Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Historical Simulations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2012, 11:02 PM   #1
TommyHerr
Minors (Single A)

Draft issue

I am doing a 1987 MLB and beyond league. I have recalc off, and development on. I just finished my 1st season and had my first 1st year draft (its held in november). I noticed that it wasn't quite right. There were guys from the 83 draft, the 86 draft etc...

I am wondering, is this just the game's way of getting players into the game and I can expect the rest of the drafts to go according to history, or is the database just not right?

I also noticed a lot of the guys were already at peak.
TommyHerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:40 PM   #2
Charlie Hough
Hall Of Famer

Something is definitely wrong in your game. Somehow your historical database must be modified or damaged. Have you made any changes to it? Are you using a database mod?
Charlie Hough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:53 AM   #3
CatKnight
All Star Starter

No, if I understand Tommy correctly there's nothing wrong.

Tommy: In historical leagues the draft goes off the year the player debuted, not the year he was drafted. Therefore the people you're seeing in November 1987 should have debuted some time in 1988. They may have been drafted years earlier.

Is that what you're seeing (people who debuted in '88), or did I misunderstand?
CatKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:46 AM   #4
TommyHerr
Minors (Single A)

I think you're on the money Cat...

I was thinking about it and when I looked again the thing in common seems to be that they did make their debut in 1988....Sabo for example, drafted in 83, debuted in 88. Randy Johnson, Alomar, Ken Hill etc.

It's kinda disappointing that it works this way. Because the drafted players have their debut year ratings when drafted. My hope was to have these players drafted and have to develop them through the minors. But the fact of the matter is most of them are studs from jump.

I have been looking around for a fix to this...do I have a setting wrong, or do I have to find a database to download?
Old 03-22-2012, 11:25 AM   #5
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

The GAMBO db wuz developed to fix this issue. The Spritze/Gambo db as well.

The Spritze db is NOT the one you need.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:31 PM   #6
TommyHerr
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritze View Post
The GAMBO db wuz developed to fix this issue. The Spritze/Gambo db as well.

The Spritze db is NOT the one you need.
Being 2 seasons in, will it work properly? Or will I have to start my league over?
Old 03-22-2012, 01:04 PM   #7
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

You will need to start over as otherwise various and sundry players will be missing and/or duplicated.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:45 PM   #8
Charlie Hough
Hall Of Famer

Oh, I see. I misunderstood what the OP was describing. I thought players were going into the draft in years when they didn't make their MLB debut.

I believe you will have to use neutralized stats to use the mod that allows players to debut when they made their professional debut rather than their MLB debut.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:57 PM   #9
jhart05
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritze View Post
You will need to start over as otherwise various and sundry players will be missing and/or duplicated.

What is the best way to use your DB?

I would like to see the same thing as Tommy Herr with my 1973 start. I would like to see the players have to spend a little more time in the minors. Is there a setting I should use when first creating the league? I forget what it's called, but maybe the option that asks you how you want players to be rated? Does that have anything to do with it?
jhart05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:06 PM   #10
Charlie Hough
Hall Of Famer

Jhart05, just backup your OOTP database and move those files elsewhere. Install the Gambo/Spritze database into your usual OOTP stats directory.

When creating your game, choose to have historical performance based on neutralized stats.

This is all you need to do. The Gambo/Spritze database already has modified 'stats' for players before their MLB debuts. They're based on minor league equivalencies. When minor league stats are available, they convert them into their relative equivalents compared to an MLB standard. So these players should usually need more time in the minors before they're ready.

This assumes, however, that you're using something like a 1-year or 3-year recalc period and that development is turned off. If you have development turned on, then your players could develop quicker or more slowly. It becomes more random then, although I think you can adjust the randomness of development and give it less room to deviate from history.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:34 AM   #11
jhart05
Major Leagues

Thanks Hough, I'll try messing around with some settings, as what you described is pretty much what I already do. Except I have the database in it's own folder. (I do have the game directed to that alternate folder.)

I have development turned on and don't use the recalc feature. So this: "I think you can adjust the randomness of development and give it less room to deviate from history" might be what I need to play around with.
jhart05 is offline   Reply With Quote