Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 06-12-2013, 02:24 AM   #1
ChrisG
Minors (Triple A)

(Minor) name origin distribution adjustments

Hey all,

I don't know if this is the correct place for this, but I was bored and exploring the game world in commissioner mode tonight, and noticed the name origin distribution in the Nation Editor. I love the attention to detail paid in this (even in non-baseball countries like Argentina, for example) section, but there were a few countries that could use some minor adjustments:

Nicaragua (100% Hispanic by default) should probably have ~5% (or more) names from a "UK" origin. There's a decent population of Afro-Caribbean people around the coast and some of them have played in the majors. (e.g. Marvin Benard, David Green, Devern Hansack, Albert Williams)

The Netherlands Antilles (which doesn't exist anymore but that's another thing entirely) should have some percentage of names from a "UK" background (e.g. Andrelton Simmons, Andruw Jones, Curt Smith). Not sure what the percentage would be. (It's 100% Dutch by default)

Panama, same deal. (Roberto Kelly, Ben Ogilvie, etc.) Possibly include a small percentage of Chinese surnames as well? (Bruce Chen, minor leaguer Gerald Chin, Carlos Lee) (100% Hispanic by default)

South Africa (80% African/18% UK/2% Indian) should probably have a decent percentage of Dutch surnames.

I know this is a really minor/nitpicky thing, but it just makes the game that much more realistic and I'm sure it's pretty doable.
ChrisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:44 AM   #2
albatross11
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisG View Post
Hey all,

I don't know if this is the correct place for this, but I was bored and exploring the game world in commissioner mode tonight, and noticed the name origin distribution in the Nation Editor. I love the attention to detail paid in this (even in non-baseball countries like Argentina, for example) section, but there were a few countries that could use some minor adjustments:

Nicaragua (100% Hispanic by default) should probably have ~5% (or more) names from a "UK" origin. There's a decent population of Afro-Caribbean people around the coast and some of them have played in the majors. (e.g. Marvin Benard, David Green, Devern Hansack, Albert Williams)

The Netherlands Antilles (which doesn't exist anymore but that's another thing entirely) should have some percentage of names from a "UK" background (e.g. Andrelton Simmons, Andruw Jones, Curt Smith). Not sure what the percentage would be. (It's 100% Dutch by default)

Panama, same deal. (Roberto Kelly, Ben Ogilvie, etc.) Possibly include a small percentage of Chinese surnames as well? (Bruce Chen, minor leaguer Gerald Chin, Carlos Lee) (100% Hispanic by default)

South Africa (80% African/18% UK/2% Indian) should probably have a decent percentage of Dutch surnames.

I know this is a really minor/nitpicky thing, but it just makes the game that much more realistic and I'm sure it's pretty doable.

You can change those yourself...to anything you like.

albatross
albatross11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:12 AM   #3
ChrisG
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross11 View Post
You can change those yourself...to anything you like.
Right, I know. I just thought it would be good for those to be changed by default (esp. for those who aren't aware it can be changed). Like I said, a very minor thing.
ChrisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:59 AM   #4
Charlie Hough
Hall Of Famer

If you can do the research and help determine what the percentages should be, you could always provide a file to Andreas Raht, who handles this area of the game for OOTP Developments.

If the information is solid and has some provable basis in reality, the company is very open to contributions from users who are willing to do the work and help improve the game.
Charlie Hough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:25 PM   #5
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
And by all means please post this as a suggestion in the OOTP 15 suggestions forum.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:21 PM   #6
MUFC1878
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisG View Post
Hey all,

Add to that: Venezuela (default: Hispanic 80, Portuguese 12, Italian 8) should be Hispanic 84%, Portuguese 3%, Italian 3%, Spanish 10%. There's a small German community, maybe 1% to represent it.
MUFC1878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:41 PM   #7
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

I always wonder about this aspect: how have the name distributions changed over time? I doubt if the distribution has remained static over the history of the country. Seems to me it's another area where there ought to be new distribution data at least once every ten years.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote