Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 08-08-2008, 03:33 PM   #281
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

I'm up to date on this thread.
Eugene Church is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 02:39 AM   #282
ACM14850
Minors (Single A)

Situation: runners on first and second, no outs, batter swings and misses at an 0-2 pitch. Play-by-play shows the catcher tagging the batter for the out.

The tag, however, is not necessary. According to Rule 6.05(c), "a batter is out when a third strike is not caught by the catcher when first base is occupied before two are out". The catcher does not need to tag the batter, or throw the ball to first base, in this instance.

This is probably not an error in the play-by-play text, rather an implementation of an incorrect interpretation of the rule.
Attached Images
ACM14850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 02:56 AM   #283
Vinny P.
Banned

Infractions: 0/1 (4)
How do you know the catcher caught the ball? It says the ball was in the dirt, and that the catcher "scooped" it. Does that mean he caught the ball near the ground, or did it bounce in the dirt first?
Vinny P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 03:19 PM   #284
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM14850 View Post
Situation: runners on first and second, no outs, batter swings and misses at an 0-2 pitch. Play-by-play shows the catcher tagging the batter for the out.

The tag, however, is not necessary. According to Rule 6.05(c), "a batter is out when a third strike is not caught by the catcher when first base is occupied before two are out". The catcher does not need to tag the batter, or throw the ball to first base, in this instance.

This is probably not an error in the play-by-play text, rather an implementation of an incorrect interpretation of the rule.
I will post it in Bugzilla.
Old 08-09-2008, 03:23 PM   #285
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilianth View Post
How do you know the catcher caught the ball? It says the ball was in the dirt, and that the catcher "scooped" it. Does that mean he caught the ball near the ground, or did it bounce in the dirt first?
Is it a catch, if the ball hit the ground and the catcher catches it on a bounce?
Old 08-09-2008, 03:58 PM   #286
ACM14850
Minors (Single A)

Rule 6.05(b): "A batter is out when a third strike is legally caught by the catcher."

Rule 6.05(b) Comment: “Legally caught” means in the catcher’s glove before the ball touches the ground. It is not legal if the ball lodges in his clothing or paraphernalia; or if it touches the umpire and is caught by the catcher on the rebound.
If a foul-tip first strikes the catcher’s glove and then goes on through and is caught by both hands against his body or protector, before the ball touches the ground, it is a strike, and if third strike, batter is out. If smothered against his body or protector, it is a catch provided the ball struck the catcher’s glove or hand first.
Old 08-09-2008, 05:44 PM   #287
Vinny P.
Banned

hhmmm, your batter swings and misses, and my interpretation from the text is that the ball hits the ground without even being tipped by the batter. In which case, it would be almost a wild pitch at the same. Which means the batter would have the right to go.

I know IRL, sometimes the catcher would just tag the batter if it is at all questionable by the catcher whether the batter has the right to go. He does that "just in case." It has happened to me a few times, where the catch would tag me, but I was not heading anywhere, but back to the bench.
Old 08-09-2008, 09:12 PM   #288
ACM14850
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilianth View Post
hhmmm, your batter swings and misses, and my interpretation from the text is that the ball hits the ground without even being tipped by the batter. In which case, it would be almost a wild pitch at the same. Which means the batter would have the right to go.
How you can conclude exactly the opposite of what the rules says, I have no idea.

The batter swung and missed at a third strike. First base was occupied. There were less than two out. Whether the catcher caught the ball or not is irrelevant. If the catcher caught the ball, the batter is out by rule 6.05(b): "A batter is out when a third strike is legally caught by the catcher." If the catcher didn't catch the ball, the batter is still out, by rule
6.05(c), "A batter is out when a third strike is not caught by the catcher when first base is occupied before two are out". In either event, the batter is out, and there is no need for the catcher to tag the batter in order to put him out.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:27 PM   #289
Vinny P.
Banned

OOHH, my fault, I thought first base was open.
Old 08-10-2008, 01:57 AM   #290
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

This is just a note to me, so I know I am up to date on this thread.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:42 PM   #291
SittingDuck
All Star Starter

EC, not a typo, but when a team clinches it's division or league, shouldn't they receive a news memo? Seems appropriate.
SittingDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 06:31 PM   #292
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SittingDuck View Post
EC, not a typo, but when a team clinches it's division or league, shouldn't they receive a news memo? Seems appropriate.
Yes, that would be nice.

But first, Markus has to program it in the game.

Currently, all we get is a League Champions story, giving the score of the deciding game, how many titles the team has won and how they finished in the division with their position and season record.

There is a news story about the Playoffs beginning with a schedule of matchups in the opening round.

It has been requested that Markus cover the post-season in more detail and give a news story on each playoff game.

Maybe in OOTP10, if we are lucky.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:09 PM   #293
SittingDuck
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Church View Post
It has been requested that Markus cover the post-season in more detail and give a news story on each playoff game.

Maybe in OOTP10, if we are lucky.
Cripes, I had just come back here to mention this. During playoffs, IMO, it should be strictly playoff coverage without the trade rumor stuff. One game, one article.

There is also not enough pre-playoff build-up.

I really hope he'll get on that.

Otherwise, good deal.
SittingDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 01:28 AM   #294
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

I'm up-to-date.

This is a note to myself.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:56 AM   #295
Buhner4
Bat Boy

Unsure of where to put this, but i think here qualifies. It requires set up, and i have no screen shot because i didnt think ok it.

My starting pitcher has a shutout with 2 outs in the 9th. There are runners on 1st and 3rd. The batter hits a single up the middle and the runner from third scores. The runner on 1st gets throw out at 3rd. The PbP announces that the pitcher has thrown a shutout giving up so many hits etc etc.

After the game, when i realized what the PbP had said, i checked all the stats. All were correct for both teams (with the pitcher giving up a run and an rbi for the hitter and a run for the man on 3rd). Which is why i figured it should be posted here.

Sorry for no Screen shot. And if this is in the wrong place.
Buhner4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 03:22 PM   #296
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buhner4 View Post
Unsure of where to put this, but i think here qualifies. It requires set up, and i have no screen shot because i didnt think ok it.

My starting pitcher has a shutout with 2 outs in the 9th. There are runners on 1st and 3rd. The batter hits a single up the middle and the runner from third scores. The runner on 1st gets throw out at 3rd. The PbP announces that the pitcher has thrown a shutout giving up so many hits etc etc.

After the game, when i realized what the PbP had said, i checked all the stats. All were correct for both teams (with the pitcher giving up a run and an rbi for the hitter and a run for the man on 3rd). Which is why i figured it should be posted here.

Sorry for no Screen shot. And if this is in the wrong place.
You are in the right place.

Even if it was in the wrong place, I always appreciate someone who takes the time to make the game better.

I think this problem is in the Hard-Coded PBP, to which only Markus has access. I will report it as a bug.

Thanks for posting it.

Last edited by Eugene Church; 08-12-2008 at 10:47 PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:18 PM   #297
Raidergoo
Hall Of Famer

I saw territory misspelled as terrotory in the PbP.
Raidergoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 01:28 AM   #298
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raidergoo View Post
I saw territory misspelled as terrotory in the PbP.
Thanks.

I did a search for it and it did not show up.

Looks like tysok or pstrickert fixed it.

Last edited by Eugene Church; 08-14-2008 at 01:36 AM.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:29 PM   #299
Bishop
All Star Reserve

Hall of Fame message..

"After the induction ceremony Dundee was asked what was the most thrilling moment in his career. He responded quickly, "No doubt about it, your first hit in the big leagues —- that's tops. It means you're on your way. When you get the first hit, then you can get the rest.""

In the game, it shows up as A a box then a dash.
Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 03:05 PM   #300
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
Hall of Fame message..

"After the induction ceremony Dundee was asked what was the most thrilling moment in his career. He responded quickly, "No doubt about it, your first hit in the big leagues —- that's tops. It means you're on your way. When you get the first hit, then you can get the rest.""

In the game, it shows up as A a box then a dash.
Thanks for posting the error.

The text database story was alright. I guess in the conversion, the use of "--" was not acceptable.

I took it out and just made it two sentences.

It now reads:

"No doubt about it, your first hit in the big leagues. That's tops. It means you're on your way. When you get the first hit, then you can get the rest."