Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 12:58 PM   #41
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by coljesep View Post
Hi lukasberger - I'm questioning the thought process and the need for the feature. Not the realistic nature of the sad truth that it can happen. Does it need to be in the game to make the game realistic? The answer is no. Just as a Christopher Lane situation doesn't need to be added, or Lyman Bostick, or Nick Adenhart, or Darryl Kile, or an Aaron Hernandez type situation. You do not NEED those stories to make the storyline feature enjoyable.
Hi. You're right. I'd absolutely agree that you don't NEED these types of stories to make the storylines enjoyable.

That being said I'd personally be more for adding the chance of players dying. It would be more realistic.

But I can see where the idea of playing a game like OOTP is a chance to escape from the harsh realities of life.

So while I personally don't see the need to remove the feature, I can respect that you do. Guess I really don't have much else to add.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:14 PM   #42
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Just curious, do other family members ever die as part of these storylines? For example, a wife.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:22 PM   #43
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Just curious, do other family members ever die as part of these storylines? For example, a wife.
IIRC, yes.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:26 PM   #44
ashantewarrier
Hall Of Famer

If you don't like storylines just turn it off. Even better you can edit the XML files to modify storylines. Simple as that.
Many of us like the storylines and have no problems with the way they run.
That's the great thing about OOTP, users can customize the game to whatever they want.
-Jackie Robinson, #42 Brooklyn Dodgers

"Hitting is better than sex." - Reggie Jackson

Last edited by ashantewarrier; 08-21-2013 at 01:28 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:29 PM   #45
eriqjaffe
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomaniac View Post
IIRC, yes.
Yet the players themselves never die. It's good to know that playing baseball is, apparently, the ticket to immortality.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:32 PM   #46
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

I really, REALLY shouldn't be contributing to this argument, but here we go...

I'm okay with Markus & Co. leaving this storyline in after the first discussion about the issue. I didn't want them to take it out simply because it's not politically correct (and yes, despite whatever anyone may say, that's what it boils down to - censoring yourself to avoid backlash is trying to be politically correct). If there was an overwhelming majority asking them to take it out, however, that's a different story - but from what I've seen in both this discussion and the last, it's pretty much split 50/50.

Now, if you disagree with this specific storyline, I would take Bluenoser's advice and write the dev team directly. And be calm about it, please - present some constructive reasoning and politely ask that this storyline be changed. Don't go nuts on the forum and then wonder why people insult you back.

That's all. There's no need to spawn a massive argument about this. It's just a game.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:33 PM   #47
Mr. Baseball
All Star Starter

Owners have been dying since the beginning of time in OOTP. This isn't anything new.

Duluth Danger (HBL) Dynasty Report -- Online League Franchise
Duluth - 1985/1989 North League Champions!

Old 08-21-2013, 01:46 PM   #48
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Baseball View Post
Owners have been dying since the beginning of time in OOTP. This isn't anything new.
That's another issue that has controversy. I'm fine with owners dying, but I rarely if ever see an owner decide to either simply retire and have someone else take over, or sell the team. I would certainly like a few more differences in how ownership changes.

Even something as simple as owners changing their moods over time. Maybe you get a storyline in the offseason that Mr Smith's other business ventures have taken a turn for the worse recently, and he has decided to cut back on your budget. Or the opposite, where he has been really pleased with the team, and has decided to open his books up. It is a little tedious having your owner with the exact same personality for the 20-30 years, at which point he dies and his son always takes over.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:49 PM   #49
JMDurron
All Star Starter

I suppose this comes down to what the purpose of various immersion features in OOTP really is - are the features there to increase enjoyment, or to increase realism? This kind of storyline is a great example of how there is a difference between the two. Players should die, if we want OOTP to be realistic. It might not be more enjoyable for them to die instead of looking like guys who drank from the wrong cup in Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade when they hit 180 years old, but it would certainly be more realistic.

Personally, I lean towards the realism angle, within reason. Of course, my reasons and someone else's reasons are going to differ, so lines have to be drawn somewhere. Personally, I'd prefer to see players die of old age, retire to become broadcasters (there's a storyline for you - have a player retire, if that player played for a significant amount of time for that team, he gets a story when he heads into the broadcast booth, and then again when he retires from it), get in legal trouble, or even die tragically (one random Yankee goes flying every 25 years or so...). Those were in descending order of preference.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:54 PM   #50
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Just inserting my opinion in here before reading the rest of the thread (my opinion will not change as a result):

I hear both sides and I feel that tragedy is a part of life, and therefore baseball, and should be reflected in the game occasionally. However, I would settle for "death in the family" rather than a storyline about somebody's son or daughter passing away, and I certainly would object to going to the extreme of including something like "a feeder league player getting shot and killed while he's out for a jog by bored teenagers" in this game.

- Bru

Old 08-21-2013, 01:59 PM   #51
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by coljesep View Post
You're looking at this from a solo player perspective. I'm looking at it from a game developer/business perspective.

You shouldn't tell your customers "if you don't like kids dying in the game, then edit the story line files" that's bad business.

I don't remember seeing players die via heart issues, players getting into drunk driving accidents, players beating their wives, players caught gambling - all of this stuff happens to - but it doesn't appear to be in the game. Why? Because they add nothing to the game.

0 people will play this game and say "This game isn't realistic because nobody's kid died" - Fact.

If 1 person (customer) says "I haven't seen this and I hope I don't." then it shouldn't be in the game.

All it does it make the OOTP franchise look bad for including it.

You want kids dying in the game? Cool - then you be the one to edit the storylines.

Me, I want the game to include what it needs to include to make it an entertaining distraction from real life. Having a players child die doesn't do that - it just makes me question the game developers thought process.
I have to admit, this fellow is sticking to his guns (no pun intended) and making a darned good case.

- Bru

Old 08-21-2013, 02:01 PM   #52
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
what's the big deal?...it happens IRL
Well, you are taking the chance of unnecessarily (key word) offending someone who actually had something like this happen to him IRL.

- Bru

Old 08-21-2013, 02:03 PM   #53
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UWHabs View Post
That's another issue that has controversy. I'm fine with owners dying, but I rarely if ever see an owner decide to either simply retire and have someone else take over, or sell the team. I would certainly like a few more differences in how ownership changes.

Even something as simple as owners changing their moods over time. Maybe you get a storyline in the offseason that Mr Smith's other business ventures have taken a turn for the worse recently, and he has decided to cut back on your budget. Or the opposite, where he has been really pleased with the team, and has decided to open his books up. It is a little tedious having your owner with the exact same personality for the 20-30 years, at which point he dies and his son always takes over.
This has actually improved in 14 I believe. I've seen a realistic number of owners selling the team besides dying and leaving it to jr. Used to be always left to jr, now the variety has gotten much better. Still room to improve though.

On your second point, I like that idea. There was a Ponzi scheme storyline in OOTP that affected fan loyalty but it was way too extreme. That was scaled down for this year. But yes, personalities should change to coincide with real life business/mood swings.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:05 PM   #54
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

All that has to be done is change "Death of Child" to read "Death in the Family".

I'm pretty sure most people could accept that much realism? Or am I wrong?
Old 08-21-2013, 02:11 PM   #55
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UWHabs View Post

IIRC Owners can sell teams, but it's pretty rare.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:14 PM   #56
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomaniac View Post
IIRC Owners can sell teams, but it's pretty rare.
Not so rare at all. I've seen more teams sold this ver than death being the cause of change.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:19 PM   #57
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
All that has to be done is change "Death of Child" to read "Death in the Family".

I'm pretty sure most people could accept that much realism? Or am I wrong?
Seriously. This is a good compromise.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:46 PM   #58
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
I say this every time this subject comes up:

TURN STORYLINES OFF.

And keep them off. This is a baseball sim, not the Jerry Springer Show.
Except for the fact that off-the-field incidents in real life do accept a club's lineup, such as when a player goes on bereavement leave or paternity leave. That said, OOTP doesn't recreate those sorts of inactive lists so it's a moot point from that perspective.

I think team-level storylines/events would be an interesting addition. There have been incidents at the team level in real life which have impacted things. The most obvious is when a club was forced to abandon its normal home park for one reason or another, sometimes for an extended period of time. Another is amateur draft choices which were voided for one reason or another.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:04 PM   #59
redsman1
Bat Boy

this topic has brought back painful memories. i saw the skiing storyline and i remember how crushed i was when i heard that sonny bono had an unfortunate accident while skiing. I could avoid those feelings by disabling the storylines but i enjoy having them turned on. It is what i feel sonny would want me to do. he would want me to keep pressing that next day button, he would want me to send out my best lineup each and every day in pursuit of that elusive world series ring. i think i will have my team play I GOT YOU BABE during the 7th inning stretch of every remaining home game for the rest of this season. or maybe i will just get a rally monkey
Old 08-21-2013, 03:19 PM   #60
Rizon
Hall Of Famer

I treat Storylines like 7-Up: Never have, never will.