Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP Hotfix 21.1.33 - OOTP 21 Available - FHM 6 Available

OOTP Baseball 21 Available Now!

  

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2008, 11:05 PM   #1
wbonnell
Minors (Single A)
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 77
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0x in 0 posts
ABA financials

To get familiar with the new version of the game, I ran a 100 year simulation of the ABA league that is included with OOTP 9. What I noticed is that every team's P&L was in the red every year. It's so bad, that over the 100 years, some teams lost more than a Billion dollars! What's the point of financials if every team simply operates in the red?
wbonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 12:19 AM   #2
tysok
Hall Of Famer
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 4,925
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12x in 6 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbonnell View Post
To get familiar with the new version of the game, I ran a 100 year simulation of the ABA league that is included with OOTP 9. What I noticed is that every team's P&L was in the red every year. It's so bad, that over the 100 years, some teams lost more than a Billion dollars! What's the point of financials if every team simply operates in the red?
Never saw that big a problem. I'll see if I can duplicate and find the problem tomorrow... did you tweak any settings, or just load whatever it is you loaded and went? Not sure what ABA League is... but surely will be able to figure it out.
__________________
I don't know about you, but as for me, the question has already been answered: Should we be here? Yes!
Jack Buck, September 17, 2001

It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.

I firmly believe that any man's finest hour... is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. (Vince Lombardi)

I don't measure a man's success by how high he climbs but how high he bounces when he hits bottom. (George S. Patton)
tysok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 02:22 AM   #3
Tom the Fish
Major Leagues
 
Tom the Fish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Jingu Stadium
Posts: 487
Thanks: 72
Thanked 73x in 38 posts
ABA League is the 1951 fictional quickstart that is packaged with the game.

Tom
__________________
"Any talk of rebelliousness has to begin with one's
profound appreciation and understanding of tradition."
- Lu Shoukun
Tom the Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 04:15 AM   #4
Tom the Fish
Major Leagues
 
Tom the Fish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Jingu Stadium
Posts: 487
Thanks: 72
Thanked 73x in 38 posts
Could it have something to do with the park sizes?

Tom
__________________
"Any talk of rebelliousness has to begin with one's
profound appreciation and understanding of tradition."
- Lu Shoukun
Tom the Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 07:41 AM   #5
towerofpower
Minors (Single A)
 
towerofpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Canton, MA
Posts: 82
Thanks: 18
Thanked 0x in 0 posts
I've played out an ABA league and am currently at the 1969 season. The real big problem I can see is that the attendance numbers can't possibly keep up with the superstar salaries. Right now the superstar quality salary is 1.2 million! While the average park attendance is 12,000 with ticket prices at $2.35.

So out of the 16 teams right now, not a single one has a projected budget that's in the black and some are over 5 million in the red! Without tinkering I can see this league ending up just like the OP's.
towerofpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 08:45 AM   #6
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer
 
The Wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: All alone
Posts: 12,612
Thanks: 1,790
Thanked 5,054x in 2,607 posts
Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Since the QS is set in 1951, financials should not have been on. Whoever decreed that they be turned on for a fifties league - it must have been a person with no sense of baseball history whatsoever - is at fault here.

Just turn the financials off, as they should have been off anyway.
__________________
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 08:54 AM   #7
Raidergoo
Hall Of Famer
 
Raidergoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 8,986
Thanks: 499
Thanked 598x in 307 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Since the QS is set in 1951, financials should not have been on. Whoever decreed that they be turned on for a fifties league - it must have been a person with no sense of baseball history whatsoever - is at fault here.

Just turn the financials off, as they should have been off anyway.
I turned them on. I have a sense of baseball history. If they had been turned off, there would have been complaints.

if you don't change the stadium sizes, and run 100 years into the future, you will have odd financial results.
Raidergoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:00 AM   #8
Carplos
Hall Of Famer
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Idaho
Posts: 2,498
Thanks: 61
Thanked 137x in 118 posts
Infractions: 1/0 (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raidergoo View Post
I turned them on. I have a sense of baseball history. If they had been turned off, there would have been complaints.

if you don't change the stadium sizes, and run 100 years into the future, you will have odd financial results.
Some sense! Money was clearly not invented until 1976.

__________________
Riley! White people have pools!

Twitter. Facebook. Photobucket.
Carplos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:00 AM   #9
towerofpower
Minors (Single A)
 
towerofpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Canton, MA
Posts: 82
Thanks: 18
Thanked 0x in 0 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raidergoo View Post
I turned them on. I have a sense of baseball history. If they had been turned off, there would have been complaints.

if you don't change the stadium sizes, and run 100 years into the future, you will have odd financial results.
In my case, I'm not talking about 100 years, I'm talking about well, actually right from day 1 and now up to year 19 every team is seriously in debt. Even from year 1 the superstar salaries are in the 400-500k range which seems to kill the budget of most teams, especially when they're only pulling in 1.35 per ticket sale with maybe 8,000 people per game.
towerofpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:17 AM   #10
Raidergoo
Hall Of Famer
 
Raidergoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 8,986
Thanks: 499
Thanked 598x in 307 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by towerofpower View Post
In my case, I'm not talking about 100 years, I'm talking about well, actually right from day 1 and now up to year 19 every team is seriously in debt. Even from year 1 the superstar salaries are in the 400-500k range which seems to kill the budget of most teams, especially when they're only pulling in 1.35 per ticket sale with maybe 8,000 people per game.
The salary range sounds ok, as do the ticket and attendance numbers, though I do not have my spreadsheet with me. The owner is supposed to come up with cash from time to time. Is he?
Raidergoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 03:34 PM   #11
tysok
Hall Of Famer
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 4,925
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12x in 6 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raidergoo View Post
The salary range sounds ok, as do the ticket and attendance numbers, though I do not have my spreadsheet with me. The owner is supposed to come up with cash from time to time. Is he?
How does this one work? Does it go through the usual creation, so everytime you start everything is a little different, or is it set in stone and starts the same every time you play?

The first thing I notice is that salaries immediately outrun revenue. Which means every team immediately goes in the red. For instance, only 2 teams started with cash at all, every team started off with a budget equal to their revenue (basically) which doesn't happen in fictional setups... and every team went way over their budget in the first year. Overall teams expenses sum to 47 million, while they only brought in 41 million in revenue.
__________________
I don't know about you, but as for me, the question has already been answered: Should we be here? Yes!
Jack Buck, September 17, 2001

It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.

I firmly believe that any man's finest hour... is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. (Vince Lombardi)

I don't measure a man's success by how high he climbs but how high he bounces when he hits bottom. (George S. Patton)
tysok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 03:37 PM   #12
tysok
Hall Of Famer
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 4,925
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12x in 6 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raidergoo View Post
if you don't change the stadium sizes, and run 100 years into the future, you will have odd financial results.
I'm seeing normal stadium sizes. For example, the Atlanta Rebels have 39,600 capacity. Just how big would they need to be made?
__________________
I don't know about you, but as for me, the question has already been answered: Should we be here? Yes!
Jack Buck, September 17, 2001

It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.

I firmly believe that any man's finest hour... is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. (Vince Lombardi)

I don't measure a man's success by how high he climbs but how high he bounces when he hits bottom. (George S. Patton)
tysok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 04:01 PM   #13
Raidergoo
Hall Of Famer
 
Raidergoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 8,986
Thanks: 499
Thanked 598x in 307 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysok View Post
I'm seeing normal stadium sizes. For example, the Atlanta Rebels have 39,600 capacity. Just how big would they need to be made?
Enough to seat Sagan's billions and billions.

Generally, I chopped 8 to 12 thousand off of capacity on each park after they were generated. I would hope that most stadium capacities would grow that much by the mid 1970's.
Raidergoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 04:08 PM   #14
OldFatGuy
All Star Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Northern Va., Loudoun County
Posts: 1,859
Thanks: 231
Thanked 402x in 182 posts
Is it possible that "editing" all the drafts with the forum members and making sure they were good makes a "talent inflation" that results in an out of whack number of very high salaries?? Just speculating, as I've only tinkered with it a bit. And, BTW, love the work on that league.
OldFatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 04:18 PM   #15
tysok
Hall Of Famer
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 4,925
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12x in 6 posts
It's not pretty. After 4 years no team is good still. The expenses are way over the budgets every year, but the budgets are set right (they roughly equal the revenue). They're mostly sitting at the cash max negative... I'll run this for a while, check up on it after work.
__________________
I don't know about you, but as for me, the question has already been answered: Should we be here? Yes!
Jack Buck, September 17, 2001

It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.

I firmly believe that any man's finest hour... is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. (Vince Lombardi)

I don't measure a man's success by how high he climbs but how high he bounces when he hits bottom. (George S. Patton)
tysok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 04:27 PM   #16
Raidergoo
Hall Of Famer
 
Raidergoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 8,986
Thanks: 499
Thanked 598x in 307 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
Is it possible that "editing" all the drafts with the forum members and making sure they were good makes a "talent inflation" that results in an out of whack number of very high salaries?? Just speculating, as I've only tinkered with it a bit. And, BTW, love the work on that league.
I did not edit talent. All I edited were names, nicknames, place of birth, and in a select few places, the player number.

There were great prospects in the game. I just made sure that they were board members.
Raidergoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 05:02 PM   #17
OldFatGuy
All Star Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Northern Va., Loudoun County
Posts: 1,859
Thanks: 231
Thanked 402x in 182 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raidergoo View Post
I did not edit talent. All I edited were names, nicknames, place of birth, and in a select few places, the player number.

There were great prospects in the game. I just made sure that they were board members.
Then there must be something out of whack in the financials.txt file. And if that were the case, it should affect all leagues, not just the ABA, since it "looks" to that file every year if the option is selected. This one is weird.
OldFatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 05:07 PM   #18
ootp3to6
Hall Of Famer
 
ootp3to6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Haliburton,Ontario Canada
Posts: 3,168
Thanks: 3,086
Thanked 326x in 249 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom the Fish View Post
ABA League is the 1951 fictional quickstart that is packaged with the game.

Tom
Thanks for answering my question re: ABA league.
ootp3to6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 05:12 PM   #19
OldFatGuy
All Star Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Northern Va., Loudoun County
Posts: 1,859
Thanks: 231
Thanked 402x in 182 posts
If OOTP didn't change the way it looks at financials.txt (and it appears it didn't in reference to era_modifiers.txt and the other .txt files), then there is absolutely something wacky in the financials.txt file. It has no years in it, and it is all on one line.

EDIT: WRONG. It still has the years in it. Just doesn't separate into a new line for each year like it used to. I would think that would matter much less than having no year. It probably looks for the year anywhere in the file than follows the comma separated logic to import numbers so not being separated by lines anymore probably has ZERO affect. It does LOOK strange when you open the new financials. txt file though.

Last edited by OldFatGuy; 06-27-2008 at 12:06 PM.
OldFatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 05:15 PM   #20
OldFatGuy
All Star Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Northern Va., Loudoun County
Posts: 1,859
Thanks: 231
Thanked 402x in 182 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysok View Post
It's not pretty. After 4 years no team is good still. The expenses are way over the budgets every year, but the budgets are set right (they roughly equal the revenue). They're mostly sitting at the cash max negative... I'll run this for a while, check up on it after work.
Tysok, if you can, replace the current financials.txt with the one from OOTP8 and see if that helps when you check up on it.
OldFatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:00 AM.

 

Major League and Minor League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with permission of Major League Baseball. Visit MLB.com and MiLB.com.

Officially Licensed Product – MLB Players, Inc.

Out of the Park Baseball is a registered trademark of Out of the Park Developments GmbH & Co. KG

Google Play is a trademark of Google Inc.

Apple, iPhone, iPod touch and iPad are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.

COPYRIGHT © 2020 OUT OF THE PARK DEVELOPMENTS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

 

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © 2020 Out of the Park Developments