached Images