Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 07-17-2013, 05:12 PM   #1
aadam
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Pitching & simming current at bat

I play pitch-by-pitch when batting but leave defense and pitching strategy to the team manager and sim each at bat of opposing teams (by pressing enter/space or using the controls at the bottom).

When siming an at bat, does the game use the pitching settings specified on the team strategy screen? I guess pitch around frequency could make a difference (for example, high for good control pitchers, low for those who struggle).

And generally, how do people feel about the advantage of controlling each pitch, instead of leaving it to the manager? I dare not to do it myself because I don't know how often I should pitch around.

(I play with Baltimore, started with OOTP 2013 rosters, and my rotation is Wada-Matusz-Bedard-Arrieta-Stauffer (3 lefties) and they're terrible. My pitching was predicted to be dead last in the league (and the overall record to be under .400), is that the indication of an extremely bad rotation?)
aadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:38 PM   #2
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

If you notice, you have many more options to choose from if YOU control the pitching in the game. Otherwise, you are relying on the AI to strategize and you may have noticed that there are only two items in Team Strategy that control in-game pitching: Pitch Around and Intentional Walk.

I am a firm believer that, once you know what you are doing, you can influence results to a great degree with your own sound strategies, the more control you take. So, leave it up to the AI if you don't feel self-confident but my advice is to take control once in a while so that you do get a feel for it and gain confidence. Your results will improve, I wager.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:44 PM   #3
Cinnamon J. Scudworth
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam View Post
I play pitch-by-pitch when batting but leave defense and pitching strategy to the team manager and sim each at bat of opposing teams (by pressing enter/space or using the controls at the bottom).
I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that is basically the same thing as using one-pitch mode (and similarly giving up control to the manager). For what it's worth.

But yes, it's using the team strategy settings.
"Sometimes, this is like going to a grocery store. You’ve got a list until you get to the check-out stand. And then you start reading People magazine, and all this other [stuff] ends up in the basket."

-Sandy Alderson on the MLB offseason
Cinnamon J. Scudworth is offline   Reply With Quote