Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 05-06-2013, 08:45 PM   #1
Bobble
Hall Of Famer

"The player is injured, put him on the DL instead!"

Hey, thanks for the advice but I'd like to ship him down to AAA anyway ... but I can't! Is there some MLB rule that says that a guy who is day-to-day can't change leagues? How about making this a "would you like to move him anyway, yes/no" pop-up?

Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:48 PM   #2
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Can an injured player be sent down? Not sure if that is allowed in the CBA.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:08 PM   #3
byzeil
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Can an injured player be sent down? Not sure if that is allowed in the CBA.
I don't believe, in MLB, that an injured player can be sent down. There was a Phillies player 2 seasons ago who was sent down but he claimed he was injured and the Players Association filed a grievance. The difference is what they get paid, on the major league DL they get their major league salary and accumulate major league service time.

Last edited by byzeil; 05-06-2013 at 09:13 PM.
byzeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:10 PM   #4
Raidergoo
Hall Of Famer

http://mlbplayers.mlb.com/pa/pdf/cba_english.pdf

Page 80 of the CBA (page 93 of the PDF) has the relevant data.

Players who are injured and not able to play may not be assigned to
a Minor League club

I think a good case could be made to allow players with a dtd injury to be demoted.
Raidergoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:14 PM   #5
Bobble
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raidergoo View Post
http://mlbplayers.mlb.com/pa/pdf/cba_english.pdf

Page 80 of the CBA (page 93 of the PDF) has the relevant data.

Players who are injured and not able to play may not be assigned to
a Minor League club
Fascists!

Quote:
I think a good case could be made to allow players with a dtd injury to be demoted.
Hear! Hear!

Old 05-06-2013, 09:40 PM   #6
sc_superstar
Major Leagues

That, along with the salary issue is why that rule is in place to prevent teams from manipulating the option rules, plus actual MLB rules have limits on how long in between call ups IIRC
sc_superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:44 PM   #7
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Yes, DTD injuries should allow demotions, promotions, and trades. I'd put a report or suggestion to this affect last year, IIRC, and thought it'd been implemented. Maybe it was just trades. Regardless, I'll check into it again. Yeah, a blister on a finger shouldn't be preventing these kinds of transactions, IMHO.

Found it and moved it up in line for review.

Last edited by endgame; 05-06-2013 at 09:48 PM.
endgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:58 PM   #8
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
Hear! Hear!
The whole idea is preposterous.

Players optioned to the minors have to stay 10 days before being recalled.

Would you expect the player to play in the minors perhaps aggravating the injury? If he's not expected to play how does that work for the minor league team roster if you want to send 4-5 players down.

What benefit would the player or team get from sending a player needing treatment to a minor league facility with unfamiliar trainers doctors and therapists.

Why would you ask a player with a sore back for example to pack and fly/drive to a different city? High risk of aggravating the injury and reduced treatment options as above.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
Old 05-06-2013, 10:00 PM   #9
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by endgame View Post
Yes, DTD injuries should allow demotions, promotions, and trades. I'd put a report or suggestion to this affect last year, IIRC, and thought it'd been implemented. Maybe it was just trades. Regardless, I'll check into it again. Yeah, a blister on a finger shouldn't be preventing these kinds of transactions, IMHO.

Found it and moved it up in line for review.
Actually a finger blister on a pitcher is exactly why he shouldn't be sent down. Can he pitch in the minors with the blister?

RichW

Old 05-06-2013, 10:08 PM   #10
Raidergoo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

What benefit would the player or team get from sending a player needing treatment to a minor league facility with unfamiliar trainers doctors and therapists.

Why would you ask a player with a sore back for example to pack and fly/drive to a different city? High risk of aggravating the injury and reduced treatment options as above.
There's no need to actually have a benefit. The owner/GM could just be a vindictive SOB, like Charlie Finley.
Raidergoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:14 PM   #11
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
There's no need to actually have a benefit. The owner/GM could just be a vindictive SOB, like Charlie Finley.
True and that's why MLB has a very player friendly CBA.

RichW

Old 05-06-2013, 10:17 PM   #12
byzeil
Hall Of Famer

If the player is injured, even day-to-day, while playing on the major league roster that is where he belongs, roster or DL, until he is healthy and can play where ever he is sent. Most DtD injuries are pretty short term anyways so waiting for it to heal shouldn't be that big an issue and if it is then put him on the DL.
byzeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:39 PM   #13
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Hmmm...interesting thoughts. Thanks.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:43 PM   #14
olivertheorem
All Star Starter

I think that if a players is officially declared "day-to-day" by the team, that he counts as injured for the purposes of being demoted to the minors in the CBA.
olivertheorem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:03 PM   #15
Postman
Major Leagues

Quote:
Is that enforced in the game?
Postman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:17 PM   #16
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postman View Post
Is that enforced in the game?
No but I wish it was. It changes your perception of things.

RichW

Old 05-06-2013, 11:32 PM   #17
BusterKing
Hall Of Famer

Maybe Markus can have an option that makes it that we will follow all MLB rules and if that option isn't checked then we can change anything we want.

Like they like to say when promoting this game: "Play it your way".
BusterKing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:23 AM   #18
Bobble
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The whole idea is preposterous.

Would you expect the player to play in the minors perhaps aggravating the injury? If he's not expected to play how does that work for the minor league team roster if you want to send 4-5 players down.

Preposterity aside, if that's what I want to do and it's not against an MLB rule, then I ought to be allowed to do it.

In this particular case, it was this certain player's last chance. I intended to send him to AAA unless he had a great game today. He gets a day-to-day injury for 14 days (and goes 0-5) so I'm "stuck" with him. Or maybe I REALLY need a win and I don't want to use a guy whose 23% less effective when I have someone at AAA who can play.

Regarding the actual injured-players-can't-be demoted rule, the pop-up should be reworded. I'd suggest something more informative like, "Injured players can't be demoted by rule, only put on the DL."

Old 05-07-2013, 08:47 AM   #19
sc_superstar
Major Leagues

It is against MLB rule to demote players just because they are injured, if he has a 14 day injury, you put him on the 15 day DL and call up whomever you need to, you can have a player on the DL for longer than they are injured, just like you can have an injured player on the DL for longer than 15 days.

My own personal style, if its a fringe player, anything over 3-5 days, they are going on the DL, i would rather pay someone to be on the DL than have an effective 24 man roster
sc_superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:59 AM   #20
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
Preposterity aside, if that's what I want to do and it's not against an MLB rule, then I ought to be allowed to do it.

In this particular case, it was this certain player's last chance. I intended to send him to AAA unless he had a great game today. He gets a day-to-day injury for 14 days (and goes 0-5) so I'm "stuck" with him. Or maybe I REALLY need a win and I don't want to use a guy whose 23% less effective when I have someone at AAA who can play.

Regarding the actual injured-players-can't-be demoted rule, the pop-up should be reworded. I'd suggest something more informative like, "Injured players can't be demoted by rule, only put on the DL."
Simple answer -- put him on the DL and call up the player you wanted to call up. When his 15 days on the DL end, demote him to Triple-A.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote