Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Database Tools

OOTP Mods - Database Tools Do you need to take a dump? SQL gurus welcome

Old 08-04-2017, 01:57 AM   #1
bulldog55
Hall Of Famer

Create custom database?

Is this even possible anymore? It seems like the ODB files are proprietary. Is there any way to edit/create them? Does it still work with CSV files, and if so, what is the format? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Being smart, don't always make you popular.
bulldog55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:40 PM   #2
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Spritze can guide you better then most. i tried this years ago so i can have accurate stats for my players in my EBL league but i gave up after a few tests and had issues with getting it right.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 08:15 AM   #3
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog55 View Post
Is this even possible anymore? It seems like the ODB files are proprietary. Is there any way to edit/create them? Does it still work with CSV files, and if so, what is the format? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
This boat has sailed.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:30 PM   #4
ctorg
Global Moderator

Aw, that stinks!

I just came back to playing OOTP for the first time in a couple of years. I used to set up league "histories" for fictional leagues ahead of time because it was easier (and less error-prone) than making lots of changes manually as the years went by. I was hoping to do that again and tried to get it to work, but I couldn't.

This is one of the things I feared would happen when the game got official sanctioning from MLB.

"When the trees blow back and forth, that's what makes the wind." - Steven Wright

Fjord emena pancreas thorax fornicate marmalade morpheme proteolysis smaxa cabana offal srue vitriol grope hallelujah lentils
ctorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 05:38 PM   #5
bulldog55
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctorg View Post
Aw, that stinks!

I just came back to playing OOTP for the first time in a couple of years. I used to set up league "histories" for fictional leagues ahead of time because it was easier (and less error-prone) than making lots of changes manually as the years went by. I was hoping to do that again and tried to get it to work, but I couldn't.

This is one of the things I feared would happen when the game got official sanctioning from MLB.
Well howdy, hotdog man. Long time no see.

I don't know if it really has anything to do with the MLB sanction. I think they just switched to some sort of proprietary database format. It would be great if they could provide some sort of tool for translating an Access db or something to that odb format. How did they create their database in the first place? ODB is an Open Office format but it doesn't open in that.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Being smart, don't always make you popular.
bulldog55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 05:44 PM   #6
ctorg
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog55 View Post
Well howdy, hotdog man. Long time no see.

I don't know if it really has anything to do with the MLB sanction. I think they just switched to some sort of proprietary database format. It would be great if they could provide some sort of tool for translating an Access db or something to that odb format. How did they create their database in the first place? ODB is an Open Office format but it doesn't open in that.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
Howdy! Yeah, it's been a loooong time since I last posted here. I hadn't played OOTP since a few years ago but got the urge when 19 was released for some reason, and I'm feeling the old juices flowing.

When they first switched to the odb files, you could still use csv files. If you had a directory with no odb files, it would just read from csv. I tried that - I copied over an old historical DB I used in a previous version. No dice.

Another good thing I liked to used that ability to do was to fix 19th century info so that it looked more like reality than what is in the database now (which makes no attempt to capture real teams/leagues). I guess that ability is all gone now.

"When the trees blow back and forth, that's what makes the wind." - Steven Wright

Fjord emena pancreas thorax fornicate marmalade morpheme proteolysis smaxa cabana offal srue vitriol grope hallelujah lentils
ctorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 12:30 PM   #7
eriqjaffe
Hall Of Famer

FWIW the ODB files appear to be SQLite databases. That's a guess because I can open them (to a point) using a "DB Browser for SQLite". Unfortunately, they are encrypted since the first the program does when I try to open it is give me a window about SQLCipher encryption, asking for a passphrase.

So...yeah. ODBs are a black box unless you're an 3L33T haXXor.
Old 05-21-2020, 01:18 PM   #8
WPBExpo
Bat Boy

Noob here.

It seems to me that, if the database structure is knowable, then it should still be possible to roll your own custom databases. Or does some mechanism, prevent starting with a database other the game defaults?
WPBExpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 04:29 PM   #9
DrDoom
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I've created two command line utilities that will allow you to create custom databases. ODBtoCSV converts the historical_*.odb files into lahman-esque CSV files. CSVtoODB converts those csv files back into odb files.

They're currently beta but I have posted them in the OOTP Mods forum for anyone to start playing around with.
DrDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 11:09 AM   #10
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
I've created two command line utilities that will allow you to create custom databases. ODBtoCSV converts the historical_*.odb files into lahman-esque CSV files. CSVtoODB converts those csv files back into odb files.

They're currently beta but I have posted them in the OOTP Mods forum for anyone to start playing around with.
I want to create an accurate AAGPBL database, eventually.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 02:47 PM   #11
WPBExpo
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post

I've been playing around with them, and so far they work great! Thank you so much for putting this together!
Old 04-17-2021, 08:03 PM   #12
blackrussian
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPBExpo View Post
I've been playing around with them, and so far they work great! Thank you so much for putting this together!
what kinds of things have you been able to do? i just managed to convert the files so im just poking around for now.
Old 04-27-2021, 12:11 AM   #13
Supermercado
Minors (Triple A)

A pre-game database editor would be helpful. Without going into editing files and using utilities, it's frustrating that if you want to create a custom universe, assign a player his correct nationality etc... all your work gets wiped when you start a new game.

I know editors are less important to the devs than Perfect Team customers but I'm sure somebody would create a third party tool for them if given basic access.
Supermercado is offline   Reply With Quote