Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - New to the Game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 20 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 04-05-2019, 02:21 PM   #1
tiger61
Bat Boy

Peak Seasons of Career ?

Am interested in doing replay simulation. Manual says you can base player ratings on "peak seasons of Career". Is this on a franchise basis? Example: Colavito had peak seasons with both Cleveland and Detroit. Would game combine ratings from both city franchises? Since I want to set up specific city franchises would not want to combine ratings from both, if that's the case.
Or am I just better off picking individual seasons for city franchises: 1961 Colavito for Detroit and 1958 Colavito for Cleveland?
Thanks,
Jim
tiger61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 02:37 PM   #2
Reed
All Star Starter

I could be wrong but I think you may be misinterpreted what it is saying. Are you replaying a specific season like 1961?
Are you talking about the historical tab where it says “base potential ratings on” (remaining career or peak seasons)?
By selecting those options you ARE NOT effecting the actual ratings, you are saying do you want the AI and to be able to see the players potential based just on their best years or to base it on their overall body of work. At least that is how I interpret it,
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 03:45 PM   #3
tiger61
Bat Boy

New to game, so bare with me. In the manual, Section from "Historical Wizard" or "Custom Advanced" says "Base Potential Ratings on ... either Career Totals OR Remaining Yrs of Career OR Peak Seasons of Career (one I'm asking about) OR Remaining Peak Seasons.
I am assuming that the ratings for the player are an average based on a few top seasons ? This will control his performance during play. My concern is that they are taking the top seasons (peak seasons) from his entire career including various teams played for. ???
Am I looking at this wrong?
Thanks
Old 04-05-2019, 04:50 PM   #4
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume you are Tigers fan, so I will indeed Ray Bare with you. (Sorry, little obscure Detroit Tigers word play there.)

While I'm not absolutely sure how OOTP defines peak seasons, I am very sure that it is irrespective of what team(s) they played on. So in the Colavito example, I'm quite sure peak years would include a little from the Cleveland years and a little from the Detroit years (something like 1958-1962 seems like a safe guess.)

But I think that what Reed is trying to say is that it might not be quite as straightforward as you are imagining. This will combine with other ratings decisions you make (such as stats recalculation settings, base ratings setting, etc.) as well as the OOTP development engine, if you have that on, to help drive the actual ratings and performance outcomes. It has been awhile since I've played historical (my bag these days is definitely fictional) but I believe that the bit you are looking at here will have more to do with what potential ratings look like for the player, which does and will have some effect on performance, but in conjunction with quite a few other factors also.
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 05:07 PM   #5
tiger61
Bat Boy

Yes, I am a Tigers fan. How bout those current Tigers. If an asteroid hit the earth now, they would qualify for a wild card spot. Thought I better say that now, before the season continues. Hopefully, their pitching continues.
Thanks for information and take on historical season engine. I'm new to the game, so still learning what factors go into a replay simulation.
Thanks, Jim
Old 04-05-2019, 05:28 PM   #6
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger61 View Post
Yes, I am a Tigers fan. How bout those current Tigers. If an asteroid hit the earth now, they would qualify for a wild card spot. Thought I better say that now, before the season continues. Hopefully, their pitching continues.
Thanks for information and take on historical season engine. I'm new to the game, so still learning what factors go into a replay simulation.
Thanks, Jim
I think the Tigers will be fun to watch this year. Ultimately not good. But fun at least. It seems there are indications that Niko Goodrum may actually be better than we could have expected (showed up, for instance, on a very positive list in an article about exit velocity on The Athletic today.) (Candelario also featured prominently in this article.) If Stewart can cut down on his swing and miss tendencies a bit that power potential is pretty exciting. Has Boyd figured something out? Maybe. Has Zimmerman figured out how to transform himself into a different kind of pitcher, adjusting to the realities of his talents now? Maybe. And when Daz Cameron arrives, that should be fun too. (I'm more a Rockies fan these days, but still follow the Tigers a bit, both because they were my first baseball love and for the sake of being able to converse with my father about them.)

Always happy to help- wasn't that long ago I was a newbie here too and still much of the time feel like one.
As I said, I'm not really a great expert on the historical save side of things here so hopefully others will chime in with more/better information.
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 06:34 AM   #7
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger61 View Post
Thanks, Jim
maybe if they strike for the rest of the season and come back for playoffs... is 5-3 in? this early i wouldn't assume... i'm sure there's enough teams on a hot streak to keep them out at just 5-3.

thats a 90-100loss team.. give it time. it's the only team i am familiar enough with to say such a thing.

want to see how little an improved defense helps? compare this year to last... tigers have better defense, same crap offense and maybe a bit better bullpen, but crap rotation. it'll be just as dismal as last year... an unproveable different and clearly not a huge factor. i think they can do better than last year, but within normal volatility and impossible to know why for sure in moment.

Last edited by NoOne; 04-06-2019 at 06:37 AM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 06:29 PM   #8
tiger61
Bat Boy

Now 6 and 3. And only 153 games left!
Pitching may be strong, will have to get past the first 40 games to really see what's there. Hitting, probably will not overwhelm (understatement). Maybe will be able to trade some pitching for position prospects by July 31st. Way too early to tell.
Baseball unlike other sports needs yrs for a rebuild. Baseball needs to look at some somewhat radical ideas, so rebuild would not necessarily be a 4-5 year death sentence.
Old 04-07-2019, 04:49 AM   #9
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

when you run the tigers like they have, yeah it takes years. and more years of futility, lol. after 2006, it's been 50/50 good and bad decisions -- not a good ratio. they really squandered their window of opportunity after that. probably one of the most wasteful spendingn clubs if you analyzed ROI.

don't believe the nonsense that they took losses on the year, though.. .that's just insanity. maybe, in the accounting books they did, but that's just to avoid taxes. if you've ever taken some accounting classes you know that income is heavily underreported in legal ways... and not so legal ways in some cases... but you don't have to break the law unless extraordinarily greedy.

strong rotation? you read the local newspapers i can tell. zimmerman is a broken down shell of himself and some young unproven starters. matt moore hasn't been decent in years and tyler ross has yet to regain any velocity from before surgery nearing 2 years ago. 3 broken down has-beens... if all 3 have comeback years... <crosses fingers>

listen, i'm all about hopes and dreams for the tigers... i hope i am wrong, but reality is that they are very very unlikely to be good this year. the last thing they should do is trade away future pieces.

they are 6-3 because they have a team low 2's ERA and some very timely hitting that you can't count on... imo, if they replayed these 9 games they might win 2 most attempts, possibly 3. i'd be curious what their pyt +/- is after 9 games... i bet it's +3-4. that'd be +54, if they kept it up for 162g. small samples are worthless tidbits that mean very little.

if ross has a comeback year, if turnbull is real (no idea, and rookie sp usually aren't good, but fairly often have a good stretch to start), if stewart is a power hitter in his rookie year, if niko goodrum is more than a super sub, if zimmerman can be an old junk-ball pitcher along hte lines of Frank Tanana, if our young bullpen doesn't blow a tire (they are strongest portion of team. i think the only average to above average portion, if any part is -- oh defense will be top-half too if the poor corner OF and injured CF doesn't weigh too heavily), if .... , all of that and more (just off top of my head)... they got at least a fighter's chance at ~.500...

the 2 FA shore up 2b/ss, but they are 7-8-9 hitters on any playoff team. singles machines... maybe, if the one guy has learned to appreciate obp, he'd be a good lead-off on a 'better' team capable of the playoffs. harrison? his obp for his career is atrocious for a leadoff hitter-type. breaking 600 runs is going to be a chore, lol.

not much winning is going to happen. i love my tigers. i grew up watching the 80s teams. even though i was very likely traumatized at a very young age by the "pee troughs" at old tiger stadium, LoL (82-84 ish sometime in there)... it was so disgusting and left a lasting memory. i saw someone puking into one as they relieved themselves and other things a child should never see in public -- just wangs everywhere -- and the 80s, so full-amazon bush. it was at the end of the game and many drunks in there, etc.

i can't imagine what today's parents would do in that situation... probably have a stroke and give their kid some neurosis about reality. a good character building moment....

Last edited by NoOne; 04-07-2019 at 04:53 AM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote