Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Historical Simulations

Old 05-07-2012, 04:43 PM   #1
Yea Thats Right
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Starting in 1901- Minor Legues???

I'm starting a historical MLB game from 1901...how were the minor leagues set up then? I'm assuming they didn't have 5 or 6 levels like there are now, but they did have something right?
Yea Thats Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:29 PM   #2
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Although there were minor-league teams dating back to the 1880's, MLB teams having minor-league affiliates did not begin until 1919, and even then it was only a few teams until the mid-30's, when it became common... Here are a couple of threads to check out:

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...expansion.html

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ml#post3232431

The second one above is a longer thread that deals with many issues. However, I believe the link above will take you directly to the relevant discussion... Also, you may want to try an OOTP forum search for other Le Grande Orange posts on the subject.

Also, check out the wikipedia for minor league history: Minor league baseball - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:53 PM   #3
Yea Thats Right
Minors (Rookie Ball)

thanks Hef....sounds like its a real pain to have accurate historical minor leagues....So do you suggest starting a 1901 historical league with minors or would you just use the reserve roster? If I just use the reserve roster, I can always add minor leagues in a later year, right?
Old 05-07-2012, 08:01 PM   #4
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Yes, you can absolutely add minors later... I like to have minors (because I like my non-major-leaguers to accumulate stats, and I like minor-league logos, parks, pennant races, playoffs, etc.), so if I were starting in 1901 - and I've done this - I would start with reserve rosters and then, once reserve rosters reach the levels that can accommodate full teams, I'd switch to one level of minor league teams.

The thing is, once you get to the 40's and minor league affiliates are prevalent, there's a ton of (real life) year-to-year movement (city to city, MLB affiliate to MLB affiliate, minor-league to minor-league). You wouldn't want to even try to replicate even a portion of that... So I keep it simple, imagining a relatively stable Triple A, where the teams, cities & affiliates stay pretty much the same from inception to the 50's (when MLB teams begin to move to previously Triple A cities).

So if I were launching my Triple A in, say, 1910 or 1915, I'd go with 16 of these cities: Atlanta, Baltimore, Birmingham, Louisville, Dallas, Havana, Houston, Kansas City, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Montreal, Toronto, Los Angeles, Oakland, Portland, Sacramento, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, maybe Vernon/Venice/Hollywood, Providence, Hartford, Newark... Then, when the 50's come along and MLB franchises invade a few of these cities, and in the 60's & 70's when MLB expands, you can relocate your Triple A franchises to other cities such as Toledo, Columbus (OH), Denver, Albuquerque, Salt Lake City, Phoenix, Omaha, Hawaii, Tacoma, Buffalo, Memphis, Rochester... You get the idea... Most of these cities have pretty rich minor-league history and logos can be found for them.

Good luck!
Old 05-07-2012, 09:32 PM   #5
Charlie Hough
Hall Of Famer

One way to do it is to assign each club a AAA minor league team based on its longest-running historical affiliate.

So, for example, the Detroit Tigers could have an affiliate in Toledo, while the St. Louis Cardinals might have a minor league team in Louisville. Some of these long-running affiliations didn't emerge until much later in history, but using a system like this helps maintain the spirit of a historical game while keeping things simple.

If you're using real players and recalc, there really isn't a need to have full minors anyway.
Charlie Hough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:48 AM   #6
Yea Thats Right
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanks Hef and Charlie...
Old 05-08-2012, 12:51 AM   #7
Yea Thats Right
Minors (Rookie Ball)

btw, as far as logos goes...I have 2012 logos that I downloaded via the add on central...but how do I get the historical logos?
Old 05-08-2012, 02:48 AM   #8
Charlie Hough
Hall Of Famer

You can download logo mods from OOTPMods.com. But you'll need to install those yourself. Eventually we'd like to add a historical logo pack to the Add-Ons Central, but since there are so many historical logo changes, we'd have to set up a way for OOTP to automatically update them first.
Charlie Hough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:15 PM   #9
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Also, there are a lot of minor-league logos - including historical/retro ones - that can be found in this thread - http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...-logo-set.html - if you like that circular style.

Quote:
Charlie Hough wrote:
Eventually we'd like to add a historical logo pack to the Add-Ons Central, but since there are so many historical logo changes, we'd have to set up a way for OOTP to automatically update them first.
I would like to see a feature that would allow us to control logos via a csv file - much like we can control historical teams via the teams.csv file. For example, the csv file could include the following:

1914,Brooklyn Robins,C:\OOTP\logos\majorleagueretro\robins1914.p ng
1915,Minneapolis Millers,C:\OOTP\logos\minorleagueretro\millers1915 .png
1932,Brooklyn Dodgers,C:\OOTP\logos\majorleagueretro\dodgers1932 .png
1940,Minneapolis Millers,C:\OOTP\logos\minorleagueretro\millers1940 .png
1950,Brooklyn Dodgers,C:\OOTP\logos\majorleagueretro\dodgers1942 .png
1958,Los Angeles Dodgers,C:\OOTP\logos\majorleagueretro\dodgers1958 .png

The layout is simple: Year,Team,Path, with the path of course being whatever the user chooses (wherever the user keeps the logo in question... in the 1950 Dodgers example above, I am deliberately changing the log to the 1942 version).

Something similar for ballpark images would be cool, too.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:17 AM   #10
Carlton
Hall Of Famer

What I do is create MLB and then

International League
American Association
Pacific Coast League

You could also create the Southern Association and Texas League if you so wish but I like to keep it simple...or else I'd spend a month setting up a season with proper cities,ballparks,logos etc.

I make those AA talent and fill with fictional players (changing the world to make sure many countries have non existent leagues) with a 3 rnd draft with enough players for 3 rounds. It will warn you but if you help the AI release one year non talented players in MLB, they will have enough talent and everyonce in awhile a fictional player will make it in MLB for a bit

I do that until 1930 when I make the International (now called Eastern) and American Association as minor league teams tied into leagues

Before then, some of those teams were affiliated with MLB teams non officially

Then in the 50's I will tie in AAA teams but not AA or A as the database will have them imprt almost fully developed

"I am at that stage of my life where I keep myself out of arguments. I am 100% self sufficient spiritually, emotionally & financially. Even if you say 1+1=5, you are ABSOLUTELY CORRECT. Enjoy!"
Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote