Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 01-13-2014, 07:39 PM   #41
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Chuck what about just doing a system restore to a week or so ago when the problem did not exist. Norton also has an easy solve download option that might help if you still use it. Did you re-installl OOTP yet cuz that seems like it would have taken less time that 47% for a quick scan.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:47 PM   #42
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
Chuck what about just doing a system restore to a week or so ago when the problem did not exist.
The system restore is a good suggestion. I had a problem similar to this some time ago and that did the trick.
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:13 PM   #43
chucksabr
Hall Of Famer

I thought about system restore, although as far as I can go back is uninstalling and reinstalling Snagit a few times a couple days ago to try to fix that problem. I can try it though ...
chucksabr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:31 PM   #44
jazzrack
Hall Of Famer

right about now is when I would be shifting my focus to a system rebuild instead of trying to fix it. unlicensed ootp & whatever else might need that type of thing, back up your most important stuff. and reinstall windows.

windows 7 isn't a destructive process, it just moves your old installation to a windows.old folder and you can just drag your files & folders back to the proper place. you still have to re-install all your programs, but if they are not working right anyway...

Was once Head Cheese of Corporate League Baseball

Last edited by jazzrack; 01-13-2014 at 08:33 PM.
jazzrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:48 PM   #45
Bowtie
All Star Starter

Before he does any system rebuilding, I have replied to his support ticket with an idea that may (yes, fingers crossed) fix this issue.

Bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:50 AM   #46
chucksabr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtie View Post
Before he does any system rebuilding, I have replied to his support ticket with an idea that may (yes, fingers crossed) fix this issue.
Hi, Bowtie, anything new on that idea?
Old 01-17-2014, 08:01 PM   #47
chucksabr
Hall Of Famer

Just to close the loop on this, I did figure this out.

One of the things I did not try before, was to open one of the other games I have going (but is currently dormant). I did so, and the open in external browser function (OXB) worked. Then I went back to my current English Baseball League (EBL) game, tried OXB there and it still did NOT work.

BUT: the current EBL game I was playing is actually a copy of the master EBL game I am maintaining. I sometimes run a copy of the EBL in case I try something new that ends up screwing something up. By running a copy and maintaining an original, if a screw-up happens, at least I don’t screw up the entire dynasty, and I can start over from the original point. Sort of a "system restore" for the dynasty.

I actually had to create three copies, naming each EBL #1, EBL #2 and EBL #3. I was running EBL #3. It was on that copy OXB wasn’t working.

So what was different about the copy from the original? The only thing I could see is that I had a non-alphanumeric character in the name of the saved game, i.e., the pound sign (#).

So I renamed the game without the # sign—and OXB worked.

I tried opening a couple other dormant games, and OXB worked.

Lastly, I tried one other dormant game, which itself has a # sign in the name of it—and OXB did not work.

The moral of the story: use only alphanumeric characters when naming your games, because you never know what will get effed up.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:31 PM   #48
The Game
Hall Of Famer

sorry off topic - what is your EBL league?
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:37 PM   #49
NYY #23
Hall Of Famer

Glad that you got it working, and just for fun I tried to rename an old league with a # and couldn't open in external browser. Opened another league, it worked fine, removed the # and it was working again.
NYY #23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:42 PM   #50
chucksabr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYY #23 View Post
Glad that you got it working, and just for fun I tried to rename an old league with a # and couldn't open in external browser. Opened another league, it worked fine, removed the # and it was working again.
So whatever you do, don't rename your league "NYY #23".
Old 01-17-2014, 08:43 PM   #51
chucksabr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
sorry off topic - what is your EBL league?
Old 01-18-2014, 05:02 AM   #52
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

If you haven't filed this as a bug, PLEASE do so! The fact that you found the issue (and a workaround) should make it easier to fix but it's definitely still a bug! My guess is that the HTML parser isn't properly encoding/decoding URL strings (as you should be able to see by going to virtually any Wikipedia page, the hash sign is used to anchor the browser to different parts of the page - in the Wiki example if you click on the table of contents and look at your URL you'll see something like en.wikipedia.org/Yak_Butter.html#Bellevue - that means that you are looking at the Yak Butter page in Wiki but are pointed towards the "Bellevue" part of the page).
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 04:03 PM   #53
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd Thrift View Post
If you haven't filed this as a bug, PLEASE do so! The fact that you found the issue (and a workaround) should make it easier to fix but it's definitely still a bug! My guess is that the HTML parser isn't properly encoding/decoding URL strings (as you should be able to see by going to virtually any Wikipedia page, the hash sign is used to anchor the browser to different parts of the page - in the Wiki example if you click on the table of contents and look at your URL you'll see something like en.wikipedia.org/Yak_Butter.html#Bellevue - that means that you are looking at the Yak Butter page in Wiki but are pointed towards the "Bellevue" part of the page).
Yeah, this one's very intriguing and the findings should be reported back to Andreas, chuck. Congratulations on not only the fix, but discovering the cause of the problem. Never would have suspected that one.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:04 PM   #54
chucksabr
Hall Of Famer

I've been in touch with Galen on it the whole time and he's aware of the situation.