Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Front Office Football > FOF - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

FOF - General Discussions Discuss the upcoming Front Office Football by OOTP Developments here.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:59 AM   #601
Francis Cole
Lead Developer for BTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by james17 View Post
And what if you have a custom league that isn't 32 teams??
It will generate a schedule suitable to whatever combination of teams your custom league has
Old 12-15-2014, 11:37 AM   #602
Al Davis
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Cole View Post
I didn't promise a release date!
i just thought you may fall for my devious little trick there LOL
Old 12-16-2014, 10:59 AM   #603
ruckuz
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Davis View Post
i just thought you may fall for my devious little trick there LOL
lol
I think its best to let devs not stress about release dates, especially for V1 since its going to set the buidling blocks for other versions. Wouldnt want to rush V1 only to find out a later feature can't be added in V2 cause V1 wasn't properly built for it
Old 12-16-2014, 07:20 PM   #604
james17
All Star Starter

Quote:
It will generate a schedule suitable to whatever combination of teams your custom league has
Wow! That's great news.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:59 AM   #605
beezer2434
Minors (Triple A)

Will their be an option to do stats only with no ratings?
Old 12-27-2014, 08:56 PM   #606
MajorSupreme
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Everything sounds fantastic thus far, a guaranteed day one purchase. After reading through this thread, I have a couple of questions:

1. Regarding the health scan, does it reflect a player's history with an injury? Say, I sign Chad Pennington, will the scan tell me he is prone to having shoulder injuries on his throwing arm? And will that lingering effect affect his throwing ratings?

2. Now, I believe it was mentioned that there will be no historical seasons at V1. Totally cool. And it was also mentioned that histories and stats of multiple players will be able to be viewed as of the past decade. That means I could not start at 2010 and go on, right? I know there are some disagreements in what is considered "historical" and what is more recent. Just want to clarify that the game starts in the current year.

3. It may be too early to assess, and maybe it would be more of a V2+ idea, but how does the AI comprehend poor play and subsequent benchings of its players? For example, if an AI controlled team had an under-performing QB, would it be "smart" enough to start the other QB if they were close in rating? One of the (very) few things I like about FOF7 is the "Starting Quarterback Setting" that is a 1-9 value of how likely the starter is to be subbed out, 1 being the highest chance of being benched and 9 being your Brady/Manning QBs. Is there anything like that in this game? Or an idea for this in the future? Thank you for being awesome and answering everyone's questions. I can see myself and other dedicating hours, days, months, and years into this game.
Old 12-28-2014, 03:43 AM   #607
Francis Cole
Lead Developer for BTS

Quote:
1. Regarding the health scan, does it reflect a player's history with an injury? Say, I sign Chad Pennington, will the scan tell me he is prone to having shoulder injuries on his throwing arm? And will that lingering effect affect his throwing ratings?
It will list all the injuries that he had, and tell you that his shoulder is broken and you should consider him a major health risk.

Quote:
Now, I believe it was mentioned that there will be no historical seasons at V1. Totally cool. And it was also mentioned that histories and stats of multiple players will be able to be viewed as of the past decade.
Correct, you can not start in 2010, but you can view what happened in 2010 (e.g. what transactions happened in 2010, what stats players got etc).

Quote:
It will do its best, though as you say something like this will be refined all the time as we progress
Old 12-29-2014, 08:55 AM   #608
Al Davis
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Well I was hoping for a bit more than a look at the logo, oh well i'll go play something else and wait patiently. Happy christmas
Old 12-31-2014, 11:13 PM   #609
BradG223
Minors (Double A)

Apologies if this has been answered previously, will home field be a factor in v1?
Old 01-01-2015, 12:33 AM   #610
SFG
Minors (Single A)

Read all 30+ pages and looking forward to this. Always enjoyed FM and OOTP, but American football is my favorite sport. My questions:

1. You said coaches, at least defensive coaches will have a 3-4 or 4-3 preference as listed on their profile? For offensive coaches, will they have a preference for West Coast, Coryell, Erhardt-Perkins, etc. possibly for V2 (introduction of new playbooks)?

2. Handling the media is big for a coach and to a lesser extent, the GM. I assume that's not in V1? It's a big part of Football Manager, of course, and influences team morale. Like your QB had a crappy game and the media guy asks you a question about it. And then it gives you options like:

a) "He made some plays, but Cincinnati is just a good team."
b) "We just need to play better as a team."
c) "I think the whole offense can take fault for that display."
d) "He made some poor throws and needs to play better if we expect to win football games."
e) "No comment."

If you say a), you might maintain a good relationship with the QB, but becomes complacent and doesn't improve his play. Kind of like if you do too much ass-kissing in FM. Sometimes they **** the bed against inferior competition.

If you say b), you might lower the morale of the team a bit overall, but they're more motivated to play well.

For c), you might lower the morale of the offense only (and to a greater extent than b), but motivate them around the same level as in b).

For d), you'll really irritate the QB for throwing him under the bus for the loss to the media, and your relationship with him will worsen. Morale of the other players stays the same.

Etc. etc.

Maybe another V2 idea I suppose. You might have insight in how to code it because you worked for Sports Interactive in the past if I read correctly.

3. Will player personalities factor into draft assessment (i.e., how valued they are as a prospect)? For example, Randy Moss and Dez Bryant were top-notch prospect, top-5 or top-10 at worst, yet fell because of character concerns. Just wonder if players could fall similarly in the draft? On the upside, you get a highly talented player. But on the downside, you could have a cancer who gets a lot of penalties for dirty play, is a suspension risk, lowers team morale, may demand a trade, etc.

4. Will player morale be included, as in OOTP?

5. Will draft-day trades be possible, as in you'll receive trade offers from teams wishing to trade up -- or announcing their pick to be available? Or do we have to initiate them?

Will these trades make sense based on a trade value chart or on positional need -- like a team may be resistant to give up its pick if it has a crummy D-line and there are good DE and DT prospects available?

Example of a trade value chart: Draft Countdown - Trade Value Chart

Sometimes the AI may accept less than "fair value" for a pick if it doesn't like the prospects available or demand more than fair value if it really likes the player(s) that could fall to them?

6. Will draft picks make sense? Like the 49ers don't need to draft an ILB in the first round given they have two All-Pros starting there already and a very good back-up. Likewise, it wouldn't make much sense for Green Bay to draft a QB in the first round with Rodgers sure to be capable of holding down the position for the next eight years or so.

That's really the main detriment of other GM football games I've played. It's easy to get an advantage over the AI because their drafting decisions are stupid and end up drafting three QB's in a row in the first round. Also, in one game I played there weren't even any QB's available in the draft past pick #40 because the game engine placed such a high value on QB's that teams took them early even if they had 55/100 potential. It should be a more even distribution where the 80's/100 QB's get taken in the first round whereas it's still possible to maybe get a 65/100 guy in the later rounds.

And in this same game (Football Mogul), no receivers were even taken until the mid-second round, which made no sense. You could get starting-quality receivers in the late rounds every year but couldn't even draft a half-ass center past the third round. And no trading of draft picks were available. I had to make my own trades based on whatever made sense.

And hopefully some statistical variability exists such that 5th-rounders can actually turn into really good starters every now and then.

7. Will there be a mock draft before the draft takes place. Or at least "projected round" given in the player's profile, as given by your scouts?

8. Speaking of scouts, will they exist in V1? Perhaps just a scouting director, whose quality is rated by ability to scout positions? For instance, you could have scout rankings out of 100 as so:

Scouting quality:

QB: 71
RB: 65
FB: 81
WR: 44
OT: 76
OG/C: 79

DE: 62
DT: 65
OLB: 85
ILB: 87
CB: 59
FS/SS: 60

K: 42
P: 37

So you could think, hey this dude can scout the hell out of LB's, but he won't be able to find me many good WR's, defensive backs, RB's, d-linemen... So maybe you would want to hire somebody else. Like for me, my biggest need would be having a good QB, so I'd like a guy who could give me an advantage in the market of scouting good value on QB's. For people who like building strong O-lines/D-lines, they might want to look for a guy who has at least 70 rankings on this.

Of course, most of the good scouts would already be on NFL teams, so maybe you could take advantage when their contracts run out and offer them more money than anybody else.

Or you could go with the lexical designations like OOTP:

QB: Good
RB: Decent
FB: Excellent

And so on.

But I think just a scouting director like OOTP would be fine. I don't want to micromanage 20 scouts. I don't even like hiring coaches in OOTP because it's boring so I just let the AI do it for me.

9. When trading for draft picks during the year, will the AI recognize the value of its picks based on their projected record? For instance, in OOTP I can take advantage of the AI by trading a really good but not top-notch player to a really crappy team for the #1 or #2 picks in the draft. Because I think it views all draft picks the same based on round. Like each first-round pick is worth the same value when that simply isn't the case.

Of course, a #1 picks has far, far more value than the #30 pick (3,000 points versus 620 based on the chart I linked above) and should be considered. So if I'm making a trade to a 2-14 team (or one that projects to be that bad) they should be extremely resistant to giving up their first-rounder, whereas if it's a 12-4 team, they'd be more willing.

10. Will coaches be rated similar as they are in OOTP? Handle veterans, handle rookies, handle players, offense rating, defense rating, scheme preference, etc.

11. Maybe game graphics could be similar to ESPN GameCast at first? Just text based with a graphical representation of a field above. Would be cool to get Madden-like 3D graphics eventually. But I realize that might be something for like 2025 and would require a lot more staff members to come on board.

12. I'm fine with the only coaches being HC/DC/OC. Like scouts, I don't like to micromanage a bunch of lower tier coaches. It should be included eventually for realism's sake, but with the option to have your HC make the hires for you?

13. You'll be able to fire the coach, right? I know a lot of people will coach every game anyway.

14. Like a poster above me said, will home-field advantage be worked into the game somehow? OOTP seems to have it worked out well and fine tuned to perfection. I always perform slightly worse on the road than at home and matches up well with what happens in real life. Home field is hugely important in football, of course. So maybe stats get auto diminished or auto increased for road players and home players, respectively. Just a bit to make it realistic.

15. Will we be able to adjust the financials of the game, like TV contracts, ticket prices, average merchandise sales, etc.? And maybe edit our stadiums.

16. Saw this mentioned before, but weather effects should be included but is low priority. Like higher kicking accuracy in domes, versus in outdoor cold-weather stadiums in December/January.

17. Will the cap be adjustable? I figure it wouldn't be too hard to set and based on the CBA of players getting a certain % of league revenue? But we could adjust it manually, or set it to 0 to disable it? It doesn't seem like it'd be too difficult to implement. I prefer to set the cap to 0 just because the AI isn't very good at negotiating contracts and doesn't have very good ability to do re-negotiations, when to cut players, hands out too much money, etc. It makes the game too easy if I'm able to make the salaries fit into the cap like a glove whereas the AI is incompetent. So I just get around it by setting it to 0 and holding myself financially accountable.

Last edited by SFG; 01-01-2015 at 12:43 AM.
Old 01-01-2015, 12:44 AM   #611
SFG
Minors (Single A)

You should be able to use normal team nicknames for this game. I don't think there's any copyright infringement. Just need to have different logos due to the lack of an NFL license. Other GM games have the real names of the teams.
Old 01-01-2015, 12:47 AM   #612
SFG
Minors (Single A)

And I'm surprised there's so much interest in FaceGen. I always turn it off because it merely delays the ability for player pages to load. They're just cartoons anyway. But I can see why some might want to have a face attached to a name even if it's just some animated depiction. But to me it doesn't affect gameplay and I'm not big into cosmetic things at all, so I don't care much for it.
Old 01-01-2015, 12:59 AM   #613
SFG
Minors (Single A)

And do you have a full list of the attributes that will be used in the game? Are they pretty basic, like "run stuffing," "pass rush," "coverage ability," "turnovers" (ability to force fumbles or make interceptions), or are they a bit more advanced, with stuff like speed, agility, etc. thrown in and not just the overarching technical skills, like the ability to get sacks?

Will there be a kick returning and a punt returning attribute?
Old 01-01-2015, 03:52 AM   #614
Francis Cole
Lead Developer for BTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFG View Post
1. You said coaches, at least defensive coaches will have a 3-4 or 4-3 preference as listed on their profile? For offensive coaches, will they have a preference for West Coast, Coryell, Erhardt-Perkins, etc. possibly for V2 (introduction of new playbooks)?
For V1 as we don't have different playbooks they will just have basic preferences on this profile, like how much they prefer to run vs pass etc.

Quote:

2. Handling the media is big for a coach and to a lesser extent, the GM. I assume that's not in V1?
Correct.

Quote:
3. Will player personalities factor into draft assessment (i.e., how valued they are as a prospect)? For example, Randy Moss and Dez Bryant were top-notch prospect, top-5 or top-10 at worst, yet fell because of character concerns.
Yes there is an off-the-field section you should take notice of when drafting/signing a player.

Quote:
4. Will player morale be included, as in OOTP?
Unfortunately not for V1.

Quote:
5. Will draft-day trades be possible, as in you'll receive trade offers from teams wishing to trade up
TBD, but I hope so.

Quote:
6. Will draft picks make sense?
That's the idea!

Quote:
7. Will there be a mock draft before the draft takes place. Or at least "projected round" given in the player's profile, as given by your scouts?
There's your teams draft board, and the media's draft board, so you can see who is seen as the best QB etc.

Quote:
8. Speaking of scouts, will they exist in V1?
Yes, there is a pro scout director and a college scout director.

Quote:
9. When trading for draft picks during the year, will the AI recognize the value of its picks based on their projected record?
Yes.

Quote:
10. Will coaches be rated similar as they are in OOTP? Handle veterans, handle rookies, handle players, offense rating, defense rating, scheme preference, etc.

There are coaches in BTS, they do have a huge influence on everything, however they don't have handle veterans, handle rookies etc.

Quote:
11. Maybe game graphics could be similar to ESPN GameCast at first? Just text based with a graphical representation of a field above. Would be cool to get Madden-like 3D graphics eventually. But I realize that might be something for like 2025 and would require a lot more staff members to come on board.
No to Madden Graphics unfortunately!

Quote:
12. I'm fine with the only coaches being HC/DC/OC. Like scouts, I don't like to micromanage a bunch of lower tier coaches. It should be included eventually for realism's sake, but with the option to have your HC make the hires for you?
There are positional coaches, so it goes far deeper than HC/OC/DC, but you can ask other staff to hire/fire if you want.

Quote:
13. You'll be able to fire the coach, right? I know a lot of people will coach every game anyway.
You can fire any coach if you want. But even if you call the plays for every single game you still would need coaches, who develop your players and prepare them for the game.

Quote:
14. Like a poster above me said, will home-field advantage be worked into the game somehow?
Not for V1.

Quote:
15. Will we be able to adjust the financials of the game, like TV contracts, ticket prices, average merchandise sales, etc.? And maybe edit our stadiums.
Not for V1.

Quote:
16. Saw this mentioned before, but weather effects should be included but is low priority. Like higher kicking accuracy in domes, versus in outdoor cold-weather stadiums in December/January.
Not or V1.

Quote:
17. Will the cap be adjustable?
No, however just like in real life every team will have a different cap number depending on their management of the cap from previous years.

Thanks,
Francis
Old 01-01-2015, 03:54 AM   #615
Francis Cole
Lead Developer for BTS

Quote:
You should be able to use normal team nicknames for this game. I don't think there's any copyright infringement. Just need to have different logos due to the lack of an NFL license. Other GM games have the real names of the teams.
Nicknames are copyrighted as far as we are aware, so for the (real) teams we don't have any.
Old 01-01-2015, 03:57 AM   #616
Francis Cole
Lead Developer for BTS

Quote:
And do you have a full list of the attributes that will be used in the game? Are they pretty basic, like "run stuffing," "pass rush," "coverage ability," "turnovers" (ability to force fumbles or make interceptions), or are they a bit more advanced, with stuff like speed, agility, etc. thrown in and not just the overarching technical skills, like the ability to get sacks?

Will there be a kick returning and a punt returning attribute?
I won't go through every one, but there is Run Def, Pass Rush, Coverage (M2M & Zone), there's not a specific turnovers one, there is speed + agility, There is KR and PR.

Last edited by Francis Cole; 01-01-2015 at 02:32 PM.
Old 01-01-2015, 02:22 PM   #617
baseballonly
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Nicknames are copyrighted as far as we are aware, so for the (real) teams we don't have any.
Can you at least do the little "randomize nicknames" trick like in OOTP? I mean, what am I talking about?
Old 01-02-2015, 02:18 AM   #618
SFG
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Oh, wow. I thought calling teams by their actual names was okay, just that you couldn't use their genuine logos without an NFL license. It would just take ten minutes of editing anyway if we wanted to change them to the real ones, so that's no biggie.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:25 AM   #619
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Will it be an easy process if I wanted to move complete real NFL teams to a fictional league? I don't mind it if I have too move each player manually(like FHM).

I would then replace the team(s) that left the NFL for a fictional league with fictional teams. Example -Minnesota (NFL) replaced by Minnesota Muskies.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:30 AM   #620
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Is Cardinals copyrighted? Afterall when they were in St . Louis they also were known as the Cardinals when the St. Louis (MLB) Cardinals already existed.

The BC Lions(CFL) are using the Detroit Lions nickname. How is that possible?

Winnipeg Jets(NHL) are using New York Jets nickname.

San Francisco Giants(MLB) are using the New York (NFL) Giants nickname.

Edmonton Oilers are using the Tennessee/Houston Oilers nickname(if that name is still owned by the NFL).

Many US College teams are known as the Eagles and Rams.

Last edited by Orioles1966; 01-02-2015 at 06:43 AM.