Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 04-14-2013, 10:53 AM   #1
Puckett guy
Major Leagues

Game Continually Hangs

I don't see in the forums that many others are experiencing this, but I am having a persistent problem with OOTP 14 hanging or failing to respond. I experience this frequently when creating a new game, it will go to the screen entitled "copying quick start files" and then freeze and not respond. I have also had this happen during other processing operations such as simming a group of games or finishing out a draft. Sometimes the program will eventually wake up and continue, sometimes not. I never had similar problems with the many previous versions of OOTP that I have played. I have tried reinstalling the game several times with no affect.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:04 AM   #2
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

If it does not respond, it is still computing things in the background. Give it some time, it will come around eventually. Windows sometimes appears to think the game doesn't do anything and no longer reacts, but that is not the case. So it's basically a Windows bug, if you ask me...
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:17 AM   #3
Puckett guy
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
If it does not respond, it is still computing things in the background. Give it some time, it will come around eventually. Windows sometimes appears to think the game doesn't do anything and no longer reacts, but that is not the case. So it's basically a Windows bug, if you ask me...
Markus. Thank you so much for the fast reply. I have always been so impressed with the attention you give your customers. In regards to the processing issue, it just seems so erratic. In creating a game (each time the same MLB game) it will sometimes be done in less than a minute, other times it will indeed stop and fail to respond, I have waited at the same screen for 10+ minutes and nothing happens. Just not sure why. I am running a very fast Windows 7 PC with no other major processing running in the background. However, I will keep at it and see what happens. When the game is running well I love it. Thanks.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:21 AM   #4
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Make sure you have enough disk space and the HD is defragmented, that should help also.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:22 AM   #5
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckett guy View Post
Markus. Thank you so much for the fast reply. I have always been so impressed with the attention you give your customers. In regards to the processing issue, it just seems so erratic. In creating a game (each time the same MLB game) it will sometimes be done in less than a minute, other times it will indeed stop and fail to respond, I have waited at the same screen for 10+ minutes and nothing happens. Just not sure why. I am running a very fast Windows 7 PC with no other major processing running in the background. However, I will keep at it and see what happens. When the game is running well I love it. Thanks.
FWIW, your experience isn't dissimilar to mine. Certain phase in a draft, occasionally Saving Messages, installing the skin files, and even now and then clicking the History button. It can be a little annoying, I know, but it does always seem to pass, as Markus said.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:05 PM   #6
Puckett guy
Major Leagues

I am not seeing on the forum that lots of other people are having this problem so I won't blame OOTP at this point. However, as I said earlier when trying to create a new MLB game it goes to the "copying quick start files" screen and then no progress after that. I have waited 15 minutes and nothing happens. When I mouse click on the screen a windows message comes up stating that "OOTP Baseball 14 is Not Responding". I have 1.2 TB of free disk space and no fragmentation issues with the hard drive. I have no clue what is causing this, but I also doubt it is a windows issue.

Last edited by Puckett guy; 04-14-2013 at 01:06 PM.
Puckett guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:45 PM   #7
Bowtie
All Star Starter

This may be a silly question but...when this happens, do you also have Firefox running and/or Yahoo Messenger? On my Windows XP PC sometimes those two pests will try to hog all the CPU and cause OOTP to stop responding for a while.

Bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:55 PM   #8
Puckett guy
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtie View Post
This may be a silly question but...when this happens, do you also have Firefox running and/or Yahoo Messenger? On my Windows XP PC sometimes those two pests will try to hog all the CPU and cause OOTP to stop responding for a while.
Thanks your suggestion, but I am not running those programs or anything similar.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:08 PM   #9
Puckett guy
Major Leagues

OK I have done some trouble shooting by uninstalling and reinstalling the game several times and at least I can describe the symptom better. My problem occurs when I am trying to create the 3rd or 4th MLB Quick start. Usually the first 2 quick starts are created without problems. After that OOTP hangs on the screen displaying "copying quick start files". A later examination of the file directory shows that in that saved game folder these folders/files were created: News folder, coaches.dat, description, human_managers.dat and names.dat. The rest of the files and folders for that saved game are not created and this is where the program hangs. This problem occurs whether I exit the game or not before creating new quick starts and using the all in one mod also makes no difference.

Sorry for all this detail that will be of no concern to most everyone, but that's the information I have if there is a bug to be found.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:14 PM   #10
Puckett guy
Major Leagues

And I really should have posted all of this in the bug forum which I will do. Sorry
Old 04-14-2013, 03:37 PM   #11
old timer
Hall Of Famer

Puckett guy: Markus suggested disabling the notification for achievements in the manager achievements screen. Could you try this and see if it helps?

Anyone else having this problem with hanging should also try this.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:23 PM   #12
kingcharlesxii
Hall Of Famer

You might do a CHKDSK of your hard drive. It might have some bad sectors and if OOTP is trying access them, you would get that kind of behavior too. I just did recently when my drive was starting to die.
kingcharlesxii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:51 AM   #13
Puckett guy
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by old timer View Post
Puckett guy: Markus suggested disabling the notification for achievements in the manager achievements screen. Could you try this and see if it helps?

Anyone else having this problem with hanging should also try this.
I tried this suggestion and it did not correct the problem. As a reminder, I am having the hanging problem regularly when I am trying to create a new MLB saved league. So I do not understand how changing my preferences in a earlier saved league would affect game creation process, but I know I am totally ignorant on how the software is designed to work. However, thanks for the suggestion.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:22 AM   #14
Puckett guy
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcharlesxii View Post
You might do a CHKDSK of your hard drive. It might have some bad sectors and if OOTP is trying access them, you would get that kind of behavior too. I just did recently when my drive was starting to die.
I really doubted this would help, because I have a fairly new PC, but I did run the CHKDSK and that seems to have corrected the problem. Thank you very much for the great advice.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:29 AM   #15
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I really doubted this would help, because I have a fairly new PC, but I did run the CHKDSK and that seems to have corrected the problem. Thank you very much for the great advice.
Probably goes without saying, but please keep us posted on your status. Thanks for the communication and thanks kingcharles for taking the time to suggest a possibility.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:09 AM   #16
jm47048
All Star Starter

I too am a Windows software developer. If something is blocking the UI thread for a long enough period of time Windows will believe that the application has stopped working, i.e. a crash. I agree with Marcus. Give it some time. If after ten minutes it is still stalled then you may indeed have a problem.

World Series Champions

1923, 1927, 1928, 1932, 1936, 1937, 1938, 1939, 1941, 1943, 1947, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1956, 1958, 1961, 1962, 1977, 1978, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2009

American League Champions

1921, 1922, 1923, 1926, 1927, 1928, 1932, 1936, 1937, 1938, 1939, 1941, 1942, 1943, 1947, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1958, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1981, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2009
jm47048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 04:22 AM   #17
DeepFreese
Bat Boy

Sorry to bring this back up, but I just bought the game, and I haven't been able to start a game. Mine will just sit there for 20 minutes with the Copying Quick Start Files... showing, and it never starts. I defragmented the HD, I have over 100 GB of space, processor is fine for the game, 3GB of RAM, nothing major running in the background, and I did a CHKDSK already, and no luck. I have no idea what to try at this point. Shame, cause I really enjoyed these games years ago... and I'm out 20 bucks
DeepFreese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 04:28 AM   #18
DeepFreese
Bat Boy

Oh and I'm not sure it has anything to do with it, butas opposed to Puckett Guy I havent been able to start one normally, but it does create a few files each time I try in the saved games folder
Old 02-05-2014, 02:21 PM   #19
DeepFreese
Bat Boy

So I left it going as I went to sleep, and woke up to a started league! Just takes a while I guess
Old 02-05-2014, 05:53 PM   #20
Andreas Raht
Administrator

Quote:
Now start making frequent backups of your saved games folder and also think about replacing the harddisk drive.

Harddisk drives and memory modules get cheaper and cheaper. The quality does NOT get better I guess
Andreas Raht is offline   Reply With Quote