Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 11-17-2013, 12:16 PM   #21
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
I created the Indy thread since I was unsure of which route to go but typically I pull up the city on Wikipedia and research the city more. I lived near Indy for a time and have been there dozens of times since I have family there. For my ABF league I have the Indianapolis Speed, but wanted to go into a different direction and was happy that that name got shot down. Many of my ABF names have a historical significance to them. Chicago Fire, Boston Fightin' Irish, New York Empires, Cleveland Rockers, Houston Rockets, etc.
Arrows, I tell you. Arrows!

There's real fake history with that name.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 01:40 PM   #22
Erik
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
I ate at an Italian restaurant like that once. A few years later I saw in the newspaper that the owner admitted under oath to being a member of an organized crime syndicate.

Sometimes appearances are deceiving, and sometimes they aren't.
This was the restaurant I went to. Randazzo's Italian Restaurant

I was all by myself on a business trip. The portion size was large and I was in a hotel without a fridge or microwave. Regardless I took the leftovers with me for fear of upsetting the kitchen staff.

It was actually really good food. It's owned by a former boxer. Would honestly recommend it if anyone went there.
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:08 PM   #23
Ike348
All Star Starter

How do you name your fictional/relocated teams?

So going through the defunct leagues on Wikipedia was pretty interesting, with all of those "Class-D" leagues. Teams like the High Point Furniture Makers of the Piedmont Leage and the Selma Cloverleafs of the Alabama-Florida League definitely strike fear into opponent's hearts.

DreamTeams, sooner or later I'll check out that book full of baseball team nicknames. I also must thank you for your beautiful fictional ballparks that I use in other leagues.

The BB-ref link was very helpful. I think for cities without historical minor leagues, the town will be small enough that I can just use the only high school nickname. For those that do, I'll pick the one I like best.

For the big cities that haven't really had any minor league teams, because they've always had a major league team, I don't want to use the big league name. I decided I'll go with a name of a minor league affiliate.

In future leagues, I'll go through "The Nickname Project" and Justafan's logos and look for names and jerseys that look cool. But the purpose of this league was to use cities from the "Top 10 per State" jersey project, so the city was more important than the name.

Also, I'll take others suggestions and base teams off of places I've been (Bluff, Utah, anybody?) and the nicknames off of what I remember most about the place.

Thanks to all of those who responded, still looking for some more ideas though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike348 View Post
Even in a parallel universe, the Astros don't make the playoffs.

Last edited by Ike348; 11-17-2013 at 05:11 PM.
Ike348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:16 PM   #24
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Arrows, I tell you. Arrows!

There's real fake history with that name.
Think I am gonna go Arrows but use Silvams Indianapolis uniforms to start.
What about Arrow-Racers?
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:15 PM   #25
bleachercreature
Major Leagues

It's a very random process. Some times it's alliteration. Sometimes it's taking something from that city. For example,Nashville, Memphis are always good for something to do with music. Cities along the Great lakes are always good for water references.

Almost every league: San Diego Armada. It sounds great and the city has a great military tradition.

Another one I always seem to use is Atlanta Generals. It just sound good, and probably has something do with watching The Dukes of Hazard growing up.

Other cities I might use a minor league team.
bleachercreature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:04 PM   #26
Afino
Hall Of Famer

For my league, with the exception of my home city (which I wanted to be something certain), I took a database of street names in our area and used them for fictional city names.

Then I just took semi-common nicknames and matched them up to whatever sounded "right".

I used this site:

(an example)

http://www.melissadata.com/lookups/z...p?InData=14227

After removing anything that just wouldn't "fit", I'd make each zip code into a country, giving each "city" a random population.

Last edited by Afino; 07-14-2014 at 07:08 PM.
Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:58 PM   #27
MarkVIIIMarc
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I have random ideas. In my league I am the St Louis Stallions so I named my minor league teams things like the Miami Mules. Other teams in my major league division are in state cities with whatever inspired me. Maybe in the NL I will name things after Medal of Honor winners and if my AL tries to go DH again I'll rename each team after someone shot for treason.
MarkVIIIMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:17 PM   #28
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
I name each team in my league after one of my children. It is currently a 14 team league, but we are going to have to expand in the fall......
Questdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:37 PM   #29
MarkVIIIMarc
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questdog View Post
I name each team in my league after one of my children. It is currently a 14 team league, but we are going to have to expand in the fall......
Lol. Congratulations.

You get a few more and you'll have a team at home!
MarkVIIIMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 04:44 PM   #30
Ike348
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afino View Post
For my league, with the exception of my home city (which I wanted to be something certain), I took a database of street names in our area and used them for fictional city names.

Then I just took semi-common nicknames and matched them up to whatever sounded "right".

I used this site:

(an example)

Street Name Lookup

After removing anything that just wouldn't "fit", I'd make each zip code into a country, giving each "city" a random population.
Thanks for this! Used it to find high school names for my league!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike348 View Post
Even in a parallel universe, the Astros don't make the playoffs.
Ike348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:43 PM   #31
Antonin
Hall Of Famer

If I am using jerseys with a city name on them, I pick the team nickname by just opening the dictionary at a random page and plopping my index finger down. If I don't like the selection, I repeat the process. In my fictional leagues I love non-traditional names.

For example, my African Baseball Association includes the Tripoli Reducers, Kampala Diodes, Kigali Retros, Algiers Offsets, etc.

I also like names related to astronomy. So, I often have teams called the Comets, Pulsars, Red Giants, etc.
Cultural icons, gone but not forgotten: David Bowie, Lou Reed, William S. Burroughs, Tristan Tzara, Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsburg, Jimi Hendrix, John Cage, Johnny Thunders (New York Dolls), Mike Hudson (The Pagans), Joey Ramone (Ramones), Stiv Bators (Dead Boys), Tomata Du Plenty (The Screamers), Joe Strummer (The Clash), Lester Bangs

Last edited by Antonin; 08-04-2014 at 05:48 PM.
Antonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 03:57 PM   #32
sdw1000
All Star Reserve

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
I use defunct sports teams, college or high school names, or something that fits the city/area that the team represents. Such as ..New Hampshire Granites. So many options when choosing names. I still wanna do a beer league. lol
sdw1000 is offline   Reply With Quote