Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Database Tools

OOTP Mods - Database Tools Do you need to take a dump? SQL gurus welcome

Old 06-23-2008, 03:52 PM   #1
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

Market Size Calculator for OOTP9

Howdy folks.

This is the newest version of my market size calculator that began last year.

If you used it last year, it was way more ambitious then. Because of the changes made to the financials in this year's game, I decided to focus on the main area of what the tool was supposed to do -- help you figure out market sizes.

Here's a screenshot.

In the top right-hand corner in Red, you'll see a year. Replace that year for whatever year you're inputting it in. Conversely, it's not going to matter much, because of the way it's configured. But it's a modest change through history. The old model did a much better job of incorporating financial data into it, but with this version, you'll just get a rough approximation of the market size.

I've taken the liberty of inputting MLB teams for you. But you can put any team you want in the TEAM section of the tool.

In the CITY NAME section, use the drop-down menus to pick the city you're looking for. You'll have to scroll, but they're there. Or at least, the metropolitan or micropolitan place name of the place you're looking for. I took it straight from Census data. (If you're looking for Canadian MSAs, you'll need to scroll all the way to the bottom. I put those in last.)

Once you click on a city, it'll automatically populate the City Pop (in blue) area.

Do the same thing for DMA Name. DMA is the TV market for the area you've selected. You choose the DMA from the drop down and again, Canadian DMAs are at the bottom. It'll give you the DMA Size.

With that information and modifiers, it'll automatically generate a MARKET SIZE number, that you can input into the game. You should be good in-game for a decade or so, after which time if you want your market sizes to remain the same as the way they're in the sheet, then you'll want to input the information again.

The population are circa 2000-2006 and the DMA numbers are from 2008. The historical version of this tool, located here will give you a much more in-depth and historically accurate market size, based on a bevy of factors such as team performance, population size and more.

This tool was intended to be a low-fat version, meant for quick input of market size data. I've also uploaded MarketCalc Custom, in case you're running a fictional league and want to simply input your own DMA/population numbers without using RL information.

Feel free to ask questions if you have 'em.

Enjoy!
Attached Files
File Type: xls MarketCalc9.2.xls (236.0 KB, 1413 views)
File Type: xls marketcalc_custom.xls (189.5 KB, 919 views)
darkcloud4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:20 PM   #2
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

First to download!

Thanks for this, dc.

(Actually, I posted on the wrong thread like an idiot - I was responding to the General Discussion thread, or so I thought - but the sentiment's the same. )

Last edited by 1998 Yankees; 06-23-2008 at 04:28 PM.
1998 Yankees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:50 PM   #3
neojonas
All Star Starter

Thank you for your work on this!
neojonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 07:12 PM   #4
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

Glad you all are liking it!
Old 06-26-2008, 05:52 PM   #5
SittingDuck
All Star Starter

Definitely a fine work. Be open to adjustments, because for instance the O's have one of the larger markets in the game, and it used to be MUCH larger than it currently is, especially in their hey-day.
SittingDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:01 AM   #6
CalvinHobbes
Major Leagues

Did the post in the General threads get closed then? I was looking for DarkCloud's player modifiers, like aging, developing. I found the numbers interesting and wanted to play with them on my own. He had posted them in his original thread in the general discussions.

DarkCloud, if you see this, can you re post them? Or is there somewhere else I should look? Thanks very much.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:11 PM   #7
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

Here they are:

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...-settings.html