Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 05-01-2014, 08:44 AM   #21
munstermash
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsh06 View Post

Im loving my current game though thanks to NYY23 for the idea. Its a short game season. Its started with the majors being similar to the NFL and I now have expanded to 48 college teams, 3 indy leagues, the Caribbean/Gulf league and Caribbean /Gulf junior league. They all play 10-16 games except college which has 15 two game series. I like it for how your starter becomes like the quarterback of the team. And its always interesting seeing that big college player get picked first overall and seeing how he does in the majors. Very entertaining league.
That is a pretty cool idea. I have always enjoyed playing with smaller rosters and fewer games per week but never thought of dropping it to one game a week.

How big of rosters do you use?
munstermash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:37 AM   #22
donut4free
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysdailydose View Post
I can do this, for sure... League Prestige being in there is a big help to stuff like this.

I actually posted a thread in the quickstart mods forums, I'm definitely going to do a few... I actually just began work on a British Baseball Federation.

That would be great if you could get it to work. I will check out the quickstart forums. The World League was a 10 for prestige, but i don't think i changed the other leagues. All the other leagues were parented by the World League. Not sure if that had anything to do with the issues.
donut4free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:13 AM   #23
edtheguy
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakDragon View Post
I don't think a league with mandatory retirement after one season would be any fun.
GM1: Wait, you're saying we can have this Lannister guy, who won the leagues outstanding hitter award last year for cheap? What's the catch? It's not another Stark trade is it? I really got a lot of crap for that one...

GM2 No, really, this guys still alive. I promise...

In other news this years awards ceremony will be held at The Twins, hosted by Team Frey...
edtheguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:23 AM   #24
Carlton
Hall Of Famer

Since this game has caused me headaches with stats being out of whack, players not importing correctly, I am going to just take the plunge, no testing no backup
My 1901 dynasty, I have the Texas League, Southern Association as AA, well I am going to make them Independent, see how it goes
Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:23 AM   #25
Ramzavail
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasberger View Post
I agree. Wasn't there one of those irl back in the early 90's? I think it only lasted a year or two though it pulled in some pretty big stars.
yes one of my favorite set of baseball cards.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:52 AM   #26
goroyals
All Star Reserve

Couple of ideas which use the premise of baseball being "invented" at different times than IRL:

1.) "Televised Baseball"- for various reasons, baseball doesn't develop until after WWI, and even then only as a less violent pastime than football for factory workers. Sometime in the 1950's or 60's the sport begins to revolve around gambling interests, like horse racing or jai alai. The advent of cable television brings about "Televised Baseball" in the late 1980's-which simulcasts baseball games across the country. The league is something like 16 teams (4/4) with a short season but a big 8 team playoff. Franchises are unstable, and talent change randomness is at the max (to simulate the underworld influences). The league could take off in the late 90's with a boom from internet wagering.

2) Founder's League- baseball is derived from cricket and the other early stick and ball games much earlier than IRL. During the American Revolution the American leaders aggressively promote it as being symbolic of the American desire to break from Britain. Figuring out what to do with league totals and financials would be an issue, but if you could work that out it could be pretty cool. I mean, I would love to watch Yorktown vs. Salem for the 1787 Continental Cup....

Another idea I've always wanted to do is create a really simple league (like 2 leagues of 8, with 1 level of minors) that doesn't ever change, and see how many years you can sim. 100? 200? 500? It would be fantastic to see somebody going for 4,500 H to break a 300 year old record, or trying to lead your team to their 100th title.

OOTP is an incredibly flexible program, with some imagination and grasp of how to do workarounds you can make it do some out there stuff. If you have some weird idea you want to implement, just run a test league to figure out the proper way of doing it.
goroyals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:04 PM   #27
fhomess
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakDragon View Post
I don't think a league with mandatory retirement after one season would be any fun.
It all depends on how you handle it.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:18 PM   #28
jaysdailydose
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by donut4free View Post
That would be great if you could get it to work. I will check out the quickstart forums. The World League was a 10 for prestige, but i don't think i changed the other leagues. All the other leagues were parented by the World League. Not sure if that had anything to do with the issues.
I started doing this idea last night, with a twist... I'm going to up the financials to make sure that free agents want to migrate and get the best of the best in the world league, and I'm going to use people from the Forbes Billionaires List to add flavor and some background to the ownership and financials.

It's a fairly slow sim, but here's what I've got working so far:

Billionaire's Baseball League

WBL (working title) -- 24 team world league, Eastern/Western Hemisphere split.
WBL AAA
WBL "Academy" College Feeder with enhanced creation mods (I'll sketch this out in detail later) -- 16 team feeder
WBL "Junior Academy" 4 team HS Feeder, one for each WBL Division.

Full MLB and minor league setup (I may work with shortening down to a reserve roster or lessened minors to lower the tax on the sim, one of the things I'll be checking out.)

NCAA Feeder 120 teams
HS Feeder 40 teams (both with normal creation mods)

Japanese League

---

It's in testing, but I already have my base financials in progress, the locations along with Graphics from CephasJames great Nicknames Project. I haven't added them in as of yet, but I can do so once I've finished testing and won't take a ton of time. (Thanks as always to CephasJames, JustaFan, Silvam, and all the other amazing creators who share their work with the community!)

The World League is definitely pulling the MLB players, and its definitely viable to run a WBL vs. MLB scenario where the cream of the crop rise up to the World League.

For instance, in the testing I was running for about 4 hours or so this morning, Max Scherzer hopped to the WBL in 2015, signing for $50M per season. It works.

I'm more or less trying to cut out some of the unnecessary chaff to cut down on simulation times and CPU load, but the idea will absolutely work.

I hope folks are interested in this one.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:22 PM   #29
jaysdailydose
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlton View Post
Since this game has caused me headaches with stats being out of whack, players not importing correctly, I am going to just take the plunge, no testing no backup
My 1901 dynasty, I have the Texas League, Southern Association as AA, well I am going to make them Independent, see how it goes
If I do a deeper level fictorial (historical/fictional for those that don't know) I'm thinking of doing the Federal League vs. MLB scenario, but allowing the Federal League to thrive.

Are you going to be doing a report on the 1901 dynasty?

Last edited by jaysdailydose; 05-15-2014 at 03:11 AM.
jaysdailydose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:27 PM   #30
jaysdailydose
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goroyals View Post
Couple of ideas which use the premise of baseball being "invented" at different times than IRL:

2) Founder's League- baseball is derived from cricket and the other early stick and ball games much earlier than IRL. During the American Revolution the American leaders aggressively promote it as being symbolic of the American desire to break from Britain. Figuring out what to do with league totals and financials would be an issue, but if you could work that out it could be pretty cool. I mean, I would love to watch Yorktown vs. Salem for the 1787 Continental Cup....
I've never tried to set a start date around that time. Is there support for a league year of that? If there is, that might be a fairly simple one for me to make available and put on my list of projects.

Quote:
Another idea I've always wanted to do is create a really simple league (like 2 leagues of 8, with 1 level of minors) that doesn't ever change, and see how many years you can sim. 100? 200? 500? It would be fantastic to see somebody going for 4,500 H to break a 300 year old record, or trying to lead your team to their 100th title.
I didn't save box scores or anything, but I let an 8 teamer evolve from 1877-1977 seasons the other night while I slept. Mine evolved, yours could be even cooler!
Old 05-01-2014, 04:01 PM   #31
cavebutter
All Star Starter

I am testing a world idea that I had several versions ago but didn't pan out due to any number of factors that I am hoping will be resolved with Prestige and origin and draft controls.

A World Baseball Association made up of leagues from:
  • USA (16 teams (2/8),3 levels of minors, prestige 10)
  • UK (16 teams (2/8), 1 level minors, prestige 8)
  • Germany (16 teams (2/8), 1 level minors, prestige 8)
  • Netherlands (16 teams (2/8), 1 level minors, prestige 8)
  • France (16 teams (2/8), 1 level minors, prestige 7)

100 game seasons with extensive Association Playoffs consisting of top 2 teams from each subleague + wildcard (except for France).

There are also Indy leagues:
Ireland (16 teams (2/8), prestige 3)
Spain (16 teams (2/8), prestige 3)
Can/Am (12 teams (2/6), prestige 5)
Italy (16 teams (2/8), prestige 5)

This is a giant universe for me. It just finished simming 30 years this morning, so I will be doing a lot of analysis tonight and tomorrow.

If it looks good, I will finish up the unis and logos for the minor leagues and post it as a quick start.

Logo Gallery
cavebutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 04:07 PM   #32
Walsh06
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by munstermash View Post
That is a pretty cool idea. I have always enjoyed playing with smaller rosters and fewer games per week but never thought of dropping it to one game a week.

How big of rosters do you use?
The majors have 19 players. I vary it with different leagues. They all set reserve roster to 15 though. I only have two rounds for the major league draft similar to the NBA. But because of the way I do college there are some really good players going into the league who will impact immediately. I like it. I used to sim large portions of the seaosn before but now I take a much closer look at my league. When theres so few games I have to make sure my team is ready for each particular match which is really fun. Also it changes up stats so something like 10 home runs could be a big deal for a season.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:08 PM   #33
cavebutter
All Star Starter

I also have beautiful logos and unis for a Pan-Asian ML that I was thinking of adding to this universe, but am worried about getting the player origins right and the best way to deal with foreign player limits.

Logo Gallery
cavebutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 04:21 PM   #34
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico (formally San Diego, CA.)
I so have a entire season WBC thing it's 28 teams representing 28 nations. 28 team roster I have play 150 game season. What I did I had to creat a bunch of international players in the free-agent area ten import move those players to their teams and allowed for no trades or transactions

Chargers= Despicable Traitors
Padreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 04:26 PM   #35
goroyals
All Star Reserve

Quote:
I've never tried to set a start date around that time. Is there support for a league year of that? If there is, that might be a fairly simple one for me to make available and put on my list of projects.
Not for auto-importing options, like league totals modifiers or financials of course. Those don't start until 1871. For what the game is going to look like on the field, that's up to you. You could use modern day, 1950's, 1871, or come up with some custom ones. You can choose to leave those static, or use league evolution to have them change randomly sometimes.

For the financials, I would import 1871, and then just reduce everything proportionally. Say you start in 1776...just multiply every figure by .05. Then, every so often, up them, until you get back to the original numbers by 1871. Or you could just turn financials off!

If you're asking the entirely different question of whether or not the game will run at all if you enter 1776 as the starting year, I think it would. I've been running a league that's spanned from 1839-1875 so far. I think 999 or less and or greater than 10000 could pose problems.
goroyals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 04:32 PM   #36
jaysdailydose
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

If you're asking the entirely different question of whether or not the game will run at all if you enter 1776 as the starting year, I think it would. I've been running a league that's spanned from 1839-1875 so far. I think 999 or less and or greater than 10000 could pose problems.
This was my question, I've never attempted to run a date before the recorded history of the game, only after. Thanks for the full response, though!
Old 05-01-2014, 05:13 PM   #37
OakDragon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhomess View Post
It all depends on how you handle it.
I stand corrected.
OakDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 06:05 PM   #38
Thundercrack
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Not necessarily. I have to test some things but you can definitely run them side by side now using the custom league setup.

Kind of a "what would have happened if the PCL didn't try for too much too soon scenario."

With independent leagues and the ability to combine fictional and historical within the same universe could raise some very interesting possibilities!
Again, am intrigued by this idea but I see no way of accomplishing this except by creating an association. If you know otherwise, I would love to find out how to get this done. thanks
Thundercrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 06:16 PM   #39
Ruthian23
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsh06 View Post

Im loving my current game though thanks to NYY23 for the idea. Its a short game season. Its started with the majors being similar to the NFL and I now have expanded to 48 college teams, 3 indy leagues, the Caribbean/Gulf league and Caribbean /Gulf junior league. They all play 10-16 games except college which has 15 two game series. I like it for how your starter becomes like the quarterback of the team. And its always interesting seeing that big college player get picked first overall and seeing how he does in the majors. Very entertaining league.
I was actually toying with this concept the other day. You didn't happen to make a Quickstart, did you?
Ruthian23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 06:37 PM   #40
Walsh06
All Star Reserve

I could certainly do one if you'd like although I'll freely admit some it is not the best. It's at a point where I like it but others may not but sure you can always mess with some settings if you need to.