Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 01-25-2014, 05:56 PM   #1
conception
All Star Starter

Tell me more about the 3D collada format

I was very excited to hear about this addition but I know very little about this format. What programs are used to make it? How time consuming is to make something like a baseball pallpark? I'd like to hear some descriptions of what you can or could do with it from people who know a little about it. Obviously I don't expect more detailed information right now on its implementation within the game, but more about the format itself.
conception is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 06:12 PM   #2
endgame
Hall Of Famer

I'll confess not to know much about it, but what was interesting to me in trying to find out more about it, I Googled Collada baseball stadiums (images) and was surprised to find the OOTP15 logo shown at least twice in the first couple of pages.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:21 PM   #3
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Here's more than you want to know:

COLLADA FAQ - COLLADA
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 06:34 PM   #4
conception
All Star Starter

I read through that FAQ, and while it lets me know the capability of collada amongst 3d formats, I still know very little about what tools go into the creation of such. I can tell from the FAQ that the format is not program specific, but it doesn't let me know what tools are commonly used to create
files like these.

If the current set of OOTP ballpark makers want to start making 3d models, what would they need to do?
Old 01-25-2014, 06:44 PM   #5
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Then would need to use 3D design software. Maya, 3DSMax, Strata, etc.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:49 PM   #6
justafan
Hall Of Famer

SketchUp and Blender are both free.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:08 PM   #7
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Here's a list of 25 of them.

25 (Free) 3D Modeling Applications You Should Not Miss

Old 01-25-2014, 11:11 PM   #8
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

But if you're going to do this seriously, you're really going to want something better than freeware.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:35 PM   #9
dodgerblue88
Minors (Double A)

Guys, I am so freaking excited... I have been asking for this for years now. Sure you can use Maya or any other high end software, but the great thing about this is you can use plain old sketchup which is very very easy to learn.

A few years back this dude on the baseball-fever forums posted this tutorial on stadium building in sketchup:

Google SketchUp Ballpark University

And check out what some of the guys over on the board have made over the years in this thread:

Your Dream Ballpark Designs
dodgerblue88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:49 AM   #10
conception
All Star Starter

Something everyone here needs to know is that the 3d model database at 3D Warehouse is absolutely teeming with different ballpark designs that should easily be able to be modified and exported as Collada files. This will be amazing to use, and even if we don't have true graphics right now, the 3d environments should be pretty neat. Today I have gone from dreading my beloved ballpark database being outdated to realizing that there could be tenfold the amount of good fictional ballparks to use. On top of that, existing ballpark designs should be able to be modified to create variation so much easier than a flat jpeg file. I simply cannot wait until OOTP 15 drops.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:40 AM   #11
Kobeck
Major Leagues

gonna have to, for the first time, drop the $s and prebuy.

The stadium thingy alone will be huge for me.

Now all you people start making crap - lol

seriously this is gonna be huge
Kobeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 04:13 AM   #12
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
But if you're going to do this seriously, you're really going to want something better than freeware.
From what I understand, Blender, while free, has actually become the program many pros use to do 3D modeling as it is a fully featured app.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:08 AM   #13
silvam14
Hall Of Famer

Call me crazy, but isn't the 3D ballpark importer a utility to make ballparks? Maybe I've got this all wrong.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:22 AM   #14
Tashtego
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Thanks for the list The Wolf. I didn't know these even existed.
Yeah, I don't get around much anymore.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:28 AM   #15
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
From what I understand, Blender, while free, has actually become the program many pros use to do 3D modeling as it is a fully featured app.
My sister is a professional graphics designer. All opinions expressed by me about 3D programs were picked up at the dining room table. And she says if you're doing 3D, go pro.

But do what you want.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:29 AM   #16
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tashtego View Post
Thanks for the list The Wolf. I didn't know these even existed.
Yeah, I don't get around much anymore.
No problem.

Old 01-26-2014, 03:07 PM   #17
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
My sister is a professional graphics designer. All opinions expressed by me about 3D programs were picked up at the dining room table. And she says if you're doing 3D, go pro.
If some pros are using the app, then I'd say that's a good indication the app is considered serious enough for professional use. (At least, going by what's on the Blender site.)
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 04:08 PM   #18
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
If some pros are using the app, then I'd say that's a good indication the app is considered serious enough for professional use. (At least, going by what's on the Blender site.)
So download Blender and see if it does what you think you need it to do.

Last edited by The Wolf; 01-26-2014 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:14 PM   #19
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

3D model of a baseball stadium:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sds9uJ_mhis

Old 01-26-2014, 04:32 PM   #20
conception
All Star Starter

I've already downloaded sketchup and some ballpark models just to see what things are like in program. I can't even get a hang of the camera system, though I can see enough to really marvel at what people have already done.

I'm not really skilled at this type of thing so I doubt I'd ever be able to create fullscale, quality models. I may at some point attempt to do some simple work on existing models, but I'm really going to have to get a look at how OOTP is going to handle things in-game.