Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 06-07-2013, 01:06 PM   #21
PhillieFever
Hall Of Famer

Some ultra rare death would be alright with me, but I definitely could see how some folks would be put off.
PhillieFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:31 PM   #22
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico (formally San Diego, CA.)
So I can start a season in the year 2080 and just unretire Babe Ruth and have him bat clean-up? Not realistic
Padreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:56 PM   #23
Mr. Baseball
All Star Starter

Every time an owner dies his son takes over with the same name.

I killed my owner once...he was too stingy with money, had to go.

Duluth Danger (HBL) Dynasty Report -- Online League Franchise
Duluth - 1985/1989 North League Champions!

Last edited by Mr. Baseball; 06-07-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Mr. Baseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:30 PM   #24
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillieFever View Post
Some ultra rare death would be alright with me, but I definitely could see how some folks would be put off.
It's rare, but it happens. It even happens to really good players, like Lou Gehrig, Ross Youngs, Addie Joss, Ed Delahanty, Roberto Clemente - all Hall-of-Famers whose careers were cut short by death - not to mention high-caliber players who died mid-season, like Ray Chapman, Lyman Bostock, Thurman Munson, and Darryl Kile. It's simply unrealistic to ignore death as one among many ways that ball players leave the game.
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:45 PM   #25
olivertheorem
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padreman View Post
So I can start a season in the year 2080 and just unretire Babe Ruth and have him bat clean-up? Not realistic
Skills deteriorate, so no you couldn't. Well, you could, but he'd suck.
olivertheorem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:30 PM   #26
Elektranaut
Major Leagues

Maybe its time to create a seniors league..age qualification would be 50 to 75 then they would be forced to retire and move up to the old timers league...age qualification 76 to 99...and then to the B.A.B.L.(barely alive baseball league) ages 100 to 120.....and then......the O.L.S.L (On life support League ) for all players on life support machines.
Elektranaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:53 AM   #27
jallan7982
Bat Boy

Fans of 2017, meet your 1900-1920 all stars!

I had a historic game I'd started in the late 60's in OOTP 13, and by 2017 I was about ready to start a new one as this one had gotten kinda tired due a bunch of nobody's on Cleveland's team turned into mega-superstars and the league got all wonky ... just on a lark, I unretired a few guys and suited them up... Cy Young, Christy Mathewson, Ty Cobb, Babe Ruth and Cap Anson (!!).. I set them up in the lineup, froze the rotation and rosters, and played out the season. The 100+ year old pitchers didn't fare too well with the total lack of speed and control (even though Matty actually won 2 games!), but the batters.... Cap only hit .120, but he hit 5 doubles as a 130 year old.. Ty stole 5 bases, and the Babe hit 6 homers! Heck, Ty was 'player of the week' in the AL a couple times even! At the end of the season, I officially retired them all - and the fans had a fit that Ruth retired! Shouda traded him to the Red Sox or something to really set them off.
jallan7982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:15 PM   #28
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott1964 View Post
No, they just fade away.
May it stay like this. I am hoping that, by playing OOTPB non-stop for days, months, years at a time, I will finally achieve Tron-like nirvana by being sucked into the game, thereby attaining immortality in virtual reality.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:11 PM   #29
boshk
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivertheorem View Post
I don't understand Markus' reasons for not having player death. It seems to me that you could avoid the zombie issue by forcing the game check for a "retired" flag before the death event could occur.

You don't have to have guys die while still active (though, as a one-in-a-million event, it wouldn't be so bad).
does the game even check for a "coach" tag yet? in previous versions i have had upwards of 5 or more of the same former player becoming a coach.
boshk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:24 PM   #30
olivertheorem
All Star Starter

I have no idea what flags of this nature are used, though I'm pretty sure there are ones for the various statuses which prevent particular transactions. I have no idea how hard it would be to set up a flag such as I mentioned. For your purpose, the better use would be a table storing the player IDs for those made into coaches, and the game has to check the table for a duplicate before making a coach out of a particular retired player.

Though I am not a programmer.
olivertheorem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:12 PM   #31
Scruff
Minors (Triple A)

The real life transactions have players going from retired to deceased on their death dates. Not sure if that means anything, maybe just makes it a news item or something? I haven't gotten to the point of simming yet with the real life transactions, so I'm not sure how it plays out. But death dates are definitely in there.
Scruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:17 AM   #32
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Thorp View Post
So having a 120 year old manager is more realistic that a zombie one?
Man, that's a tough question.

It should have been a poll.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:04 AM   #33
Silent_Thunder
Minors (Triple A)

If its about how tasteful having people "die" would be, I'd suggest just having them labled as "Left the Buisness" at an age around 70-80 with a reasonable margin of errors. This would be a step beyond simply retiring, because they'd still be gone for good.

Last edited by Silent_Thunder; 07-06-2013 at 01:05 AM.
Silent_Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:00 AM   #34
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico (formally San Diego, CA.)
I still say death
Padreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:34 PM   #35
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

I would love to see them die and Marcus just has to do something about it as it's hurting the experience. There are other alternatives to death.

I hate seeing age 120 so remove the age and change to "Born 120 years ago" ... or even "[pro] debuted 100 years ago" at that point their age is irrelevant.

In the end, the fans like realism, and I vote for the Grim Reaper in ootp.

Last edited by dave1927p; 07-06-2013 at 10:36 PM.
dave1927p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:22 PM   #36
stevebydac
All Star Reserve

Maybe a simple standard as everyone dies and is removed from the game at 95 years old? Let's just not make it 70 or 75 please. I just hit 50 myself so I'm getting sensitive about these things.

stevebydac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:54 PM   #37
Gator
Minors (Double A)

Is it possible for older players to move to a Field of Dreams in say Iowa?
Baseball will take our people out-of-doors, fill them with oxygen, give them a larger physical stoicism. Tend to relieve us from being a nervous, dyspeptic set, Repair these losses, and be a blessing to us.
Walt Whitman
Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:10 PM   #38
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

did anyone bring back their 90 year old HOF? I wouldn't mind seeing a screenshot on how he did
Old 07-10-2013, 10:32 PM   #39
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padreman View Post
Yeah but I dont see that as the games fault. It would really unrealistic for you or anyone to unretire Ruth that age. Though of course thats a persons own choice but I dont think agame should be called unrealistic if we are the ones that are causing it to be unrealistic.
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:56 PM   #40
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1927p View Post
did anyone bring back their 90 year old HOF? I wouldn't mind seeing a screenshot on how he did
Thats kind of like the what would Ty Cobb hit at 74 years old joke.
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote