Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 09-06-2014, 02:51 AM   #1
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Adrian Beltre has no position rating...

I started a 2014 MLB standard game and now in the 2015 preseason and Adrian Beltre has no position ratings. His Range/Error/Arm ratings are 16/9/15. I also found this in the manual:
Quote:
Note: A player cannot 'lose' positions. Once he has learned a position, he will always have a rating at that position.
What gives?
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 09:05 AM   #2
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyzalot View Post
I started a 2014 MLB standard game and now in the 2015 preseason and Adrian Beltre has no position ratings. His Range/Error/Arm ratings are 16/9/15. I also found this in the manual:

What gives?
Your scout feels thgat he sucks and should retire or DH. Switch to OSA and see what they say. he will still have a rating at 3B but it will be 3 or so (1-10 scale) in the editor.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 11:27 AM   #3
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
Your scout feels thgat he sucks and should retire or DH. Switch to OSA and see what they say. he will still have a rating at 3B but it will be 3 or so (1-10 scale) in the editor.
But my scout still rates his range and arm quite high. I don't get why he wouldn't still be rated at 3rd. I mean he went from GG caliber 3rd base to unable to play 3rd base in one season?
Old 09-06-2014, 11:39 AM   #4
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
But my scout still rates his range and arm quite high. I don't get why he wouldn't still be rated at 3rd. I mean he went from GG caliber 3rd base to unable to play 3rd base in one season?
That shouldn't happen. Did he play third at all during your 2014 season?

Players do unlearn their positions over time, the manual is wrong on that, but it shouldn't happen that quickly, especially for a guy with only one position.
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 11:45 AM   #5
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasberger View Post
That shouldn't happen. Did he play third at all during your 2014 season?

Players do unlearn their positions over time, the manual is wrong on that, but it shouldn't happen that quickly, especially for a guy with only one position.
He was injured a bunch so only played about 40 games at the MLB level as well as playing in spring training and maybe another 15 games at AAA on a rehab assignment before being injured again. I could understand the injuries making it so he couldn't play third if they also severely affected his range or arm ratings, yet this isn't what happened.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:53 AM   #6
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
He was injured a bunch so only played about 40 games at the MLB level as well as playing in spring training and maybe another 15 games at AAA on a rehab assignment before being injured again. I could understand the injuries making it so he couldn't play third if they also severely affected his range or arm ratings, yet this isn't what happened.
Hmm. Maybe he just got caught in an unholy storm of experience hits based on both the aging and injury parts of the dev engine. That's my best guess anyway.

I think OOTP doesn't tend to knock the underlying fielding ratings down for older guys so much as it knocks the experience down. You could maybe argue that's not the best way to do it, and I wouldn't disagree, but I think that what happened here is just the game trying to say that due to the injuries and his age, he's lost too much to play third well anymore.

Perhaps sticking him out at third for a while will see the experience come back quickly. Or he may just be a 1b-dh type guy now, which happens, unfortunately.
Old 09-06-2014, 12:05 PM   #7
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Generally this will be his turn DP rating falling below the threshold of a 3B. So once hits 2/8 (below something like 4/20), the game essentially doesn't assign him a rating at 3B anymore. He can still play there and will likely be better than throwing anyone else with no ratings at the position, but my guess is his DP fell below the threshold.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 12:18 PM   #8
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
Generally this will be his turn DP rating falling below the threshold of a 3B. So once hits 2/8 (below something like 4/20), the game essentially doesn't assign him a rating at 3B anymore. He can still play there and will likely be better than throwing anyone else with no ratings at the position, but my guess is his DP fell below the threshold.
I didn't even realize there was a turn db limit for 3B! Obviously I should've since I work with the rosters That makes sense though since Beltre's is set at 42/250 (just checked the online editor).
Old 09-06-2014, 12:28 PM   #9
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Why would a third baseman need any "turn dp" rating to be a good third baseman? When do they ever need to turn a double play at third? I would think even catchers are involved in turning double plays more often than a third baseman.

Last edited by Dyzalot; 09-06-2014 at 12:30 PM.
Old 09-06-2014, 12:31 PM   #10
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Why would a third baseman need any "turn dp" rating to be a good third baseman? When do they ever need to turn a double play at third? I would think even catchers are involved in turning double plays more often than a third baseman.
Not sure. Third basemen do turn double plays of course, but it's hardly an integral part of being a 3Bman. That might be something that could be changed.
Old 09-06-2014, 12:34 PM   #11
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Rangers turn 5-4-3 double play | MLB.com
Old 09-06-2014, 12:34 PM   #12
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

https://www.ripkenbaseball.com/instr...1ky1eA7dTsxysQ
Old 09-06-2014, 12:38 PM   #13
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGH-Adfabre View Post
The second baseman turned the double play in that example.
Old 09-06-2014, 12:40 PM   #14
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasberger View Post
Not sure. Third basemen do turn double plays of course, but it's hardly an integral part of being a 3Bman. That might be something that could be changed.
When? I have never seen a double play where the third baseman received a throw at third for the first out and then turned the double play. That is a skill you usually only care about for middle infielders although catchers do it as well.
Old 09-06-2014, 12:46 PM   #15
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
When? I have never seen a double play where the third baseman received a throw at third for the first out and then turned the double play. That is a skill you usually only care about for middle infielders although catchers do it as well.
It is not a skill exclusive to middle infielders.
I will not argue whether it is more important but it is not exclusive.
Throwing to 3rd and then first is a bad idea because the ball has to cover more ground.
Tagging 3rd and throwing to first is a 3B DP.
In the first video, if the 3B does not make his throw properly the middle infielder is not going to make the second out on his throw.
I have always seen that as a part of a DP.
Old 09-06-2014, 12:47 PM   #16
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The second baseman turned the double play in that example.
Without the correct throw from 3rd (offline, high, low, etc) the 2nd baseman does not get the 2nd throw off in time.
Old 09-06-2014, 12:48 PM   #17
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
I mean it could be changed in game so that the turn dp rating doesn't matter at all for a 3B.
Old 09-06-2014, 12:55 PM   #18
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

"Turning" a double play has always, traditionally referred to a middle infielder's ability to receive a throw at second and then make a good throw to first. No one has ever referred to a third baseman or first baseman as good at "turning a double play" because all they do is start double plays which is the same skill as making a throw to a base. I don't think I have ever heard anyone in baseball talk about the ability of a third baseman or first baseman to "turn" a double play. Stepping on a base and then throwing to another base also isn't really "turning" a double play since it doesn't involve the need to receive a throw and then transition to making a throw. It makes no sense that a third baseman would go from one of the top defensive guys at the position to basically unrated at the position just because he isn't good at that skill. Starting a double play has nothing to do with the skill of turning a double play.

Quote:
Without the correct throw from 3rd (offline, high, low, etc) the 2nd baseman does not get the 2nd throw off in time.
That skill should be incorporated in his "arm" skill since I assume that is both strength and accuracy.

Last edited by Dyzalot; 09-06-2014 at 12:57 PM.
Old 09-06-2014, 01:02 PM   #19
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

We disagree, that's cool.
Old 09-06-2014, 01:07 PM   #20
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGH-Adfabre View Post
We disagree, that's cool.
You also disagree with every MLB scout and google.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...+a+double+play