Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Discover the new amazing online league competition & card collecting mode of OOTP!

Old 02-07-2019, 02:47 AM   #41
traylor45
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
Personally, the "play the 27 Yankees to get free packs" feels like an exploit to me.
I thought this had already been addressed by the fact that I can't spam the 27 Yankees 24/7 and get a new pack every hour. Pretty sure if it's not explicitly stated on here, it's at least been heavily implied there's an unknown timer on how often packs are allowed to drop.

If that's in place, then there shouldn't be any qualms with what teams people are using to get those packs, because they can't get them any more often than you guys want. And shouldn't be punished for finding a way to get them as quickly after that timer pops as possible.
traylor45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 12:00 PM   #42
Threnodas
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by traylor45 View Post
I thought this had already been addressed by the fact that I can't spam the 27 Yankees 24/7 and get a new pack every hour. Pretty sure if it's not explicitly stated on here, it's at least been heavily implied there's an unknown timer on how often packs are allowed to drop.

If that's in place, then there shouldn't be any qualms with what teams people are using to get those packs, because they can't get them any more often than you guys want. And shouldn't be punished for finding a way to get them as quickly after that timer pops as possible.
The question is, what are they incentivizing, and whom are they rewarding? It seems like the goal should be to promote crossover between PT and solo play, so that players of one mode try out the other and find more reasons to love OOTP. The current system incentivizes ... spamming simulations of the '27 Yankees, which has very little to do with what solo play has to offer. The current system says, "Sure, you could take over the current Orioles and play out every game yourself as you GM the team through a rebuild, but it'll cost you in PT because you aren't simming the Bronx Globetrotters vs. the Washington Generals." The current system rewards "managing" by picking the best team in history and pressing "Play Until..." instead of actually playing the world's best baseball management sim game. Why is that?

Last edited by Threnodas; 02-07-2019 at 12:01 PM.
Threnodas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 12:08 PM   #43
zrog2000
All Star Starter

Just let the FTP players have their free pack once or twice a week FFS. It's their only bonus.
zrog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 12:23 PM   #44
Threnodas
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrog2000 View Post
Just let the FTP players have their free pack once or twice a week FFS. It's their only bonus.
I'm a FTP player who likes to get lost in solo play, arguing that a free pack once or twice a week for no reason at all makes more sense than a free pack for the 8675309th in silico experiment to determine just how much better the '27 Yankees were than the rest of the AL. I'm not asking to take rewards away from FTP players, I'm asking to reward FTP players for, like, playing.
Threnodas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 12:51 PM   #45
louisvillec271
Minors (Triple A)

Are there any Smead Jolley cards in existence? He's one of my favorite historical players.
louisvillec271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 11:09 PM   #46
Let'sGoBraves
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainbuttercream View Post
If I could get 1985 Rickey, I would be sooooooo happy.

>Top WAR, SP Zack Greinke, KC, 2009 96 9

I actually pulled one, now I wish I didn't sell it.
I was lucky enough to pull one. I pulled it with a Braves theme team so I sold it for just over 100,000. I haven't seen another on the market.
Let'sGoBraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:34 PM   #47
Camelsback
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Last edited by Camelsback; 02-10-2019 at 09:35 PM. Reason: wrong post
Camelsback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 05:13 PM   #48
Renfro
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threnodas View Post
The question is, what are they incentivizing, and whom are they rewarding? It seems like the goal should be to promote crossover between PT and solo play, so that players of one mode try out the other and find more reasons to love OOTP. The current system incentivizes ... spamming simulations of the '27 Yankees, which has very little to do with what solo play has to offer.
I think the question is interesting but your answer is too limiting.

The fact is, we as consumers do not know all the motivations why free packs are awarded every 72 hours via Challenge Mode.

And what about this answer: the current system does incentivize keeping f2p players interested in Perfect Team, thus increasing the numbers of people actively engaged in this new mode of game.
Renfro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 07:47 PM   #49
reo
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by traylor45 View Post
it's at least been heavily implied there's an unknown timer on how often packs are allowed to drop.
I was told (in Discord) it's 72 hours.
Gil Renard: Don't get greedy, son. Don't get greedy. What we need now is a sacrifice. A winning team has to know how to manufacture runs. Coop taught me that. He used to say the most beautiful play in the game is a sacrifice fly, and you know why?
Richie Renard: 'Cause you give yourself up for the team?
Gil Renard: And it doesn't even count against your average. That's why baseball's better than life - it's fair.
reo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 01:15 AM   #50
Renfro
Minors (Double A)

Pulled a Rare Card

Pulled a Top WAR Feller ... on my all-Milwaukee themed team.

According to the OP, there were only 10 of these pulled.

Guess it's time to tear down the all-Milwaukee franchise. Even with Diamond Spahn, Yelich, Mathews, and Braun I don't think we were ever going to get out of Silver anyway.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:34 AM   #51
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renfro View Post
Pulled a Top WAR Feller ... on my all-Milwaukee themed team.

According to the OP, there were only 10 of these pulled.

Guess it's time to tear down the all-Milwaukee franchise. Even with Diamond Spahn, Yelich, Mathews, and Braun I don't think we were ever going to get out of Silver anyway.
just switch to something like a "Great Lakes" club so you can pull players in from Milwaukee, Chicago, Detroit and Cleveland.... then he fits
stl jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:29 AM   #52
Renfro
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl jason View Post
just switch to something like a "Great Lakes" club so you can pull players in from Milwaukee, Chicago, Detroit and Cleveland.... then he fits
That is genius!!! I'm on it for next week.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:47 AM   #53
webdox
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl jason View Post
Your brilliance is going to cost me more FastSpring...

I have an all Tigers team yet I have been toying with perhaps adding Brouthers to the roster though he was a Wolverine.

Could also at Toronto players to that list with your idea!

EDIT: and Buffalo...

EDIT EDIT: To that end a nice 1914 Russ Ford Buffalo Buffeds Historical would be a nice addition

Thanks.

Last edited by webdox; 02-22-2019 at 10:54 AM.
webdox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 12:24 PM   #54
Renfro
Minors (Double A)

To satisfy the pretty common tendency for alliteration, and to help narrow down the great pool of players, I'm going to change my Cream City Crew to the Great Lakes Ghosts (officially the Ghosts of the Great Lakes), featuring deceased players from cities on any of the Great Lakes.

Fun times! The only problem is finding a backup catcher to Darrell Porter (MIL).
Old 02-22-2019, 02:42 PM   #55
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Fun times! The only problem is finding a backup catcher to Darrell Porter (MIL).
Gary Carter?

Edit: Nevermind, my Canadian geography was way off for a moment. -.-

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.

Last edited by Westheim; 02-22-2019 at 02:45 PM.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 03:13 PM   #56
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
To satisfy the pretty common tendency for alliteration, and to help narrow down the great pool of players, I'm going to change my Cream City Crew to the Great Lakes Ghosts (officially the Ghosts of the Great Lakes), featuring deceased players from cities on any of the Great Lakes.

Mickey Cochrane played for Detroit a few seasons at the end of his career.... if you can find him in the AH....
stl jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 04:19 PM   #57
DrTobiasFunke
Minors (Single A)

I'm currently platooning Darrell Porter with Jody Davis (CHI) on my main team, so that's an option too.
DrTobiasFunke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 09:48 PM   #58
elutz31
Minors (Double A)

I personally had stopped playing OOTP19 months before the perfect league drew me back in. If it wasn't for the perfect league I wouldn't have played any challenge mode until 2020 came out. So I do agree it's a nice added bonus and wouldn't mind seeing it stay in the game in some format.

I haven't used the 27 Yankees method myself but do something similar. I run a new historic league, setting it to use random players from all eras in 2017, then run an inaugural draft. First season is usually above average but after the season is over I pick up every free agent with a 4 rating or higher by back-loading their contracts. I'll trade off much of my original team to get the first 3-5 draft picks in the first round. By season 2 between 3-5 hall of fame rookies and 10-15 4-5 star free agents my team will typically win 120-140 games a year and most awards. With it being a new league and random players the hitters are ridiculous as there aren't enough good pitchers in the league yet. The top hitters will bat over .400 hit 80-90+ home runs and have over 200 rbi. I run this for 3-4 seasons until the hitters start to normalize and hit 40-50 homers. By that time I usually have a free pack anyway.
elutz31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 04:23 AM   #59
5rings
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elutz31 View Post
I personally had stopped playing OOTP19 months before the perfect league drew me back in. If it wasn't for the perfect league I wouldn't have played any challenge mode until 2020 came out. So I do agree it's a nice added bonus and wouldn't mind seeing it stay in the game in some format.

I haven't used the 27 Yankees method myself but do something similar. I run a new historic league, setting it to use random players from all eras in 2017, then run an inaugural draft. First season is usually above average but after the season is over I pick up every free agent with a 4 rating or higher by back-loading their contracts. I'll trade off much of my original team to get the first 3-5 draft picks in the first round. By season 2 between 3-5 hall of fame rookies and 10-15 4-5 star free agents my team will typically win 120-140 games a year and most awards. With it being a new league and random players the hitters are ridiculous as there aren't enough good pitchers in the league yet. The top hitters will bat over .400 hit 80-90+ home runs and have over 200 rbi. I run this for 3-4 seasons until the hitters start to normalize and hit 40-50 homers. By that time I usually have a free pack anyway.
Stupid question--how do you trade for draft picks?
5rings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 03:23 PM   #60
Mizzery
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5rings View Post
Stupid question--how do you trade for draft picks?
At game setup, you can go into advance mode and if you turn on the option to hold an amateur draft each year, there are additional options made available that let you trade future draft picks, recently drafted players, etc.

You can only trade draft picks for the next draft, and not for future years. Since the human player knows in advance some of the high level talent coming out in the next draft, and the AI does not, it’s a way to spam the system to acquire high level of talent below market cost.
Mizzery is offline   Reply With Quote