Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 02:23 PM   #61
Hoiles
All Star Reserve

I think storylines is a great addition and won't play a game without it, especially now that it's less silly than before. While including the specific child dying scenario doesn't make a difference to me, I agree with the OP in that's it also doesn't accomplish anything and I'd take it out. Bluenoser's suggestion though is quite good and less controversial though.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:38 PM   #62
Mr. Baseball
All Star Starter

I don't understand why people have such an issue with the story lines. It's a little blimp in the news reports and doesn't effect your game whatsoever. If you don't like them, turn them off or ignore them. It's text, that's all it is.

I for one have been very pleased with the way OOTP has expanded on these in recent versions. They're getting better and better each year.

It's one of those things that's stupid to complain about IMO because you have the option to turn it off.

Duluth Danger (HBL) Dynasty Report -- Online League Franchise
Duluth - 1985/1989 North League Champions!

Old 08-21-2013, 02:48 PM   #63
spleen1015
Hall Of Famer

He's not complaining about storylines. He's complaining about 1 particular storyline. There's a difference.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:50 PM   #64
Mr. Baseball
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
He's not complaining about storylines. He's complaining about 1 particular storyline. There's a difference.
Was a general statement directed at people who do complain.

Duluth Danger (HBL) Dynasty Report -- Online League Franchise
Duluth - 1985/1989 North League Champions!

Old 08-21-2013, 02:56 PM   #65
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post
I treat Storylines like 7-Up: Never have, never will.
^ This
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:57 PM   #66
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Baseball View Post
Was a general statement directed at people who do complain.
I don't complain about them. I just turn them off.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:54 PM   #67
Hankyu Braves
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasberger View Post
Hi. You're right. I'd absolutely agree that you don't NEED these types of stories to make the storylines enjoyable.

That being said I'd personally be more for adding the chance of players dying. It would be more realistic.

But I can see where the idea of playing a game like OOTP is a chance to escape from the harsh realities of life.

So while I personally don't see the need to remove the feature, I can respect that you do. Guess I really don't have much else to add.
Same here. All players should die (optional of course for those who are too sensitive). It makes for a great story. Legenddary player turned manager dies in his sleep at the ripe age of 83. Oh the joy of reading the news and reliving all the great (virtual) memories.

Seriously, I believe this is the one thing lacking.

Regarding the OP. I don't see the problem. It's a game.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:09 PM   #68
Ts-Rock
Major Leagues

my 2 cents:

Is it a good storyline that adds needed value to game: NO

Will it stop me from buying game: NO

Will it affect me emotionally to the point I can't play the game: NO

Will it make me upset that I have to create a thread about to get it changed: NO

Do I spend more than 3 secs reading ANY story lines: NO

Have I ever seen this storyline in 7 years of playing OOTP: NO

Do I enjoy the story lines: Yes

2010 114-48, World Series Champions
2011 109-53, 1st Rd Loss to N.F.
2012. 96-66, 1st Rd Loss to L.A.
2013 112-50, World Series Champions
2014 119-43, World Series Champions
2015 124-38, World Series Champions
2016 111-51, LCS Loss to L.A.
2017 110-52, World Series Champions
2018 101-61, 1st Rd Loss to Baffin Island
2019. 98-64, LCS Loss to Baffin Island
2020 103-59,

Last edited by Ts-Rock; 08-21-2013 at 04:55 PM. Reason: typos
Old 08-21-2013, 04:53 PM   #69
injury log
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Baseball View Post
Not sure why so many people hate storylines.
I don't think it's true that 'so many people hate storylines'. It just seems true because a few people who dislike them are very vocal on this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
I don't complain about them. I just turn them off.
But you do complain about them, all the time. And every time you do, it makes me cringe. Several OOTP features - the MLB roster set, news stories, storylines, the pbp, among others - are entirely the work of volunteers. The people who work on these things aren't paid; they're donating their time entirely to make your and other OOTPers' experience of the game more enjoyable. If you don't like their work, that's fine, you can turn storylines off. But you don't need to disparage their efforts every chance you have. Nothing about your comments is remotely constructive, and if they lead volunteers to stop working on the game, then everyone playing OOTP loses.

Storylines are almost infinitely better in v14 than in v13. Yes, they are far from perfect, but I think the people who contributed to them this version deserve to be applauded for their work. If you don't like them, there's an on/off switch. Or you could do something that actually helps other OOTPers, like suggest how to improve them, or even work on them yourself. You don't need to take every opportunity you have to make volunteers feel like their work is worthless.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:58 PM   #70
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by injury log View Post
I don't think it's true that 'so many people hate storylines'. It just seems true because a few people who dislike them are very vocal on this forum.

But you do complain about them, all the time. And every time you do, it makes me cringe. Several OOTP features - the MLB roster set, news stories, storylines, the pbp, among others - are entirely the work of volunteers. The people who work on these things aren't paid; they're donating their time entirely to make your and other OOTPers' experience of the game more enjoyable. If you don't like their work, that's fine, you can turn storylines off. But you don't need to disparage their efforts every chance you have. Nothing about your comments is remotely constructive, and if they lead volunteers to stop working on the game, then everyone playing OOTP loses.

Storylines are almost infinitely better in v14 than in v13. Yes, they are far from perfect, but I think the people who contributed to them this version deserve to be applauded for their work. If you don't like them, there's an on/off switch. Or you could do something that actually helps other OOTPers, like suggest how to improve them, or even work on them yourself. You don't need to take every opportunity you have to make volunteers feel like their work is worthless.
I have a question. In the past I believe I read that coaches and scouts had to be turned on for the interactive storylines to work. Is that true?
Old 08-21-2013, 05:21 PM   #71
injury log
Hall Of Famer

And as for the storylines about children dying, I'd say the following:

- realism is not, in and of itself, a compelling justification for including a feature in OOTP. OOTP GMs don't set the price of hot dogs, choose the typeface for the team's marketing material, or determine how big the stadium parking lot should be. Realism is mostly boring, and OOTP should be fun.

- I don't think this storyline makes the game any more fun. Were it not there, almost no one would want it added. And those who do like it could almost surely live without it, while many of those who don't like it may very well have strong feelings about it.

- that said, Bluenoser's suggestion would make the storyline (replacing 'child' with 'family member') far more palatable to all users, and I think that would be an improvement.

- There are certain storylines I'd like to see that other people might dislike. I want player personalities to matter, and I want to see a Milton Bradley or a Denny Neagle or a Kengshill Pujols in my game. I think there should be a category of 'unsavory' storyline that is disabled by default, but which users could elect to enable. I think then everyone can be happy with the types of storylines they see.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #72
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm3 View Post
I really, REALLY shouldn't be contributing to this argument, but here we go...

I'm okay with Markus & Co. leaving this storyline in after the first discussion about the issue. I didn't want them to take it out simply because it's not politically correct (and yes, despite whatever anyone may say, that's what it boils down to - censoring yourself to avoid backlash is trying to be politically correct). If there was an overwhelming majority asking them to take it out, however, that's a different story - but from what I've seen in both this discussion and the last, it's pretty much split 50/50.

Now, if you disagree with this specific storyline, I would take Bluenoser's advice and write the dev team directly. And be calm about it, please - present some constructive reasoning and politely ask that this storyline be changed. Don't go nuts on the forum and then wonder why people insult you back.

That's all. There's no need to spawn a massive argument about this. It's just a game.
Agree, I dont care for the feature at all but if the storylines were worth using then I wouldn't have a problem with this specific storyline nor the other death, crime related story lines that were mention. No need to be PC and censor yourselves. If anything, I am against that idea....

also Im sure The Last Of Us didnt lose sales when the main character's young daughter died from getting shot by a soldier...

In fact people loved it!

I think things like this help the player get attach to his players and is a level of immersion. No need to take that away just to be PC..

Last edited by SirMichaelJordan; 08-21-2013 at 05:34 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:30 PM   #73
Ts-Rock
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMichaelJordan View Post
also Im sure The Last Of Us didnt lose sells when the main character's young daughter died from getting shot by a soldier...

In fact people loved it!
Dude...SPOILER ALERT!!!!

haha, I've already beat the game (Top 3 game of all-time!!!) and I agree! As a father of a young girl I cried at that part, it immediately made me care about the character and drew me into the game in a way I've nvr been drawn in. But that's a different story for a diff thread.

2010 114-48, World Series Champions
2011 109-53, 1st Rd Loss to N.F.
2012. 96-66, 1st Rd Loss to L.A.
2013 112-50, World Series Champions
2014 119-43, World Series Champions
2015 124-38, World Series Champions
2016 111-51, LCS Loss to L.A.
2017 110-52, World Series Champions
2018 101-61, 1st Rd Loss to Baffin Island
2019. 98-64, LCS Loss to Baffin Island
2020 103-59,
Old 08-21-2013, 05:37 PM   #74
MUFC1878
All Star Reserve

I don't mind this particular storyline. Also, I agree with having players die. Maybe freeze their age and have a news report.

Btw, this is from a 8 teams league I just started. Its first three news reports.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:43 PM   #75
Painmantle
Hall Of Famer

Amazingly enough, I just went into my computer to this location

C:\Users\youruser\Documents\Out of the Park Developments\OOTP Baseball 13\storylines\default_storylines.xml

Opened up the xml file

found this particular storyline, changed the wording and Viola! Problem solved!

That child no longer dies in my game if that storyline comes up.

This whole process took every bit of 1 minute!

Problems like this are easily solved if you think outside the box!

My guess is that the people who don't like these story lines can either A) Turn them off or B) edit them quickly.

If people who don't like them spent 1/10th of the time fixing them as they did complaining about them...this thread wouldn't even exist!
“As soon as I got out there I felt a strange relationship with the pitcher's mound. It was as if I'd been born out there. Pitching just felt like the most natural thing in the world. Striking out batters was easy.” -Babe Ruth
“Ruth made a grave mistake when he gave up pitching. Working once a week, he might have lasted a long time and become a great star.”-Tris Speaker
My Dynasties
The Beantown Bambino
Old 08-21-2013, 06:05 PM   #76
Nunyer
All Star Reserve

I think you miss the point.

If you don't know the storyline is there... because you might be one of those thousands of people that buy the game and don't think to browse the forums or edit xml docs... Then you might get hit with the story line and find yourself bummed out. I think that was the whole point of the OP... The fact that he doesn't play this game to read about dying children and wasn't expecting something like that to be included.

I don't think it's a big deal either way, but I certainly see his point. Immersion runs both ways... something that pulls you further into the game world might damage the experience for somebody else and push them away from the game world.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:18 PM   #77
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

- realism is not, in and of itself, a compelling justification for including a feature in OOTP. OOTP GMs don't set the price of hot dogs, choose the typeface for the team's marketing material, or determine how big the stadium parking lot should be. Realism is mostly boring, and OOTP should be fun.
Neither do real life GMs.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:27 PM   #78
injury log
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG17EASY View Post
Neither do real life GMs.
Can we agree that an OOTP GM might spend about 10 hours on GM tasks, give or take, to finish a season, and that a real life GM would spend 2000+ hours doing the same? That makes 1990+ hours of tedious tasks that occupy the real life GM each year and not the OOTP GM. I don't really care what those tasks are; they just don't need to be in this game.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:28 PM   #79
HuachucaThunder
Minors (Triple A)

I agree with some here, if you don't like the story lines, just turn them off. Additionally, why not just go into the text file for the story lines and delete or edit the ones that you think are not relevant? Granted this is a very large file, but perhaps it would be worth it for some to do it.
Just a thought

Last edited by HuachucaThunder; 08-21-2013 at 06:30 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:29 PM   #80
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Quote:

- I don't think this storyline makes the game any more fun. Were it not there, almost no one would want it added. And those who do like it could almost surely live without it, while many of those who don't like it may very well have strong feelings about it.

- that said, Bluenoser's suggestion would make the storyline (replacing 'child' with 'family member') far more palatable to all users, and I think that would be an improvement.

- There are certain storylines I'd like to see that other people might dislike. I want player personalities to matter, and I want to see a Milton Bradley or a Denny Neagle or a Kengshill Pujols in my game. I think there should be a category of 'unsavory' storyline that is disabled by default, but which users could elect to enable. I think then everyone can be happy with the types of storylines they see.
Two terrific posts in a row.

- Bru

Closed Thread