Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - New to the Game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 20 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 03-25-2019, 04:24 PM   #1
esmeet7
Bat Boy

OOTP Online vs. Local

I've never played OOTP before, and I'm considering getting into it this season. In watching the trailers and reading some threads here, it's clear that the game offers incredible depth and detail allowing for highly-customized leagues and baseball universes.

I'm confused about the on-line versus local nature of the game. Is this a game where you log in on-line and have your league/game files in the cloud, so you can access the game and play from any web-enabled device? ...or is it a local-only game where you need to download and save files locally?

If it's the latter (local install), how do you play with/against others in connected franchises/leagues? If everyone is operating with local files, how do those sync in interactive leagues?
esmeet7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 02:09 PM   #2
cavebutter
All Star Starter

The game is essentially stand-alone - a local install on your machine and you can play to your heart's content without an internet connection.

Online refers to Online Leagues. In this mode, players are GM's in the same league. Each GM ftp's (via the game, I believe) the relevant files to the league commissioner who then sims for a number of game days (this will vary by online league). Players then download the relevant files (via the game, I believe) and do GM things. Then they upload the files again and the process repeats.

There is a whole sub-forum related to this and people on this board are much better versed in it than I am.

Logo Gallery
cavebutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 02:58 PM   #3
krtgolfing
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavebutter View Post
The game is essentially stand-alone - a local install on your machine and you can play to your heart's content without an internet connection.

Online refers to Online Leagues. In this mode, players are GM's in the same league. Each GM ftp's (via the game, I believe) the relevant files to the league commissioner who then sims for a number of game days (this will vary by online league). Players then download the relevant files (via the game, I believe) and do GM things. Then they upload the files again and the process repeats.

There is a whole sub-forum related to this and people on this board are much better versed in it than I am.
Pretty much spot on. The commish will give everyone the starter file to setup to join the league. You then download the latest files if there is one, make changes as needed. Then upload the file. Commish will sim however many days and you will download the latest file. Then repeat.
krtgolfing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 06:30 PM   #4
esmeet7
Bat Boy

Thanks for the explanation. It sounds a little complicated, but having the FTP happen as an in-game function sounds like it could be made to be more user friendly.

I have to wonder - with today's cloud computing capabilities - if OOTP would ever consider hosting everything online so users could access their leagues/files from any web-enabled device. They could have the option to take it off-line, if needed or desired, but I would expect that benefits of being on-line would be significant for on-line leagues and even for individual players who want access at home, work, their phones, etc.
esmeet7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 07:47 PM   #5
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

you just load it and make decisions for the time period simmed. the game does all the complicated consolidation of the uploaded files.

from your end, all you do is set up your 7-day lineups or whatever else needed for that time period. send file back.

each person does that, then it's crunched back together and then simmed for the alotted time. the comissioner is the only one doing mundane stuff. some planning/automation can make it a simple process for sure.

having a centralized location would be easier. being able to work onthe same file in real-time with others probably isn't too hard in this context. each team can only control their portion of the file. difficult to have incongruencies due to end-user functions.

i would think now it requires communication outside game to hammer out details before submitting, or a constant re-distribution of files to the players trying to get a trade done for each counteroffer and such. a lot easier in game to see the players and such, imo.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote