Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

View Poll Results: Which does the better job of putting you in the manager's chair?, which has the better all around AI
OOTP 14 67 54.47%
Football Manager 2013 56 45.53%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-16-2013, 11:13 AM   #101
Rizzo
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by js1519 View Post
This is why, at the end of the day, OOTP is always my favorite for this reason. There's no huge team, it's a labor of love. You guys do awesome work
You have to truly appreciate a great product when you realize that the entire staff can probably be counted on just two hands. Big props to Markus and the crew for putting together an amazing product and continuously giving the people what they want. My first sim gaming experience was from Wolverine Studios. i love their games, but the community communication between Gary and the public is non-existent. I come over here and the staff is constantly out here talking to their customers about what needs to be fixed. I love it!
Rizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:17 AM   #102
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
FM is awesome, and the people who work on it are awesome too. I know most of the guys (since I've worked with SI from 2004 through 2006, for those who do not know) and they have incredible skills & knowledge.

Here is the difference between OOTP and FM:

FM simulates Soccer, which is incredibly popular in Europe and other parts of the world. And simulation/management games are incredibly popular in Europe and have a rich & long history. The result: FM ships over a million copies per year.

OOTP simulates Baseball, which is incredibly popular in North America, parts of South/Middle America and some Asian countries. Simulation/Management games in these regions are about as popular as Curling action games. The result: OOTP sells a tiny fraction of the volume FM does.

That's why SI employs (my estimate) 50+ people, and we only employ a handful. Enough said.
NOT enough said. Despite that disparity, you put out a game that is just as good and that is much better in many aspects. That's a Hell of an achievement. Well done, Markus, and be proud; your handful is as just as good as their horde.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:24 PM   #103
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
NOT enough said. Despite that disparity, you put out a game that is just as good and that is much better in many aspects. That's a Hell of an achievement. Well done, Markus, and be proud; your handful is as just as good as their horde.
And I say that as a huge fan of FM.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:58 PM   #104
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

There is no doubt OOTP is an incredible simulation. The fact it is mentioned with and compared to FM on a consistent basis tells you all you need to know. I don't even compare it with other baseball simulations such as Baseball Mogul or PureSim because I don't think those games are even worthy of discussion when compared to the likes of OOTP and FM. (as far as sports simulations go) Front Office Football no longer cuts the mustard for me, and neither does many of the other basketball simulations out there. FHM is in it's infancy, so we will have to see what becomes of it. So to me, it all comes down to two great sports management simulations...I did know that Markus had worked at SI for a period of time, and really had hoped that relationship could have lasted. I think it was that relationship that's responsible for the version of OOTP we have today, as opposed to the way it was back in version 6.5 and before. It was a tough start for Markus in 2006 when the first SI version of OOTP came out (and bot do I remember the complaining...and believe it or not I wasn't one of those voices then) , but without that first step, it would not have evolved as it has. I believe SI had such a profound influence on Markus' programming, (and correct me if I am wrong) that the merger of SI and OOTP is why OOTP is so great today. For those of you who always say Markus doesn't need to copy what FM does, you should realize it already has in many ways...and that is a good thing.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:01 PM   #105
D-BacksJosh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasberger View Post
Well, it is the OOTP forums. If you ran this poll on the FM forums, you'd get 98% votes for FM.
Exactly as I mentioned earlier in this thread. So what is the point of posting this poll?

Quote:

Here is the difference between OOTP and FM:

FM simulates Soccer...
Which is one of the reasons OOTP is number 1 in my book. Maybe I am in the minority but I like to play games with subject matter that I am interested in, and soccer is just plain boring. I'd rather watch paint dry.
D-BacksJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:04 PM   #106
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
I did know that Markus had worked at SI for a period of time, and really had hoped that relationship could have lasted.
Oh, I wish it would have lasted too, we worked together very well. The reason for the split was that SI/SEGA couldn't sell more copies than we already did on our own, and in the end that was not nearly enough for SEGA to further invest in the project. So, both parties agreed to split up so we could do the whole thing on our own again
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:10 PM   #107
D-BacksJosh
Banned

Quote:
Oh, I wish it would have lasted too, we worked together very well. The reason for the split was that SI/SEGA couldn't sell more copies than we already did on our own, and in the end that was not nearly enough for SEGA to further invest in the project. So, both parties agreed to split up so we could do the whole thing on our own again
One of the best forms of marketing is word of mouth, and rest assured I am one of your customers that lets everyone (that has the slightest interest in baseball) know about OOTP.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:06 PM   #108
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-BacksJosh View Post
soccer is just plain boring. I'd rather watch paint dry.
Then, no offense, you just don't understand it. People say the same thing to me about baseball, and can't understand why I'm fascinated with every pitch.

Once you truly understand either one, however, they become fascinating.

Old 10-16-2013, 02:13 PM   #109
D-BacksJosh
Banned

Quote:
Then, no offense, you just don't understand it. People say the same thing to me about baseball, and can't understand why I'm fascinated with every pitch.

Once you truly understand either one, however, they become fascinating.
No offense taken. You are completely correct. I've tried FM several times and it is an excellent management sim at its core, but I can't get into soccer. Not that I am unable to understand it, I just have no desire to. This doesn't mean that it isn't a fantastic sport in its own right. To each his own.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:27 PM   #110
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-BacksJosh View Post
No offense taken. You are completely correct. I've tried FM several times and it is an excellent management sim at its core, but I can't get into soccer. Not that I am unable to understand it, I just have no desire to. This doesn't mean that it isn't a fantastic sport in its own right. To each his own.
Exactly. To each his own. It's your life, live it your way.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:05 PM   #111
Giants44
Hall Of Famer

been with OOTP since v1 and have only recently started playing FM

Also I have played and coached baseball all my life.

only recently came around to soccer at all (largely because of FM)

so for all of those reasons I chose OOTP - just a spectacular game that I have played non-stop for over 10 years.

having said that I am blown away with how great FM is. according to Steam I have played the 2 versions I own over 1000 hours! and I started not knowing ANYTHING about soccer. I basically knew Pele, Beckham, Landon Donovan and well that is it. Since then I have read several books (to be fair the Nick Horby Fever Pitch book which is much better then either movie is really when I started to give soccer a fair look) and now routinely watch Arsenal games whenever I can. Soccer is still very clearly my 5th sport after the big 4 - but I have played FAR more FM this year than any other game other then OOTP.

If you have never played, it really is worth a look

"Judge a man not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character"
-Martin Luther King

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
-Einstein

"The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."
-Muhammad Ali

"Baseball statistics are like a girl in a bikini. They show a lot, but not everything."
-Toby Harrah
Giants44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:31 PM   #112
MarinerGB
Bat Boy

I only got into baseball last year after watching a live game, been into football/soccer since I was a child. I learnt everything about baseball online and you can do the same for FM.

I recommend Football Manager 2014 Tactics, Wonderkids & Cheats for a nice friendly forum with some great tactics.

Any general questions about the Beautiful game, I'm happy to answer them...oh and if you need an British team to support go with Sheffield United - the first 'United'!
Old 10-16-2013, 04:33 PM   #113
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

It is definitely worth a look. I can't recommend it highly enough. The immersion factor is unbelievable.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:39 PM   #114
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

OOTP vs. FM Revisited

I am just happy to have these games available. FM, OOTP Baseball and TEW are definitely the cream of the crop.
SirMichaelJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:51 PM   #115
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

BTW- for what it is worth, the FM14 Beta is released.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:54 PM   #116
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
BTW- for what it is worth, the FM14 Beta is released.
And you can prepurchase FM 14 on Steam right now.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:38 PM   #117
Silent_Thunder
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
And you can prepurchase FM 14 on Steam right now.
Greenman Gaming has it a bit cheaper IIRC (Although that may be a case of how they convert european currencies, since the forum posts watching for prices were quoting in Pounds Sterling, and I knew Steam doesn't do currency conversion well at all) , and you may be actually supporting SI a bit more that way, I heard Steam takes a fairly decent chunk of the price for themselves compared to other retailers. But hey, you can't argue with the kind of market exposure Steam gives you. Plus the whole steamworks API doing wonders for MP gaming. (How many of the early 2000s shooters for instance that are on steamworks would still be running if they used proprietary hosting? Not many, that's for damn sure.)

Thats the advantage of digital goods I guess. There's no "cost" per unit the way there is with boxed copies of games, so selling 30 for $10 is just as good as selling 5 for $60. Where with a boxed copy the transport and stocking costs would destroy that strategy. The servers hosting it cost the same to maintain no matter how many units are moved. Dont have to load another 30 copies onto the server from the warehouse :P

Wow I got off track there, oh well..

Last edited by Silent_Thunder; 10-16-2013 at 09:40 PM.
Silent_Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:44 PM   #118
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Why I love Steam for gaming:

No CD's to find or keys to keep track of

My games are available on whatever computer I happen to be on

Games always work on my system

No fees

Discounted games on sale directly from Steam

Superdiscounted Steam game bundles from Humble Bumble

Free to play games

Multiplayer support

Community features (forums, etc.)

Workshops for game mods

Voice chat

Text chat

Friends lists

Trophies

Ability to download multiple times (handy if your hard drive fails)

Old 10-16-2013, 11:18 PM   #119
Rizzo
Minors (Triple A)

OOTP vs. FM Revisited

Quote:
Why I love Steam for gaming:
That list could go on forever. So glad I got into PC gaming about two years ago and never looked back. I'm about to cancel my Xbox Live subscription because I never use it any more.
Rizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:17 AM   #120
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
That list could go on forever. So glad I got into PC gaming about two years ago and never looked back. I'm about to cancel my Xbox Live subscription because I never use it any more.
One of my friends plays Skyrim on a PS3 and a big screen TV. I play it on Steam on my Win 8 i7 laptop PC (with a dedicated graphics card). He came over and was floored by how much better the graphics were on my laptop. When I showed all the mods I had added to the game from Nexus and from the Steam Workshop and how much better and more visually appealing they made the game, he suddenly decided to buy a PC.