Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 05-02-2013, 03:14 AM   #41
Minors (Double A)

The problem is during the playoffs and world series, there's not a news story to be found, total media silence -- but then if some fringe long reliever gets scratched by his cat or something, it's front page news.

The weird storylines are not the problem imo, it's the absence of relevant storylines.

I looked at the news log from the last season I played.

Oct. 07 - playoffs begin

Oct. 26 - Dodgers top Royals

Not a single piece of news or storyline concerning anything that happened during the playoffs/world series between the generic "playoffs begin" and "playoffs end" stories.

In between those two events, the other news or storylines were:

Oct. 10 - injury setback for Player X (the player's season was over, so a 3-week setback isn't really news)

Oct. 12 - Player Y Wants Out (pitcher "welcoming a trade" was 2-14, 5.38, season over, expired contract)

Oct. 25 - Player Z May Be Traded (guy demanding trade had 25 total at bats, season over, expired contract)

(there were also a couple of contract extensions and a retirement announcement, but no news or storylines about the playoffs, world series, managers about to be fired, etc. There's not even a announcement on who won the NLCS or ALCS, etc.)

It all makes for a very bizarre and anticlimactic end of a season.

Last edited by 01010010; 05-02-2013 at 03:40 AM.
01010010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:39 AM   #42
damonrusst
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott1964 View Post
What?

Remeber when this happened to Sammy Sosa?
damonrusst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:58 AM   #43
cody8200
Hall Of Famer

I think that storylines will continue to develop but they will always highlight some of the weird/interesting things that happen to players on a year to year basis. They will certainly continue to grow in scope (especially around streaks, player interaction, and universe awareness) but will likely always have things people consider 'weird' that are simply highlighting situations that have occurred in the past that people simply didn't know have happened.

That all being said, maybe someday we will have a way of easily excluding stories that people don't like, or excluding categories of story types. If that happens, people can have the best of both worlds.

Finally, people nearly always mix up storylines and news articles. There are quite a few differences in capability (storylines cannot include stats for example).

A storyline example could be:

Player wrecks car
Team loses 10 straight
Team misses playoffs 10 years straight
Player caught for tax evasion
Players on team hate each other
Player gets injured after PR tirade
Player gains/loses ability due to specific action

News stories can't do any of those above.

News stories include

MVP award (or any other award article)
Typical in-game injury articles
Player demands trade
Player of week
Player of Month
Any news article that lists the games of the week, scores of a specific game, etc.

Those are just some examples but I hope that clears up some things. Hopefully in the future, storylines will have the capability to add in a lot of the things the news articles have access to. At this point, that is not the case.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:59 AM   #44
cody8200
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by damonrusst View Post
Remeber when this happened to Sammy Sosa?
Yes sir, I certainly do. I think he missed several weeks.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:20 AM   #45
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody8200 View Post
Finally, people nearly always mix up storylines and news articles.
Excellent point. I enjoy storylines as icing on the cake, nothing more. What some of the guys have been recommending here are enhancements to the news module, and they are right on in that regard but barking up the wrong tree.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:23 AM   #46
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Some of us want improved news and no storylines.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:29 AM   #47
FoosballWizard
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01010010 View Post
I still don't think I've ever seen a storyline in OOPT 13 or 14 (I do have the option turned on). I'm not even sure what they are. Different that a regular news story?
I just created a new fictional league in 14 and all of a sudden I have storylines popping up. I had the option enabled on my old league that I've been importing since OOTP 11 and I didn't get any storylines.

I suspect something is amiss with storylines and imported leagues.
FoosballWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:06 PM   #48
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

I'll point out a shortcoming with storylines: they don't exist at the team level, only at the player level. If one looks through baseball history one can find a number of interesting events that have happened that would throw a user a curve ball they'd have to handle.

The two most frequent team-level events are (a) something involving the club's home park; and (b) something involving the draft. The former includes such things as a fire or structural accident at a park forcing the club to play a number of home games on the road; the latter includes such things as a draft choice being voided for one reason or another.

Team-level storylines would add another twist and level of immersion...
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:18 PM   #49
Aumakua
Major Leagues

To all those complaining about story lines that force a player to retire, can't you just unretire him and act like he changed his mind? And for any injuries you don't like, just clear the injury in commish mode?

Personally I like story lines because of the randomness which happens in real life.
Aumakua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:15 PM   #50
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aumakua View Post
To all those complaining about story lines that force a player to retire, can't you just unretire him and act like he changed his mind? And for any injuries you don't like, just clear the injury in commish mode?

Personally I like story lines because of the randomness which happens in real life.
Some people don't like using commish mode, as it's a form of "cheating". Sure, that's all a matter of perception, but it's there.

I also like them. Sometimes I don't quite understand what the effect is - Dominguez, my hotshot 3B, spent a couple weeks getting into shouting matches and arguments a few years back. Got suspended for a few games for one of them, I think. But I still don't understand how that affected him. If you include the CEI, I had a top line, surefire HOF 3B who I just signed to a big extension, get hurt, and then suffer a setback and retire at around 28. It sucked, but you just take it as part of the game.

The storylines don't happen often enough to have it be a nuisance - there's maybe a handful of minor stories that maybe causes a player to miss a few days when my guy gets beat up by his wife, and one "major" story every few seasons. It adds some flair, and if it makes me chuckle at what happened, I'll live with my backups for a few days.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:49 PM   #51
Halara
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott1964 View Post
What?

While I'm not particularly excited to admit it. I have personally thrown out my back from sneezing twice in my life (both during my mid 30's). I managed to tweak my neck for a week once due to extreme... hair washing. An in-law of mine at I believe 31 years of age laid himself up with a back injury engaging in the very physical activity of brushing his teeth.

As strange as these injuries may seem. They do happen.
Halara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:23 PM   #52
ingey1968
Minors (Rookie Ball)

didnt Sosa once do that also?
ingey1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:41 PM   #53
scott1964
Hall Of Famer

PETA.....People Eating Tasty Animals.

scott1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:24 PM   #54
dmacgreg37
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by metsguy234 View Post
I had Kyuji Fujikawa have to retire because he went to jail for 5 years due to defrauding investors in some sort of Ponzi scheme. This was 4 games or so into his MLB career.

I thought it was hilarious. Well done.
Same thing happened in mine to Kolbrin Vitek.
dmacgreg37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:32 PM   #55
dmacgreg37
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoosballWizard View Post
I just created a new fictional league in 14 and all of a sudden I have storylines popping up. I had the option enabled on my old league that I've been importing since OOTP 11 and I didn't get any storylines.

I suspect something is amiss with storylines and imported leagues.

My post above talks about the ponzi-scheme. This is a league that has been imported from 12-to 13- now on to 14.

I also had a guy retire to play football as a QB. It made sense to me though, as he had the size, had gone to college, etc. He was progressing through my minor leagues fine, but as a pro prospect in NFL, would've been right choice.
dmacgreg37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:20 PM   #56
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

I have to admit, I like this "story arc" idea! I've been following the "Burchell Affair" for almost two months now. How will it turn out? I'm staying tuned!

And if I miss any "episodes," I can just go to his history page to catch up:
Attached Images

- Bru

Old 05-04-2013, 09:50 PM   #57
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
I have to admit, I like this "story arc" idea! I've been following the "Burchell Affair" for almost two months now. How will it turn out? I'm staying tuned!

This one was in 13.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:20 PM   #58
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG17EASY View Post
This one was in 13.
True, but I'm experiencing them for the first time, really, in 14 because I had storylines off due to the inordinate impact that they could have on the game in the prior version. Now that they have been toned down somewhat, I can enjoy them more.

- Bru

Old 05-06-2013, 11:21 PM   #59
FoosballWizard
Minors (Single A)

Well, they say they're random, but check out his nickname....

Old 05-07-2013, 12:19 AM   #60
FoosballWizard
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post

Got this storyline, and it turned out the guy had been having an affair too. They're all cheaters.