Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 03-11-2014, 06:03 PM   #81
thehef
Hall Of Famer

1. Flag ALL postseason games to generate a news story, then...

2a. If the events of the game would already produce a news story (like 15 K's or a 5-for-5 or whatever else flags a game to have a story generated), then go with that story, making minor adjustments to the headline and to the text of the story so it is apparent that it is a playoff game. Also include a closing paragraph that states that "... the Dodgers now lead the series 2 games to none, with game three scheduled for tomorrow at Dodger Stadium. Don Sutton will take the hill for Dodgers, and Ron Guidry will start for New York..." or something like that.

2b. If the events of the game would not normally generate a news story, then create a very simple story that includes a basic headline that is something like "[Player of the game] Leads Dodgers to Game One Win" for the headline, and then simply restates that in slightly more detail (& with stats) in the story itself; also include the closing paragraph mentioned in #2a above... I'm sure there is code that calculates the player of the game, so it should be possible for the game to determine - behind the scenes - who the runner-ups were. So, in the event that the POTG happened to be from the losing team, the game could simply grab the the winning team's best player from that day and instead insert him into the headline and story. And using that logic, it should also be possible to include a short paragraph that mentions who the led the losing team ("White led the Yankees' losing effort with three hits, including a double and two RBI."), *IF* the losing team's player met a certain threshhold; otherwise this additional paragraph can be excluded (this logic would be to avoid having a paragraph that read, "Jones led the Phillies with a single and a walk.")... Adding to the depth and immersion factor of these stories could be a very simple paragraph that mentions who the winning and losing pitchers were - *IF* they weren't already mentioned as the POTG or the losing team's player of the day...

In my opinion, having simple and somewhat generic stories of post-season games would be a great start in an effort to give much-needed attention to the postseason, and would certainly be preferable to having what few postseason stories we have now. In fact, I wouldn't care if the text of the stories from two separate playoff games ended up being identical except for the players' names, specific stats referenced, and the score. It'd still be better than nothing at this most-important time of the season.

In order to get some simple variation in headlines and basic storylines, I'm sure there are a few OOTP gamers who would be happy to contribute.

True that this idea would result in stories that fail to mention important details such as epic comebacks, blown saves, 7-run innings, and "six errors leading to all nine runs," but when we get to, say OOTP17, I'd rather be arguing for more-comprehensive postseason stories then, rather than still asking for stories for each postseason game.
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:28 PM   #82
BradC
All Star Starter

Oh, hey, look at me in that list. I've gone rogue. Sorry, Markus.

So, anyway, my idea basically involves an image that would pop up on the screen as soon as the last World Series game ends, whether you're playing out the game and you leave the box score or you're simming through. (With an option to turn it off if you're simming through, so you don't have to stop to have it pop up.)

I envision it as the top half of the front page of the home team's newspaper, with a big headline and a picture below it. You wouldn't even have to have an article in it - it could just replicate the info from the playoff coverage screen.

It's really more about increasing immersion and giving people a fun image they could snap a screenshot of and post on Twitter or Facebook or whatever. I realize that print newspapers are going the way of the dodo, but I think everyone playing OOTP is familiar with basic newspaper layouts. (I don't mean to sound facetious by that - today's kids will become adults who won't know that paradigm, just like rotary phones are alien to them.)

Note that this is not something that would be part of the regular newspaper. This is a different idea. It's an image that would appear on the screen, covering pretty much everything until you click the X in the corner to close it. It would have placeholders for team and city names, and maybe you could swap out the newspaper name too, if you wanted (or it could generate a different random one, using Times, Gazette, Post, Daily, etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
This is the thank you list for the playoffs in the newspaper idea.

AlexPoland (02-26-2014), BigCity (01-24-2014), Bigrod (01-25-2014), Bluenoser (01-24-2014), bp_ (01-25-2014), BradC (Today), Caporegime (01-27-2014), CHOWDERHEAD (01-25-2014), Cryomaniac (01-25-2014), Dark Horse (01-25-2014), Doc_Brown (01-24-2014), DreamTeams (01-27-2014), dward1 (02-25-2014), ecd1973 (02-25-2014), Eugene Church (01-25-2014), Habsfan18 (02-26-2014), Halara (01-30-2014), haveband (01-25-2014), Honorable_Pawn (01-25-2014), Jabez54 (01-25-2014), JMDurron (02-25-2014), kryakyu12 (02-25-2014), le receveur (01-25-2014), legofarley (01-27-2014), LeiterFanatic (02-25-2014), lukasberger (01-24-2014), mgom27 (01-25-2014), NYY #23 (01-24-2014), old timer (01-25-2014), PSUColonel (02-27-2014), r0nster (03-05-2014), Rich Tiger Fan (02-27-2014), rogmax11 (02-25-2014), Roy Tucker (02-25-2014), sandman2575 (01-24-2014), SF_49er (02-25-2014), silvam14 (01-25-2014), thehef (01-25-2014)

Recognize much of the core of your OOTP users in there?
BradC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:30 PM   #83
BradC
All Star Starter

I should add that I would like to see the playoffs in the newspaper too, but given the programming complexities involved in that, I realize that could take a while.

And, yes, my idea would be in addition to having the playoffs in the newspaper. Again, it's about the immersion factor and that "Oh, wow we won it all!" feeling. (Would it only appear if your team wins it all? Maybe that could be optional, so if your hated rival wins it all, you don't have to have it rubbed in your face.)

Then you turn to the OOTP newspaper to get more in-depth stuff (when that can be implemented).
BradC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:37 PM   #84
kryakyu12
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvam14 View Post
Let me just add this point. With the possibility of having so many leagues in a given world (even more so with he extra foreign leagues in 15?) it makes having these extra news stories even that much more important.

I run a very small world precisely because I don't want to spend the time having to dig through each league for playoff info or other notable story lines in other leagues.

Now, if more post season news stories could be generated and sent to my inbox, that would change my playing style in a heartbeat.

I take you at your word when you say it is very time consuming, but I feel this game has somehow skated by all these years without this needed component being more vociferously advocated for. I suppose the addition of the create you own news story feature helped, but I have no interest in creating news stories for leagues I have no direct involvement in.

I don't know. I think I am rambling now. Sorry
+1 this.
For a specific example, I only noticed that my team's AAA affiliate won that league's playoffs a few weeks after it was over (though I was did get the news story that our AAA 1B won batter of the year).

I too appreciate that generating more news stories may be difficult, and is not the highest priority. But knowing -- for example -- when my team has clinched at least a wildcard spot would have been great.

Thanks, and looking forward to OOTP15.
kryakyu12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:05 PM   #85
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradC View Post
I should add that I would like to see the playoffs in the newspaper too, but given the programming complexities involved in that, I realize that could take a while.

And, yes, my idea would be in addition to having the playoffs in the newspaper. Again, it's about the immersion factor and that "Oh, wow we won it all!" feeling. (Would it only appear if your team wins it all? Maybe that could be optional, so if your hated rival wins it all, you don't have to have it rubbed in your face.)

Then you turn to the OOTP newspaper to get more in-depth stuff (when that can be implemented).
There must be something we don't know, because a paragraph saying that the A's just beat the Tigers 4-3 and that their playoff series is even at 2-2 doesn't strike me as being that hard to implement. And if the standings know that a team has clinched its league/division (and they do, they show it) then why can't the newspaper know?
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:40 PM   #86
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
There must be something we don't know, because a paragraph saying that the A's just beat the Tigers 4-3 and that their playoff series is even at 2-2 doesn't strike me as being that hard to implement. And if the standings know that a team has clinched its league/division (and they do, they show it) then why can't the newspaper know?
This ^
Old 03-12-2014, 10:38 AM   #87
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
This is the thank you list for the playoffs in the newspaper idea.

AlexPoland (02-26-2014), BigCity (01-24-2014), Bigrod (01-25-2014), Bluenoser (01-24-2014), bp_ (01-25-2014), BradC (Today), Caporegime (01-27-2014), CHOWDERHEAD (01-25-2014), Cryomaniac (01-25-2014), Dark Horse (01-25-2014), Doc_Brown (01-24-2014), DreamTeams (01-27-2014), dward1 (02-25-2014), ecd1973 (02-25-2014), Eugene Church (01-25-2014), Habsfan18 (02-26-2014), Halara (01-30-2014), haveband (01-25-2014), Honorable_Pawn (01-25-2014), Jabez54 (01-25-2014), JMDurron (02-25-2014), kryakyu12 (02-25-2014), le receveur (01-25-2014), legofarley (01-27-2014), LeiterFanatic (02-25-2014), lukasberger (01-24-2014), mgom27 (01-25-2014), NYY #23 (01-24-2014), old timer (01-25-2014), PSUColonel (02-27-2014), r0nster (03-05-2014), Rich Tiger Fan (02-27-2014), rogmax11 (02-25-2014), Roy Tucker (02-25-2014), sandman2575 (01-24-2014), SF_49er (02-25-2014), silvam14 (01-25-2014), thehef (01-25-2014)

Recognize much of the core of your OOTP users in there?
Well, just because I thank a good idea, I don't expect Markus to drop everything to add it to the game. Honestly, I really don't care about the newspaper myself. Plus I'm a serial thanker anyway

Honestly to me, this is more of a niche request, if you will, than some others, like accurate independent league functions.

We're only getting something like service time limits this year, even though it's been a top request of the beta team for years now.

I agree that this would be be nice to have, but as with everything anyone suggests, it's important to understand the limitations Markus is working with. Small team, limited time etc. He really spoils us in acceding to so many requests, so often. It's just not realistic to expect them all to be included.

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 03-12-2014 at 10:39 AM.
Lukas Berger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:45 AM   #88
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
There must be something we don't know, because a paragraph saying that the A's just beat the Tigers 4-3 and that their playoff series is even at 2-2 doesn't strike me as being that hard to implement.
Right, and if we'd only have such a paragraph it would get repetetive and no fun at all. That's the reason why I'll only do it the proper way or not at all.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:59 AM   #89
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Right, and if we'd only have such a paragraph it would get repetetive and no fun at all. That's the reason why I'll only do it the proper way or not at all.
That will do for this year. Put it in like that now and pretty it up in later years.

We want the playoffs in the newspaper where they belong. A newspaper without playoff news is crippled. Repetitiveness would be a very small price to pay for a fix.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:03 AM   #90
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Repetitiveness would be a very small price to pay for a fix.
Here's where we have to agree to disagree, sorry.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:46 AM   #91
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasberger View Post
Well, just because I thank a good idea, I don't expect Markus to drop everything to add it to the game. Honestly, I really don't care about the newspaper myself. Plus I'm a serial thanker anyway

Honestly to me, this is more of a niche request, if you will, than some others, like accurate independent league functions.

We're only getting something like service time limits this year, even though it's been a top request of the beta team for years now.

I agree that this would be be nice to have, but as with everything anyone suggests, it's important to understand the limitations Markus is working with. Small team, limited time etc. He really spoils us in acceding to so many requests, so often. It's just not realistic to expect them all to be included.
Nonsense. This is anything but niche; everybody has playoffs and most everyone reads the league newspaper.

I understand about limitations. But just as there are limitations, there are gaps and needs in OOTP, and this is a glaring one. I have brought this up before and I brought it up again here and I will keep bringing it up. The league newspaper needs to include league playoff news - it's just that simple. And if doesn't, then it fails in it's function as a league newspaper.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:48 AM   #92
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Here's where we have to agree to disagree, sorry.
Basic functionality >> no functionally

Old 03-12-2014, 11:49 AM   #93
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Markus, I get that you don't want to fix it. But this is a hole in OOTP and it's not going away. If you can't fix it for 15, then please schedule a fix for it for 16.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:03 PM   #94
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Markus, I get that you don't want to fix it. But this is a hole in OOTP and it's not going away. If you can't fix it for 15, then please schedule a fix for it for 16.
Dude, I said it'll be fixed eventually, no worries. It is on my list, but there are things with higher priorities on it.

I hope to add playoff spot clinching articles to OOTP 15, along with articles about teams winning a playoff series. However, game recaps will definitely not be part of OOTP 15, no matter how short. I want to do them right, and since this is incredibly complex, it will take a while.

Last edited by Markus Heinsohn; 03-12-2014 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:20 PM   #95
BigCity
All Star Starter

Wolf, I share your same opinion about needing more coverage on Playoff Games, but realistically - if that option is going to (for example) drop half the features in this years list to add, I can see Markus need to spread it out over a couple versions.

It's not a deal breaker in that I'm going to quit playing because it's not there for now. Give the man the right to prioritize things as he see's fit. He's done a bangup job for 15 versions - I think he's got a handle on it
BigCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:33 PM   #96
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

I'd rather it was fixed sooner than later, but if it's at least on the schedule to be fixed that's way better than no fix at all. Subject dropped until OOTP 16.

Old 03-12-2014, 04:40 PM   #97
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I hope to add playoff spot clinching articles to OOTP 15, along with articles about teams winning a playoff series.
These would be excellent improvements and a move in the right direction. IMO, on a scale of 1 to 10, OOTP is a 15, except for - strangely - the most important time of the year: The postseason, which is about a 5, kinda like an afterthought.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:42 PM   #98
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehef View Post
These would be excellent improvements and a move in the right direction. IMO, on a scale of 1 to 10, OOTP is a 15, except for - strangely - the most important time of the year: The postseason, which is about a 5, kinda like an afterthought.
Exactly.

Old 03-12-2014, 05:44 PM   #99
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Subject dropped until OOTP 16.

5 hrs dude
Honorable_Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:51 PM   #100
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honorable_Pawn View Post

5 hrs dude
I was just agreeing with him, not bringing it back up.