Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 03:29 PM   #21
SurfRat61
Minors (Double A)

I tend to over do it on the backups, like after every game almost. And I copy all files. How hard is it?
Explanation on the crash? There is none. It all depends on how your computer is setup, what's in the cache, what's running in background, etc.
Not saving regularly means your relying on your cache memory to not hiccup. Even something simple as a shock or power spike (surge) can corrupt your data.
Relax and just start over. OOTP is a solid game. Lesson learned.

Good luck!

Last edited by SurfRat61; 06-27-2013 at 03:46 PM. Reason: sp
Old 06-27-2013, 03:34 PM   #22
mpejkrm
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonezone View Post
sorry dude, your wrong. called building a great farm system and putting a lot into it. never once forced a trade. douche.
Dude he was kidding, chill out. I can see how you build a great farm.

But again, this sucks, we get it. The game shouldn't do this.

But enable save to every day. It takes a minute at most to save. Backup every week. Takes 20 minutes at most to backup. I backup my games when I go out of the house and leave my laptop behind. Easy.

BTW, Mogul isn't as good at all. Mogul has a LOT of bugs and nowhere NEAR the fictional capability of OOTP. Plus, Markus listens to his users. Stick with it dude, it's OK.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:38 PM   #23
Charlie Hough
Hall Of Famer

The OP brings up a valid point, and I reported a similar bug during beta testing. Fortunately, in my case, I was able to do some clicking around and eventually get the game to respond and exit properly. But there are still some occasions when the GUI can lock up.

Markus has worked on fixing this, but he can't always reproduce the instances. It should only happen rarely, but users of ANY software application should always back up their data and files. This is standard practice for any product, and you will not find ANY application that is 100% bug free. So protect yourself by assuming that unexpected glitches can happen and back up your files. You can even configure OOTP to auto-save for your so you don't have to worry about it.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:47 PM   #24
Painmantle
Hall Of Famer

my auto save is set to every day... it takes the game about 5 seconds after I advance to the next day to save that day and guess what? I've never lost any games!!!!

Amazing what some simple common sense can achieve in the imperfect world of computers!
“As soon as I got out there I felt a strange relationship with the pitcher's mound. It was as if I'd been born out there. Pitching just felt like the most natural thing in the world. Striking out batters was easy.” -Babe Ruth
“Ruth made a grave mistake when he gave up pitching. Working once a week, he might have lasted a long time and become a great star.”-Tris Speaker
My Dynasties
The Beantown Bambino
Old 06-27-2013, 03:49 PM   #25
sprague
All Star Starter

i tend not to use a backup
instead every 3-4 years i save the game as a template, takes seconds, then in 4 years i earase the earlier template- to save some room

that is about a 2 second job, and i can lose a year if something odd happens, but i find template save is easiest. i would only have to reload the caps, unis and player photos- if fictional well the fictional guys after "a crash" will look slightly different
Old 06-27-2013, 03:53 PM   #26
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
sorry dude, your wrong. called building a great farm system and putting a lot into it. never once forced a trade. douche.
Let's put a halt to the potentially offensive name-calling right now.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:03 PM   #27
Gil Thorp
Major Leagues

Quote:
Well your word choice here caused me to lose any sympathy I might have had. Enjoy Baseball Mogul.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:10 PM   #28
SandMan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
i am on the 2019 season.

I just won the world series and was in offseason mode.

A trade proposal had occurred so i opened the further discuss screen.

from there the whole screen locked up.

now, i could hit the "x" in the top right corner window.

And then it asked if i was sure i wanted to exit the program.

I thought "simple solution, i will close, it saves like always, and i will restart."

Oh, but funny thing happened, it wouldn't let me hit OK. So no, i could not get the program to close, and the only thing that was not locked was the x in the top right corner. and i tried that again, but, all it does is reinforce the "are you sure you want to exit" message. I CANT HIT OK THOUGH!

So i had to terminate the process. Lost the last third of my season. re-simmed. didn't win it all this time.

So, i am now done with this game.

Thanks for wasting my 40 bucks and thanks for ruining something i found enjoyable.

it wasn't a computer problem...everything else on my computer worked just fine. It was a program problem.

And if i put something on the market, and made people pay 40 damn bucks of their hard-earned money, i would damn sure make sure the program works 100%

Unacceptable. I am done - time to retire.

Maybe ill try baseball mogul - never had this happen when i used them 5 years ago.

How did you get to the next season and then lose your last third of the season. You stated your game froze in the off season, the year before this season. I just find a few holes in your story. Maybe this did not happen. The bold quote is why I think that this is just a post from a troll.

Last edited by SandMan; 06-27-2013 at 04:11 PM.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:13 PM   #29
SandMan
Hall Of Famer

DOLA

My bad if the OP just played a season after he could not close the app with out terminating the process.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:14 PM   #30
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Is he gone?

Good. Ok, then I will duck back in here to reinforce what a couple of guys have already said. That is, game crashes are usually not the fault of the program itself. If it was, then many, many of us would be reporting the problem.

Therefore, most of the time computer programs crash because the computer itself has a problem. The game crashes because that is the program you are running at the time. The computer has run out of resources (memory), file space, has overheated, whatever.

The other major cause of a game crash are corrupted files. These files can become corrupted because of two things: 1) The user customizes them, or 2) The league becomes so large that the program makes a mistake somewhere. Even here, the user is at fault indirectly; don't make mega-universes.

I don't trust ANY computer program. For example, when I am working in EXCEL, the product of mega-monolith Microsoft, I am hitting CTRL-S every few minutes, having LEARNED THE HARD WAY.

So the final thing to agree with the experienced players is, backup your game as OFTEN AS YOU DON'T MIND LOSING RESULTS if your game does crash and burn. If that's every day, back up every day. If you wouldn't mind losing a week, then back up weekly, and so on.

Jeez, if I freaked out every time this game did crash on me, no way I would be here for seven years now. But I am.

- Bru

Old 06-27-2013, 04:16 PM   #31
tonezone
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandMan View Post
How did you get to the next season and then lose your last third of the season. You stated your game froze in the off season, the year before this season. I just find a few holes in your story. Maybe this did not happen. The bold quote is why I think that this is just a post from a troll.
let me clearly explain for you, the lil troll i am (seriously?).

i was at roughly, around the 150 gm mark of 162 game season (maybe a little less) when i had opened my game this morning from the previous days save. i played from that point through the world series - which i won.

i was at the point where i was a few days before arbitration hearings began.

that is when this happened, this losing everything from game 140-150 through the arbitration period in the offseason.

i hope my lil troll self cleared things up for you.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:17 PM   #32
SandMan
Hall Of Famer

nm
Old 06-27-2013, 04:19 PM   #33
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

i was at roughly, around the 150 gm mark of 162 game season (maybe a little less) when i had opened my game this morning from the previous days save. i played from that point through the world series - which i won.

that is when this happened, this losing everything from game 140-150 through the arbitration period in the offseason.

Another troll clue: People who say they are done, then hang around for hours debating (and expanding/bumping their threads). If you are done, why don't you leave? Beat it already!

- Bru

Old 06-27-2013, 04:27 PM   #34
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

And I did not read the message that you just sent me. Here's the proposal: If you've had it with OOTPB, why not sign off here now and go over to the Baseball Mogul site? Why are you still hanging around here, hmmm?

Edit: Didn't read the second message either, fella. Don't let the door hit you in the ass.

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 06-27-2013 at 04:34 PM.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:29 PM   #35
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

I guess this is as good a place as any to ask this(no need to start a new thread), are any of you still experiencing the occasional game lockup? I don't get a ton, but I still go get them. Usually they come following the box telling me I have a message or when a player is ready to come off the DL. Hitting Esc quickly solves the problem.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:33 PM   #36
Bowtie
All Star Starter

Quote:
Not for me. Here's where I get stuck at:

Quote:
losing everything from game 140-150 through the arbitration period in the offseason.
Why would you go that long without making a backup? Was you aware that you can make backups as often as you wish?

Aside from that, blaming OOTP for something that's beyond its control is pretty ridiculous. Its one thing to come into the community and vent but was the name calling really that necessary?

Old 06-27-2013, 04:48 PM   #37
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
You lost any possible sympathy or future help from me when you wrote that. Enjoy Baseball Mogul.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:51 PM   #38
mattb_222
Minors (Single A)

I think this whole thing is just a put-on of some sort. Has this cat really never experienced a pc game crash before? Welcome to life.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:55 PM   #39
Bowtie
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
You lost any possible sympathy or future help from me when you wrote that. Enjoy Baseball Mogul.
Me thinks he lost any sympathy and any possible future help from many of us here.

Old 06-27-2013, 04:58 PM   #40
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicavenger74 View Post
Should any computer program lock up? No. But they do. I've lost work before working on Excel, doesn't mean that I quit using excel, it means that I save. Seriously self admitted you had a lot of fun with this game, why make another bad decision and stop playing it. Best thing to do is start over where you can and take this as a learning experience.
This. You act like you've never had a "The program has encountered an unexpected error" message. Software freezes. Software crashes. Hard drives fry. Data isn't always recoverable. It happens. Your important files should be backed up on a hard drive, or with a cloud-based service. That's pretty much the number one rule for working with computers. Back-up your important files.

Look, I sympathize with you. I once lost THREE YEARS of my fictional league because of a crash. But I didn't rage at the developers because of it. I recognized that it was pretty much my fault for having a 3-year-old backup, and I learned from my mistakes. Since then, I back up my games every in-game week, if not every other day. If you consider your saved games to be important, then you should be backing them up. And if you don't, you shouldn't be making a fuss on the forums over it.
Closed Thread