Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 09-02-2013, 08:58 PM   #1
Nunyer
All Star Reserve

10 years... six versions... thousands of games...

... and only my 2nd no hitter in all that time!

Dan 'Shoebox' Drew, 26 years old, was sent down to the minors after his first five starts. He had a record of 0-2 with an ERA north of 6.00... An injury to my #1 starter forced his recall, and in his first start with the big club... He spins the no-no. My young pitching staff doesn't have a single player over 2.5 stars, so I doubt my fast start can be sustained... But Mr. Drew made me forget my worries for now.

I swear to all that is holy... I must have lost 15 or 20 no hitter bids in the 9th inning over the years... Felt good when this one was over. My wife and kids were in the adjoining room watching a movie... and I scared the *bleep* out of them with my victory shout when it was over... Amazing how this silly little stat generator can pull you in...
Nunyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:26 PM   #2
tcblcommish
Hall Of Famer

Very nice
tcblcommish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:12 PM   #3
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunyer View Post
... and only my 2nd no hitter in all that time!
Don't feel bad; the Mets had gone some 50 years and over 8,000 games without a no hitter until Johan Santana did it for them in June, 2012.

[Done that with the "victory shout" as well. My loved ones are used to my sometimes boisterous exuberance, however. ]

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:41 PM   #4
Nunyer
All Star Reserve

Yea, I don't think I have 50+ seasons of managing games under my belt yet... but I'm getting close... Probably right around 40 seasons of managing almost every game when spread across my three longest running fictional leagues. I guess that's not too bad considering the first version that really made me into an addict was OOTP8... but damn this game can be a time sink.

And let's all have a short moment of silence for those poor San Diego Padres... coming up on 44 years without a no-hitter.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:53 PM   #5
philliesphan26
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Yea, I don't think I have 50+ seasons of managing games under my belt yet... but I'm getting close... Probably right around 40 seasons of managing almost every game when spread across my three longest running fictional leagues. I guess that's not too bad considering the first version that really made me into an addict was OOTP8... but damn this game can be a time sink.

And let's all have a short moment of silence for those poor San Diego Padres... coming up on 44 years without a no-hitter.
If you don't mind me asking how do you play? Sim out all your games?
philliesphan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:28 PM   #6
Nunyer
All Star Reserve

In regards to the reply you quoted, those 40 seasons or so would be ones that I managed most games manually using one-pitch mode. I'll usually sim through spring training and sometimes I'll sim through some September games if I've locked up the playoffs or am way out of the hunt... but I play out the vast majority. I put in about 22-23 seasons in a league started in OOTP8 and played sporadically over the course of three years or so... Then I had about 15 seasons in a league that ran over OOTP12 and 13.

I've tried a bunch of sim-only leagues over the years, but in general, they don't seem to keep my interest over the long haul... The only exception has been doing a few random debut historical leagues in v13/v14. I've been primarily simming the results there and have been enjoying them as a change of pace from human managing.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:55 PM   #7
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

congratulations I know the feeling I just had my first no-hitter since version 2001 (was called season ticket back then)

Maybe its our year for those who had the game for ages to finally get the tough achievements WOOHOO HIGH FIVE to you
r0nster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:40 PM   #8
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Congratulations! I've never had a no hitter in a game I've played out.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:13 AM   #9
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomaniac View Post
Congratulations! I've never had a no hitter in a game I've played out.
I've had a couple. I can tell you, it's almost like the real thing in intensity!

Everything slows down to a crawl as you hesitate for seconds, minutes even, before clicking "1-Pitch" with your sweat-drenched mouse. It's like you don't want to, but you must!

Click. You close your eyes and then open them very slowly, squinting through eyelids to see whether the dreaded SINGLE! (or worse) is displayed. When you see an out instead, you breathe a sigh of relief then start working up the courage for the next batter, the next "1-Pitch."

Then, when the last out is recorded and your pitcher has scored his no-no, you yell out "YES!" and, as Nunyer says, you scare the crap out of people sitting in the room with you.

Unless, of course, they are already used to OOTPB-playing nut jobs like me!

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 09-04-2013 at 12:15 AM.
Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:21 AM   #10
philliesphan26
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
In regards to the reply you quoted, those 40 seasons or so would be ones that I managed most games manually using one-pitch mode. I'll usually sim through spring training and sometimes I'll sim through some September games if I've locked up the playoffs or am way out of the hunt... but I play out the vast majority. I put in about 22-23 seasons in a league started in OOTP8 and played sporadically over the course of three years or so... Then I had about 15 seasons in a league that ran over OOTP12 and 13.

I've tried a bunch of sim-only leagues over the years, but in general, they don't seem to keep my interest over the long haul... The only exception has been doing a few random debut historical leagues in v13/v14. I've been primarily simming the results there and have been enjoying them as a change of pace from human managing.
Damn now that's dedication. Wish I had that type of patience haha. I'm a sim only man myself (looking at every box score), but I've never even made it close to 2060!
philliesphan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:26 AM   #11
Nunyer
All Star Reserve

Most of my play time with the game is done while watching the Tigers on television... It's pretty easy to get through 15 games or so during a regular MLB broadcast... So while I've wasted a lot of time with OOTP over the years, it's time I would have been basically spending in couch potato mode anyways.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:16 PM   #12
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
I am still trying to figure out why so many Tiger fans play this game.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:46 PM   #13
SandMan
Hall Of Famer

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
I am still trying to figure out why so many Tiger fans play this game.

They want a Major League team, rather than watching AAAA......
SandMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:51 PM   #14
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

Tigers fans are baseball fans and Michigan wolverines fans
r0nster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:52 PM   #15
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandMan View Post
Ouch
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:55 PM   #16
Hanson Bros
Hall Of Famer

never had one but in solo leagues I only play the playoff games ... I was being no-hit into the 8th just recently but got a single to break it up

UTBA3
Hanson Bros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:05 PM   #17
SandMan
Hall Of Famer

I must be one of the unlucky person playing the game..... I have 2 no-hitters in 3000 or more starts, when I was playing games out (sim 7 innings and play the last two innings) and given up over 10, including one perfect game..... My no-hitters were in OOTP6.5 so I don't know if those count but they were easy to remember since I have so few of them.....

Cherish every one of them since you may not get another one in a while....
SandMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:18 PM   #18
Nunyer
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandMan View Post
Heh... this might have stung a little bit if it had been delivered 8 or 10 years ago when the team was indeed awful.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:29 PM   #19
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Started with OOTP 12 in the winter 2011-12. Spent the vast majority of my playing time with my Raccoons, and have completed 2,331 games in play-by-play mode with them (14 1/3 seasons), and have witnessed three no-hitters, two for my team and one against.

The first no-hitter came right after a month by a pitcher that ended up with a 27-59 or so career. The other one was pitched two seasons ago by a young hotshot, who's 30-15 with a 3.08 ERA for his young career and this season is leading the league in ERA. I'm planning on having lots of fun with him.

And then I had that one, that I lost, and that totally stung, and still does. Locked in a division battle in July with a team I hate, we played four, and one of my pitchers was carrying a no-hitter into the eighth, until it was broken up with a single through the seam on the left. My pitcher lost a 1-hitter, 1-0, on an unearned run that was already on the board. And the Raccoons were swept in the series and tumbled into a slump until the end of the season, being soundly beaten to the playoffs.

But I have two no-hitters in 2,331 games with them. Probably less than 3,000 games with OOTP overall. Played upwards of 1,000 games with PureSim before that, never saw a no-hitter.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:23 PM   #20
Nunyer
All Star Reserve

Turnabout is fair play...

Only a HBP spoiled the perfect game against me...

I am in the middle of what is easily the coldest cold streak I can ever remember having... Not so much because of the length, I've only lost five in row and 10 of 15 and lord knows I've had worse teams... But it's just how awful my offense has been over those last five games: 4 total runs (three games I was shutout) with a batting average of .132 (20 for 152). Went from a five lead in the division to being three games down. Still holding onto the last wild card spot by a couple games... but ugh.