Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - New to the Game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 20 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 04-05-2019, 05:10 PM   #1
Six String Guild
Bat Boy

Several Questions Probably All Newbies Have

Hi everyone: I'm very new to this game and while I'm making babysteps to getting things going, I feel like it's prepping a 747 for take-off. Here are some of my questions that if answered (or have a link to the answer), my life w/ this game will be easier and I imagine will help out a ton of new players.
Questions:
UPDATE: Questions colored in green have been answered by other posts and I have updated it w/ the link.
1. How do you select a team (or even teams) to manage, leaving the rest for the AI to do?
2. How do you push your draft date back? The issue: I'm manually adding a TON of players to the draft pool and this will take me forever. I tried this before and at some point between times playing the game (returning to the OOTP game after days away), the draft was held with an incomplete pool so I had to start over. I don't want the draft to run until I tell it to run. Am I missing a configuration of some sort?

3. How do you import real historical/current stadiums? I'm assuming someone already created these. I've noticed many stadiums are generic, such as Guaranteed Rate Field and Expos Stadium to name a few. I'd love to use the Polo Grounds or some other stadiums from past that had character if I could. ANSWER: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...d.php?t=287547

4. How do I configure the players in my league so that the stats they generate in game come closest to their real-world output? I believe I saw a suggestion for this somewhere but I can't find it. For example, my league is based on 2019. I do not want Hank Aaron to play like a normal player in 2019 (swinging for fences and K-ing a lot). I want classic Hank Aaron.
5. Once I have my list of FAs/draftees imported, how do I back up this list in the event I need to run another draft?

Ultimately, I'm creating a league of 40 teams (all 30 current, the Expos and then according to pundits, the next cities to receive expansion teams. I'm pulling the best (and maybe not so best) players from 1970 to now and then having a big inaugural fantasy draft. I'm proud of myself because I finally figured out how to manually add historical/current players into the Draft Pool Any assistance to the above would be greatly appreciated. I think this is the baseball game of my dreams but I just got to clear some things up. Thanks.

Last edited by Six String Guild; 04-05-2019 at 07:42 PM.
Six String Guild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 06:00 AM   #2
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

online manual can help a lot.

1) you can make multiple "human" players -- whether coach or gm or both depends on your choices. i think it's under menu at top with league name? that's where "act as" is, and i think you can make a new human player there too.. but i don't recall by rote. look it up in manual.

2) League Settings tab -> options? i believe is the sub tab.. only a few choices, you can find it with trial and error, if not. you can put the draft on any date of the year.

one note on 2, if a class is created and you postpon it a long time, there's a setting that may be relevant if turned on -- players will evolve during that time in some cases. no idea of implications of putting it off ~10months with players already created. may be better to delete that class, then crete a new one before draft... may be a total non-issue too.

4) well you can't have it both ways... either it's 2019 environment or not.

your League Totals and Modifiers (along with dropdown settings on left) in League Settings->Stats and AI control the statistical environment.

the only thing you could do is hand-edit players that are to be a bit different... e.g. increase hank aaron's avoid k's to the point he produces as you want. most likely needs to be elevated a bit in your context, i'd assume -- i'd still let it run and see what happens before blindly stabbing in the dark on this one, though.

if he's already a high avoid k's guy, the top tier will not strike out a ton even in a 30t 1622g 38k league etc. the top guys can be sub-50 consistently... the elevated k's will influence the lesser talents more so than the upper talents.

5) if you are using a txt list of playerID and years, just save the list. if doing it one-by-one in-gam, that's not saveable. at the very least, you can easily re-import that large list of historical players at anytime with any league.

draft list -- export it. however, you cannot 'create' players by importing an exported draft list from another league. if they magically share the same playerID it woudl work, but very unlikely - (not the baseball ref stuff for importing historical players, but actualy numerical ID for this league's player database, which is different every time due to numerous factors.

although, you can make a template of your league once the players are set and adjusted etc... this template will contain all rules/settings/ players etc - a template AFTER creation and loading up league includes the players.. if you make template during creation of leauge, it's sans-players. this is great if you want everything EXACTLY the same as when you make that template -- at least initially... of course you can customize and edit it after that point you use it/restor it etc.

a backup can be used of the league too -- larger than a template. rename it for long-term storage. if you start a new backup, make sure to use 'full backup' option checkbox. otherwise it is an incremental function and if not the very first day before you do anything, you'd likely lose asthetic stuff like box scores, news articles etc.. from before that point in time. 'full backup' is just that... everythign even if redundant it will copy over etc..

40t? more games played? i only ask to point out you that need to adjust expectations if that dynamic changes. the 'rates' and 'ratios' from the Stats and AI settings will scale. you don't have to change the Totals.

in fact, avoid changing League totals and stick to adjusting league modifiers. an autocalculate (button visible before regular season) of the modifiers is likely wise if you have changed any settings. after that if you see results swing too far out, adjust the related modifier.

10% less of a .750 mod would be .750-.075 = .675 (reduce from current value by % you want reduced off the actual results, and not from "1.000"). realize these things are all part of the same whole... so e.g. let's say that's the HR modifier. if you reduce HR Modifiers only, that's going to elevate BABIP. those HR are still hits of some sort, because you didn't reduce Hits Modifier. you know have extra balls in play and it will raise BABIP of league a bit. PLease note, that any adjustments you make are undone anytime you "autocalculate league modifiers". so, keep tabs on your adjustments. re-do them after any auto-calculate.

adjusting totals can be done, but make them jive... do the math.. if you reduce homeruns, then don't leave BABIP untouched (if it makes the meter move at all, small # in this example most likely out of 165k AB). i use a spreadsheet that calculates as i input the basic stuff... i never type in BA, obp, slug, babip etc... those are formulas that keep everyone jiving together, mathematically speaking. if you do that, you need to autocalculate the modifiers -- the benefit of doing it this way is if the totals are what you want, you likely don't need to adjust the modifiers after autocalculating as you do above. if the totals reflect expectations, no adjustments needed.

reduce 2b and you get more hits, 3b and hr etc... increaswe SO and you reduce BA and everything that cascades from there...

all part of the same whole when you adjust those thigns... trial and error will get you where you want, but if you put a moment of thought into it, you can reduce how long it takes to get there.

one other note -- figure out which you care about more -- individual results or league-wide stats. if you care more abou thank aaron or joe blow doing certain things in their careers, i'd suggest ignoring what the totals result as and soley focus on individual results -- maybe you don't want anyone reaching 60hr easily etc... or you want your speed demons to reach 100sb but only getting 50 now...

learn a bit about volatility to make better assumptions/decisions as you go. don't bite off more than you can chew. focus on one aspect you want, get it running smoothly in that one aspect, then move on to next project/aspect you want to hone.

Last edited by NoOne; 04-06-2019 at 06:15 AM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote